ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/31 - LG G2 Software Update - ZVB (Android KitKat)

Highlighted
Master

Re: 3/31 - LG G2 Software Update - ZVB (Android KitKat)

Incorrect, but commonly reiterated misinformation.

The Google Over The Air (GOTA) servers used by nearly all Android devices (other than HTC) operate on a random UUID system. When your phone is activated, it generates a unique identifier code that gets registered with Google's servers. When a new update is released, it is slowly rolled out across all of the unique identifier codes at a set pace (1% day one, 5% day two, etc.). The entire process can take up to 20 days for popular devices. This system means that the updates are made available in a spread pattern so everyone isn't downloading at once, and so that if issues are found post-release, it can be stopped while only a subset of devices were updated, not a majority.

Clearing Google Services Framework will sometimes allow you to download the update immediately, only because each time you do the phone regenerates it's unique identifier code again. This however does have side effects for some apps, potentially preventing them from working properly until the UUID has been synced across everything again (can take more than a week depending on app), this includes any Google developed or syncing app (Gmail, Google Play, Hangouts, YouTube, Calendar, etc.). Google Android developers have posted previously around the net about the side effect clearing GSF can have, and the detriments.

If you are already planning on factory resetting your device after an update (recommended anyway) then clearing GSF will have no side effects as a factory reset would remove anything reliant on your old UUID anyway.

Journeyman

Thanks for saying what I already said except 100 times longer and more complicated

Journeyman

It worked beautifully. Thanks!

Master

larp44- We're happy to see that you are enjoying your latest update. Let us know if you need any assistance in the future. Brittany Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

So I got the update OTA, i didn't have to do anything with the Google services framework, it just showed up yesterday morning when i woke up. Should I still perform a factory reset that erases everything off my phone? Thanks in advance.

Master

Craigers636- That's great that you got your update OTA! You don't have to perform a factory reset. Brittany Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Awesome, thanks. I just wasn't sure if performing the factory data reset was only for the people that forced the OTA update.

Master

Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate your loyalty and are very happy to hear you are satisfied. Now we can use this as a possibly fix for others with similar issues.

*Clyde

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

That's great and all, but I haven't even gotten the Spark update on my phone. It'll say that it's downloaded but when I complete installation, it restarts and says there was an error.

There is another line on the account that JUST got the KitKat update... What's up with that picture?

Master

Kaku If you get an error during the update of your device the best thing to do is a factory data reset to have it load correctly. Give this a try and see if it helps. Let me know if you have any questions. - Lorenzo
Journeyman

Lorenzo - When the update kept failing 2-3 times, I did do a factory reset. It kept doing that and I have refrained from doing another reset (too much headache to get everything back the way it was). The Android bot comes up, for only a few seconds. Then the bar loads about 1/5th of the way and just stops and the screen just flashes saying error and then restarts. I'll do another reset later on today and will let you know the outcome. I also have cleared the cache on my phone a few times. All it does is downloads the update again and tries to install, but to only crash again and still not work with Spark. I'm more interested in getting KitKat right now though (since my area isn't a Spark area - yet).

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Kaku

Master

Kaku,

I might recommend taking this into a Service and Repair store. The techs that work there may have access to get this taken care of via their triage laptop. Here is a link to find the closest S&R store to you www.sprint.com/storelocator. Let me know if this helps.

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat