cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: LG G Flex 'Phablet' is no phad!

Sprint Product Ambassador

medium01_sprint.jpg

It's BIG! It's SUPER SIZED! It's...a PHABLET!

A "Phablet?" Yes! The term "phablet" refers to a smartphone that's big enough to double as (or replace) a tablet. The phablet category generally refers to smartphones with screen sizes that range from 5.0 to 6.9 inches. Phablets have been around for a few years and many tech journalists have laughed them off as "fad" devices that would never catch on.

"They're too big."

"They're too bulky!"

...but they make phone calls and text. So, hey, maybe they're onto something. But can they really replace a tablet?

I've been fortunate enough to test and carry several "phablet" devices (if we're considering a 5" screen smartphone as the minimum requirement); Galaxy Note II (5.5"), Galaxy S IV (5.0"), Galaxy Note 3 (5.7"), Nexus 5 (5.0"), and now the LG G Flex (6.0"). Honorable mentions go out to the LG G2 (5.2") and the Galaxy Mega (6.3") but I did not carry or test them.

My "measuring stick" for what makes a phablet boils down to two factors: Giant screen combined with powerful core processing for gaming and apps. You have to be able to actually not hate reading lengthy material (email, e-books, blogs or lengthy Facebook rants), or surfing atop subway trains with nary a frame skip, on the device. Anything less and I'll just wait until I can use my tablet. That said, of the phablets that I've carried, the LG G Flex comes closest to being a realistic tablet replacement (or supplement).

Ya, but phablets are a fad. They are just oversized smartphones, right? Not so fast...

BGR released a recent post about the future of phablets:

"The supersized smartphone is here to stay. According to the latest findings from market research firm Juniper Research, annual phablet unit shipments reached somewhere near 20 million in 2013, and are expected to rise to 120 million by 2018. massive 500% increase..."

"With phablets coming from both major worldwide vendors and small local companies, Juniper believes the market will expand in both directions, offering potential customers options at a wide range of price points."

The G Flex has the power to play your favorite games and multi-task all your office productivity and social network apps. Plus the display is massive, bright, sharp and ergonomically curved to "fit" your face perfectly, whether you're watching videos, playing games or talking on the phone. As a bonus, the massive 3,500 mAh battery in the G Flex means as much as 29 hours of talk time! That means the G Flex won't leave you scrambling for an outlet after you've been watching videos, playing games, checking your social statuses, pounding out email and then you get stuck at a doctor's office for two extra hours.

The icing on this phablet cake is that the G Flex is Sprint Spark capable right out of the box. If you're in a Spark enabled area then your G Flex can pull down data up to 60 Mbs. If you're not in a Spark area today then you will likely get Sprint's awesome 4G LTE network in hundreds of places.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs are not corporate communications, CARE, technical support, product management or product marketing and should not be expected to respond to Community members in the capacity of any of these roles.