cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G Stylo - Initial Thoughts: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG is one of my favorite brands in the mobile device space, so I was thrilled to get my hands on one of their latest devices, the LG G Stylo.

lggstylo3.jpg

The LG G Stylo is a mid-tier device. Being a high-end user that uses mobile devices for just about everything, I am always on guard when I try out a mid-tier device. I am pleased to report that week one with the Stylo has been quite satisfying. Since it has only been a week, this will be a general device overview/first impressions type of post.

The LG G Stylo is a sleek looking device. It has a 5.7" HD IPS display, but the actual device dimensions are 6.08" tall by 3.12" wide, and only .38" thick. It is a lightweight device at only 5.85 ounces. I am a phablet lover, so to me the size of this device is fantastic!

One of the cool features of this device is its stylus pen. The stylus works extremely well and the display is very responsive to the stylus input. I decided to try the stylus with other devices, and it doesn't seem to work well with them, but works flawlessly on the LG G Stylo. It is a great way to not get fingerprints and smudges all over the screen, and for taking notes, drawing, signing, and more.

LS770-stylus.jpg

The things I love about LG smartphones have been incorporated into the LG G Stylo, such ask their infamous Knock technology. Knock On and Knock Off (turns display on/off), and KnockCode to allow for entry into the device. They also incorporate their super buttons that are on the back of the device. This is one of my absolute favorite features of LG devices. It is so convenient to have the buttons on the back of the phone, rather than on the sides where people accidently push.

Another favorite LG smartphones feature of mine is its camera software, and the LG G Stylo comes equipped with that same incredible software. It offers features such as Laser Auto Focus, Soft Light, Gesture Shot, Beauty Shot, Interval Shot, and more. I will do a future LG G Stylo post on its camera. 

The processor is a mid-range 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. The device has 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of ROM (on board storage). The storage space is expandable by up to 32 GB with a MicroSD card. Should you purchase this device, you definitely need a MicroSD card, and I recommend using a 32 GB one.

Another great feature about this device is that it has a removable 3000 mAh battery. The battery offers up to 24 hours of talk time. So far, I can attest to the great quality and performance of this battery.

Let's get into the specs...

DEVICE SPECS/FEATURES

• Network: Sprint CDMA, Sprint 4G LTE*
  • Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon 1.2 GHz Quad-Core MSM8916
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • ROM: 8 GB (up to 3.39 GB usable memory)
  • MicroSD: Support up to 32 GB
  • Dimensions: 6.08" (H) x 3.12" (W) x 0.38" (D)
  • Weight: 5.85 oz
  • Display: 5.7" (720 x 1280) HD IPS Display with 258 ppi
  • Battery: 3,000 mAh
  • Talk Time: Up to 24 hours
  • Frequencies: CDMA 800 MHz CDMA, 1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, LTE Bands 25/26/41, LTE Roaming Bands 2/4/5/12
  • Wi-Fi Connectivity: 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Wi-Fi Hotspot: Share a 4G LTE data connection with other compatible wireless devices
  • Wi-Fi Direct: Connect directly to devices via Wi-Fi®.
  • Bluetooth Version: 4.1
  • Bluetooth Tethering: Share your phone's Internet connection with your computer and other Bluetooth®-capable devices.
  • SmartShare Beam: Wirelessly receive multimedia content from compatible LG devices.
  • Media Server: Allow compatible nearby devices to access your content.
  • GPS: S-GPS for Enhanced Location Accuracy

Entertainment

• Video Player: With Touch Lock and Resume Play Function; supports MP4, 3GP, and 3G2 formats
  • NextRadio: Local FM radio broadcast tuner app
  • Music Player: With Support for AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, M4A, AMR, MP3, MIDI, WAV, WMA, FLAC, and Ogg formats
  • Music Library: Organized by song, album, artist, genre, favorites, playlists, and folders; access other music via Nearby devices and LG Cloud
  • Media Device (MTP): Transfer files or synchronize with Windows® Media Player or Android File Transfer
  • Accelerometer: Control games by turning and tilting phone.

Camera

• Rear-Facing Camera: 8 MP Rear-Facing Camera and Full HD Camcorder with Laser Auto Focus and LED Flash
  • Front-Facing Camera: 5 MP Front-Facing Camera and Full HD Camcorder
  • Laser Auto Focus: Adjusts focus by measuring distance to subject using a laser, allowing faster focus speed even in low-light situations.
  • Camera Resolutions: Up to 3264 x 2448 (3264 x 1840 default)
  • Soft Light: Screen will illuminate a soft light around the photo preview for well-lit selfies.
  • Gesture Shot: Take selfies with a simple hand gesture.
  • Beauty Shot: Adjustable setting softens facial features.
  • Interval Shot:: Take 4 selfies on a timer.
  • Digital Zoom: Up to 4x
  • Geotagging: Include location information with photos and videos.
  • Shot Mode: Auto, Panorama*, and Dynamic Tone (HDR)
  • Burst Mode: Hold the shutter button to take multiple shots.
  • Video Resolutions: Up to 1920 x 1080 (1280 x 720 default)
  • Pause & Resume Recording: Pause and start in record mode for one continuous video file.
  • Live Shot: Take still shots while recording video.

Interactivity

• Glance View: When the display is asleep, check phone notifications with the swipe of a finger.
  • Do Not Disturb: Turn off all notifications except chosen ones, such as calls and calendar event reminders.
  • Knock On: Double tap the screen to put your phone to sleep/wake it without picking it up or pressing the Power/Lock Key.
  • Knock Code: Create a three to eight point tapping pattern for security and direct access to the home screen with over 86,000 possible combinations.
  • QuickMemo+: Write or draw on any screen and schedule memos to appear at certain times using calendar inputs or when the user reaches predetermined locations via GPS.
  • Dual Window: Use two apps on a split screen simultaneously.
  • Notification LED: Colored light alerts for incoming calls, missed calls and messages, and more
  • Multi Language Support: Yes
  • EasyHome: Show the dialer and other frequently used features right on the home screen for quick and easy access.

lggstylo2.jpg

If you're looking for a smart device that meets your needs and doesn't empty your wallet, you should definitely check out the LG G Stylo, available at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee