cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors– LG GPad Tablet: First impressions

Sprint Product Ambassador

I have had the Samsung Note 8.0 table for over two years and very happy with the device.  However, when being offered the chance to try out the new LG GPad 7.0 Tablet from sprint, I had no hesitation and was in fact to be very excited accept the offer.  The fact is that this is not just another tablet, it is a tablet that Sprint offers with 4G and WiFi service, note: no 3G.  Sprint is offering this device for FREE Two-Year Agreement and Any Active Sprint Smartphone, so it can be a good deal that you should consider.

Here is the key features as you can find on the LG GPad 7.0 page on Sprint web site:

Key features

Android 5.0 (Lollipop)

Packed with a wealth of features such as a guest user setting and a battery saver option, Android 5.0 Lollipop offers a truly alluring experience. A brand-new vibrant and responsive design gives you consistency across all your devices.

Sprint Spark

This Sprint Spark capable, enhanced LTE device was designed to take full advantage of all three of Sprint’s LTE bands to deliver our fastest data speeds ever offered and improved in-building coverage. Sprint Spark enhanced LTE coverage is available in select markets. Visit sprint.com/coverage for more info.

Pictures

5.0 MP rear-facing auto-focus camera and 1.2 MP front-facing camera with Gesture Shot.

Entertainment

Your phone doubles as your personal portable TV, radio or MP3 player.

GPS Navigation

Autonomous and simultaneous GPS using Sprint Navigation for turn by turn directions, and points of interest searches.

Apps & social networking

With cool apps and easy access to your favorite social networking sites, you're in the loop on the go.

Web

The built-in Web access provides real time access to check sports scores, news, weather, stocks and market indexes, as well as to shop on-line.

Wi-Fi

Connect to Wi-Fi to enjoy faster data speeds, improved battery life and increased in-building data coverage.

Mobile Hotspot

Connect up to 8 Wi-Fi-enabled devices at one time. Easily connect a Wi-Fi-enabled laptop, camera, music player, game unit or video player, or share an internet connection on the go. Additional fee may be required.

Calendar

Don't miss a meeting, access your calendar and get reminders on the go.

Video

Interesting things happen when you least expect them. You can capture these unexpected moments with short video clips that you can view, store and send to friends and family.

Sprint ID

The latest Android innovation from Sprint, allows you to instantly personalize your phone to complement your needs and interests.

Sprint Zone

Your one-stop source to access your wireless account, phone tips, news, a list of top apps and more. Access Sprint TV, GPS Navigation, NBA Game Time, NASCAR Mobile '13 and Sprint Music Plus.

HD Music

This device supports high definition music tracks with outstanding clarity and fidelity. No additional software is required, just download files from companies like HDtracks or iTrax.com onto your phone, press play and enjoy.

Bluetooth®

Enables hands-free, short-range wireless communication using a Bluetooth headset and wireless uploading/downloading to or from a computer and more.

FM Radio (NextRadio®)

Enjoy free access to your favorite artists, songs and station with NextRadio, the intelligent radio app for your smartphone. Tag your favorite music, share them with your friends and view song details like album art, song , artist, and album title. Learn more

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Processor

Qualcomm Snapdragon™ processors give your mobile devices breathtaking speed, jaw-dropping graphics and long battery life so you can do more of the things you love. Snapdragon processors incorporate the latest in mobile architecture design and technology, offering intelligent connectivity, high performance and energy efficiency. Learn more

Here are pictures of the unboxed LG GPad:

LG-GPad-unboxing.jpg

The 7 inch size of the device makes it fit my hands quite nicely (compared with my Note 8.0 Tablet). I think it would be a nice eBook device. Android Lollipop comes with the device. I have not noticed any real difference in the User Interface here, so may have to report that later.

Charged the battery, powered up the box, and installed the minimum amount of apps that I need to use (no email, no evernote) I found that I hardly had 1G of memory left:

Screenshot_2015-03-21-06-36-07.png

Last week I had to go to the field doing some drive testing in Philadelphia, PA. I used My Tracks to record the drive and it was very useful.  Sprint has good 4G coverage in Philadelphia so My Tracks did a really nice job, helping me to complete full coverage of the drive route.

Concerning about the low memory.  I performed a hard reset on the device, and after reinstalling all the apps that I had before, suddenly I have more memory on the LG GPad 2.1GB vs. 1.1GB).

Screenshot_2015-03-31-16-18-50.png

So if you want to use the GPad on a regular basis, I would suggest you add a micro SD card to your GPad to store your books, music, and pictures.

And here is a quick summary of my observations after about one week use of the device:

• The foot print is good as a reading device
  • The display is ok
  • Definitely need to add a micro SD card for normal use
  • Sometime slightly sluggish and I do not know if it is something that I need to tweak or not
  • 4G service is very nice where you have service

I will explore other features and will report it here for you.

Watch this space.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.