cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

Journeyman

Re: LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

@Em_Will_I_Am Yes, I am ready, but if you were going to sign off, I don't mean to keep you. Thanks for getting back so soon, I appreciate it.

Community Manager

Check your PM.

@1Geo1 wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am Yes, I am ready, but if you were going to sign off, I don't mean to keep you. Thanks for getting back so soon, I appreciate it.

Journeyman

I had exact the same issue as you have.
So first re-lock, then unlock again by @Em_Will_I_Am with magic code, reboot and patience.
Then update prl profile and uicc
After this, the phone can recognize my metro SIM card and you can make phone call.

Finally I added metro apn by myself

@1Geo1 wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am, anyway we can work some magic over here? I am getting a sim card icon with an exclamation point up top on the notification bar. On the other hand, I still get the authentication error when I try to do system updates. The only difference right now is I see signal bars, whereas before I would see an "X" in their place.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Watch some hater say, "WILL DID NOT HELP ME!!"  Smiley Wink

@Geauga0609 wrote:

I had exact the same issue as you have.
So first re-lock, then unlock again by @Em_Will_I_Am with magic code, reboot and patience.
Then update prl profile and uicc
After this, the phone can recognize my metro SIM card and you can make phone call.

Finally I added metro apn by myself

@1Geo1 wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am, anyway we can work some magic over here? I am getting a sim card icon with an exclamation point up top on the notification bar. On the other hand, I still get the authentication error when I try to do system updates. The only difference right now is I see signal bars, whereas before I would see an "X" in their place.

Journeyman

@Geauga0609 I see, that makes sense. I am working with Will right now as we speak. 

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am SUCCESS!!!!!!!! WILL, YOU ROCK! Forget the haters lol. I don't know what technical magic you worked on your end, but you deserve a promotion! Somebody please get Will a raise!!! I just want to let it be known that I have been struggling with this problem for about two months now, and even considered throwing my beautiful phone away, but then, just as I was about to lose hope, all of a sudden BOOM! Will comes out of nowhere and FIXED IT!

Community Manager

BOOM!

@1Geo1 wrote:
SUCCESS!!!!!!!! WILL, YOU ROCK! Forget the haters lol. I don't know what technical magic you worked on your end, but you deserve a promotion! Somebody please get Will a raise!!! I just want to let it be known that I have been struggling with this problem for about two months now, and even considered throwing my beautiful phone away, but then, just as I was about to lose hope, all of a sudden BOOM! Will comes out of nowhere and FIXED IT!

Journeyman

@Geauga0609 Thanks for helping out and sharing the knowledge! Gotta admit, Will really came through and helped us out. 

Community Manager

Like I try to tell people...just trust the process.  You will be amazed how many people freak out when I say I'm going to relock the phone.  "I DON'T WANT LOCK THE PHONE!!!"  We spend all day going back and forth in PMs until I talk them off the ledge.  Thanks to you too for trusting the process.

@1Geo1 wrote:

@Geauga0609 Thanks for helping out and sharing the knowledge! Gotta admit, Will really came through and helped us out. 

Journeyman

All righty will. Let me first explain to everyone that I had the same issue as everyone in this thread. Sprint refused to help because they say that in their database it says phone is unlocked, case closed. After finally getting the right tech support and being told that my phone was incompatible or I was doing something wrong on my end and one tech even told me that the phone only works on Sprint so unlocking won't do anything for me, I got it unlocked using the UICC unlock using chat support.

I had service with sprint for 1 year and then some. I finally figured out what happened. Several companies have deals with Sprint so that they can buy phones from them, a couple of these companies took phones from Sprint warehouses and re-flashed LGv20 Sprint firmware on already unlocked phones. Re-locking them and them selling them. They aren't going to tell you who did it but I imagine since they are still dumping these phones on people that Sprint's internal dept has probably got this figured out.

So this is entirely the fault of the reseller that had ROW and took the "factory unlocked" phones and flashed locked firmware back onto them.

If Sprint had just been upfront and realized that even though this was a reseller mistake they still have to unlock the phone for the customer regardless of fault. I blame the reseller for not disclosing the fact that they made this error and I blame Sprint support for giving me heck about re-unlocking it by telling me they can't unlock an unlocked phone. So I know that you William have the process down and you know what to do but what I want to know is who was the one that re-flashed my phone? Because it had to be someone with a legal contract with sprint and it had to be someone with access to Sprint's internal firmwares and flashing tools and that stuff is not easy to get access to.

If you can clear it up for me I would be happy to point out to you the reseller that knowingly sold me a re-locked phone (knowing that I would catch heck getting it re-unlocked), as I know this probably most definitely violated their own legal agreements internally and probably violated their own IT policy by doing it. What I want is some closure, and some disclosure as to who did this and why tech support wasn't informed properly that people would be experiencing re-locked phones because of the mistake.

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Like I try to tell people...just trust the process.  You will be amazed how many people freak out when I say I'm going to relock the phone.  "I DON'T WANT LOCK THE PHONE!!!"  We spend all day going back and forth in PMs until I talk them off the ledge.  Thanks to you too for trusting the process.  

Hmmmm.. I can get it. Just like the joke says:

• One day a mathematician decides that he is sick of math. So, he walks down to the fire department and announces that he wants to become a fireman.The fire chief says, "Well, you look like a good guy. I'd be glad to hire you, but first I have to give you a little test."

The firechief takes the mathematician to the alley behind the fire department which contains a dumpster, a spigot, and a hose. The chief then says, "OK, you're walking in the alley and you see the dumpster here is on fire. What do you do?"

The mathematician replies, "Well, I hook up the hose to the spigot, turn the water on, and put out the fire."The chief says, "That's great... perfect. Now I have to ask you just one more question. What do you do if you're walking down the alley and you see the dumpster is not on fire?"

The mathematician puzzles over the question for awhile and he finally says, "I light the dumpster on fire."

The chief yells, "What? That's horrible! Why would you light the dumpster on fire?"

The mathematician replies, "Well, that way I reduce the problem to one I've already solved."
Community Manager

It's really not a big conspiracy that you make it out to be.  Quite simply, the phone is doing what it designed to do.  It has a Sprint ROM on it and it relocks itself thinking it's a Sprint phone.  Preliminary research suggests it may be a Google issue and how it reads the unlock parameter.  All of those in this thread and all the folks who PM me say the same thing.  The phone was all good until I got an update.  What we have seen is when one goes from one major Android update to another, like from Marshmallow to Nougat, Nougat to Oreo, Oreo to Pie, etc, the unlock is broken.  It not just the V20.  I've seen it on the V30, the Essential and some Samsung.  Just look at the Essential thread...same issues.

No conspiracy, just 1's and 0's not playing nice.

@CirkusOleay23 wrote:

All righty will. Let me first explain to everyone that I had the same issue as everyone in this thread. Sprint refused to help because they say that in their database it says phone is unlocked, case closed. After finally getting the right tech support and being told that my phone was incompatible or I was doing something wrong on my end and one tech even told me that the phone only works on Sprint so unlocking won't do anything for me, I got it unlocked using the UICC unlock using chat support.

I had service with sprint for 1 year and then some. I finally figured out what happened. Several companies have deals with Sprint so that they can buy phones from them, a couple of these companies took phones from Sprint warehouses and re-flashed LGv20 Sprint firmware on already unlocked phones. Re-locking them and them selling them. They aren't going to tell you who did it but I imagine since they are still dumping these phones on people that Sprint's internal dept has probably got this figured out.

So this is entirely the fault of the reseller that had ROW and took the "factory unlocked" phones and flashed locked firmware back onto them.

If Sprint had just been upfront and realized that even though this was a reseller mistake they still have to unlock the phone for the customer regardless of fault. I blame the reseller for not disclosing the fact that they made this error and I blame Sprint support for giving me heck about re-unlocking it by telling me they can't unlock an unlocked phone. So I know that you William have the process down and you know what to do but what I want to know is who was the one that re-flashed my phone? Because it had to be someone with a legal contract with sprint and it had to be someone with access to Sprint's internal firmwares and flashing tools and that stuff is not easy to get access to.

If you can clear it up for me I would be happy to point out to you the reseller that knowingly sold me a re-locked phone (knowing that I would catch heck getting it re-unlocked), as I know this probably most definitely violated their own legal agreements internally and probably violated their own IT policy by doing it. What I want is some closure, and some disclosure as to who did this and why tech support wasn't informed properly that people would be experiencing re-locked phones because of the mistake.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat