cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: LG G Pad F 7.0 - My First Impressions

Journeyman

So I got the LG G Pad F 7.0 recently and I quickly deactivated my Samsung TAB 3 so that I could get this puppy up and running. Out of the box I fell in love with the design. I really have never been a white back kind of guy, but I also had never had a device in white...got to say I like it.

Once activated it began to install my backed up apps, and I set my accounts up accordingly...I quickly feel back in love with LG's Knock feature to both put to sleep and awake the device (tap twice on the screen to accomplish this). This is something I still do on my Nexus 6 by mistake . Along with that I prefer LG's split screen mode over Samsung's so this was a plus. Then I found a fun setting that when turned on will auto zoom/unzoom on any screen by triple tapping. Now, I'm not saying this doesn't exist outside of the G Pad F 7.0, but this is something I've always wanted. I comes in handy when you are trying to get a closer look at a non-mobile friendly site's small font.

So after discovering these fun things, my device stopped installing apps...it had ran out of storage...I knew the device was 8GB internal, but I was not prepared for how little this was after you take in account Android 5.0.5 (LOLLIPOP!!!!) and the other baked in LG goodness, and the added bloatware that I have trained my eyes to simply ignore. But no worries, I popped in a 64GB sd card and transferred some apps to SD and got back to work.

I was a little afraid of the LTE only network capabilities of the device. I live and play in Austin, TX and we do have a strong LTE/Sprint Spark presence here; however on the weekends we travel to places in the middle of nowhere for my 11 year olds travel baseball team. I keep the stats and rebroadcast the game via iScore so folks can watch pitch by pitch and follow updates on Twitter. So I really needed this bad boy to get a signal. So come friday night when we were getting things ready for our absurdly early Saturday morning start, I packed the mobile hotspot. Once we got out to the park I was surprised that I had a reliable and quick LTE connection. My phone showed 3G...perplexed I put my device on airplane mode, then back off...and then boom LTE on my phone as well. I promise that not more than 3 weeks ago that was not the case at this particular ball park (same exact seat i sat in last time and everything.) So props to Sprint!!

agpadcards.pngThen yesterday, I cranked it up after it had been sitting fully charged for at least 36 hours without usage (device on, just sleeping)...the battery was still at 100%...OK I thought, that's pretty impressive, I was expecting in the 70-80 range. I then found myself playing on the PokerStars App (for poker fans, i find this to be my favorite simply because you can play in larger/longer tournaments...also the app is really awesome for multi table play. I was really impressed with their app!) I sat there, relaxing, for about 5 hours continuously, just playing. When I finally sat it down, I noticed the battery indicator was still pretty full. So i went into the stats and saw that the battery level was at 85%...The app itself only took up 4% of the battery and my screen ontime was around 6 hours...I was at about 60% brightness. I have to say, this was jaw dropping.

Now I have noticed from time to time some lag when multitasking from app to app, and while using Chromecast. It hasn't been anything overly frustrating, just a small thing I've seen. I also have never been a fan of LG not giving the devices the ability to auto scale the brightness levels.

But overall, I like my G Pad F 7.0...If I were in the market for a starter tablet, or for a tablet mainly used to browse and play to take some of the battery strain off my phone, I'd for sure consider the GPad...especially since "New and existing customers can purchase the G Pad F 7.0 for free in select retail channels with a new two-year service agreement and data plan as long as the customer has an active smartphone on their Sprint account. For a limited time." - Sprint

So in summary...the LG G Pad F 7.0 offers great value and is a solid choice based off of my first week with it, for anyone in the market for an entry level/replacement tablet. Also if you have an LG3 series device, it works well to sync with that...but more on that to come.

agpad.png

PRODUCT AMBASSADOR DISCLAIMER

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.