cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At Home with the LG G Stylo: Sprint Product Ambassador

Sprint Product Ambassador

The moment I heard about this LG G Stylo, I felt it would be a great option for parents who have children taking their first turn with a smart phone.  My 12 yr old has spent time with the phone as well and has kindly shared her thoughts so I can pass then along here.  After moving her music and pictures to expandable memory, kiddo found she had plenty of room for the apps and games she likes. 

I admit, I'm struggling with the 8GB storage of the LG G Stylo but I am an intensive app user.  In addition to games, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.  I also usually install a separate launcher from the stock version, along with themes to customize the look of the phone's interface (right now it's a coffee theme, thank you!).  The device has an expansion slot for a card up to 64GB which easily eliminates storage issues for music and pictures  but I still had to begin using a web version of one bank account as I did not have room for all the secure apps I usually keep installed on a device.

While test driving the phone, kiddo thought she'd run into an issue with lag on one of her games.  Not so!  The LG G Stylo has a triple tap zoom feature: tap the screen three times to zoom in on anything.  When playing games which require tapping the screen for certain moves, the device seemed to get confused and this is what caused the lag.  Easy enough to fix, though.  My daughter simply disabled the triple tap zoom, after which game play was easy.

Neither of us used the stylus much in our first tour of the phone but plan to look for apps and games that feature it and report back.  One definite advantage that Mom found to the stylus is that it keeps the screen free of finger prints and grease that typically collects on the device from constant handling.  I also find that I can 'write' with the QWERTY keyboard fairly quickly using the stylus.  Perhaps even faster than I can tap out words on the LG keyboard.

LG G Stylo features knock code security to unlock the screen.  You create a pattern of 3 - 8 touches in 4 different places on the screen, similar to drawing patterns on other devices. At first, I found that I frequently 'missed' the right spots the first time and thus locked myself out of my phone temporarily until it let me try again.  I was able to solve the problem by setting a detailed locker image.  A bright, intricate pattern; I now had very specific points on the screen to touch and found I no longer 'missed' the knock code.  Plus, what's not to love about a bright pretty pattern when you're waking up your phone?

With the device in hand, it's easy to wake or launch by pressing the back button.  We're both coming from other manufacturers and are used to a hard menu key to wake the phone from the front.  Kiddo complained that she wasn't able to wake if it lay flat on a table, until I showed her how to tap twice on the screen to wake it.  Next time, maybe she'll listen to Mom and read the user guide before she thinks she knows it all.

We both felt the camera takes amazing photos, front and back, with filters or without.  Kiddo particularly liked the Selfie feature of the front photo to correct what she perceives as less than perfect skin (Of course, I think she's perfect, she's my kid!). 

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee