cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G LTE problems with LG G2 Nationwide - a phone issue NOT Network!!!

Master

Re: 4G LTE problems with LG G2 Nationwide - a phone issue NOT Network!!!

wintergreenduck,

Thanks for reaching out. You’re correct, there is a known issue with Spark Capable devices, which includes the G2. There is an issue with the devices being able to toggle between LTE and 3G. We are currently working close with the manufacture on a fix for this issue. In the meantime please try to toggle airplane mode on and off. This will force the phone to find a fresh connection. You may also want to change your devices network mode to CDMA only when in a non LTE area. This should help to stabilize your connection to the network while we work on a resolution.

Regards,

Duane

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I'd like to provide some additional information about this issue and the LG G2 in general. First, I believe it to be primarily a phone issue and not a network issue, and will discuss this issue in the following. First and foremost when the LG G2 works it is an amazing phone, great processing speed, decent camera, amazing battery life. The major drawbacks are the defects with the phone and no sd card slot (which is nice to back stuff up on, I don't believe in the cloud much). Let me address this I'm on my 3rd LG G2 since the beginning of April, I believe 04-06-14 to be exact first phone had the burn in screen image defect first month and a 1/2, took it got replaced for $25 bucks because I have the insurance, 2nd phone worked great for about 2 months then all of a sudden it got stuck in head phone mode, I never had even used the headphone jack, tech took it apart examined for water damage, none found. $25 dollars later I had yet another refurbished phone. Which I am now having the issue of not being able to connect to 4g/LTE. 

Let me express that on the first 2, LG/G2 phones that I had for a combine 3 months I never had this issue, I repeat never, the phone would pick up the best signal wherever I may be at time, whether it be 3g or LTE, I repeat 2 phones and 3 months with default settings, never had an issue with service.  Ever since I've gotten my 3rd phone I've had issues left and right, and it has not connected to LTE once, keep in mind I work for a store that does delivers over a 150 square mile radius with some towns that have great LTE service.  But this phone has not connected to 4g/LTE one time in a week since I've had it.  I've done firmware, lg update, profile, prl updates several times.  ONCE AGAIN I REPEAT NEVER HAD THIS ISSUE WITH THE OTHER LG/G2s in the same area, but did with this one, so most likely a defective phone.

Master

The-Standard-Measure,

Thanks for your input. I'm very sorry to hear that you are on your 3rd LG G2 since April. It's a great device. It seems like it's both a device and network issue. Are you not getting the 4G LTE signal at all, or getting it but cannot connect? Please check the settings to make sure it is set to LTE/CDMA, go to settings>more>mobile networks>network mode. Please keep me posted.

​- Eric
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Sorry its taken me such a long time to respond Eric, but what happens exactly is that if I have it under global or lte/cdma settings in the network mode, is it that the signal bars randomly go gray with a red x on them for about 30 seconds as if its trying to connect to LTE / 4G but won't. I've tried to re-provision the phone and when it goes through the provision process it will pick up LTE / 4G signal but soon as it is done with the provision process it won't go back. I've update the profile several times. Once I update the profile it says complete, but I can immediately do it again if I wish an infinite amount of times and it will check network then say profile update. Should it do this or should it say your profile is up to date?

Master

The-Standard-Measure,

No worries, I know we all get busy. I am sorry to hear that this is the case. As long as the device is stating that the profile update went through, you should not need to immediately repeat the process. When you toggled Airplane mode on and then off again, did it help to require the LTE connection? Let me know.

*Ben
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Ben it did not help, it really doesn't matter though, I was able to get another solution from customer care not a fix for the problem but a way to help me. I just really posted on this thread because I think that Sprint needs to have all the knowledge possible to fix this issue, the LG G2 is really a great phone when everything works, and hopefully the LG G3 will get most of the problems fixed. For myself I will be getting either the note 3 or note 4, depending on the price drop of the note 3 and whether or not the note 4 has Spark, if note 4 does not have spark on it and is priced good I will be getting that

Master

The-Standard-Measure

Thank you for the feedback.

- Jean
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Does anyone know if this same issue affects the Lg G3?

Journeyman

It's been working okay since disabling 4G and running in CDMA only which limits data speeds to 3G. Texts go right through but calls are still dropped quite a bit. It's an awful phone running on an awful network. I love that LG has moved on to the next gen G3. My guess is that Sprint is hoping people will either uprade or just shut up about their G2's not working.

I'm absolutely amazed that they're not fixing this.

Journeyman

I have been having problems with my G2 phone ever since I received it. It does not always receive phone calls. Nothing in the call log but it I happen to use it I see I have received a voice mail. I have contacted tech support twice about this, most recently on 09/19/2014. They are in the process of sending me a replacement G2. I asked the tech if there was a problem with these phones or did I have a lemon. She responded and said (after she checked) and said she reassured me that there was no problems with the phones. This is an apparent lie now that I found this on SprintCare. So this means I am receiving a phone with the same problem.

Here is the problem in my case, I am disabled and this is the only phone I have. Currently I am dealing with blood clots in my left leg and I need to have contact with my doctor dealing with this problem. if he calls me and I don't get the call it could develop into a life threating situation. I can assure you if this happens I or my wife will hold Sprint personally responsible especially since your tech lied to me abot the G2 problems.

I have been a customer of Sprint for many, many years and this is unacceptable behavior. If I receive this phone and it has the same problem exists I will be very upset due to the lie.

Highlighted
Journeyman

First off, if your life depends on a cell phone, YOU have made a mistake.  Just saying.

Now for your problem, I carry a gophone flip phone that costs about $16, and sometimes less (A157V - this cheap one has best radio and voice quality, from my testing) as a backup phone, because any network or phone can have problems, but in fact, ATT has the best rural coverage in the southeast.  Oh, a 3G or better ATT phone is required, so make sure it is.  ATT is taking down tower equipment or not installing it on new towers that supports less than 3G voice even.  I had the problem.  I know.  Make sure it is at least 3G.  I knew only ATT works in many areas, and proved it at my brother's house up at Highland Lake in Alabama, and my sister's down at Lay Lake.  Both required 3G, also.  Verizon does not even work.  At Lay Lake, there are only ATT new towers, and at Highland lake their Otelco only has a deal with ATT, since most rural wireline companies do.

Gophone has several plans, but what I use is the $2 per day when it is used plan.  You buy a $25 card from callingmart at a discount every 3 months to keep the line going, and it takes away the $2 any day you call out, answer a call, or SEND a text message (incoming text is free, and missed call is free - call back from the other line, etc.).  The left over $'s build up, so if you use it less than 12 times per 90 days, the dollars roll over).  There are other plans that are per minute, or unlimited, etc., but the $2 is good since it unlimited on any day you have to use it, like during a problem.  This could save your life for less than $8 per month.  Also, ATT said if you haven't used up your dollars, they will extend the 90 days if you call in.  Good Luck!

And let us know on here, how your new phone is doing, but know that Sprint is supposed to be working on putting up 800MHZ at various locations, which might help.  There are also various posts about turning off certain channels in your Spark phone to stabilize the situation until Spark is fully implemented, and many say it works for them.

So, keep your Sprint for your smart phone, but have a backup for sure.  And check your voice mail box regularly.  Good luck!  Oh, and on your voicemail, you could say to call the other phone if you are a doctor or it is urgent,  Then if it rings, you can have the phone set to not answer when you open it, look at the number, and call back on the Sprint phone, etc., and skip that $2 for the day, or just answer it.  The setting is to answer only if send is pressed.  The cheap phone has no external display, so you have to open it, but it is a best option.  Or you can activate gophone on a cheap phone, and move the sim card to a better ATT phone, but data will be blocked.

Journeyman

Here is my post from another thread about turning off band 41...

I saw in this thread that some users are turning off band 41 with good results.  Might be an unused band so far in many areas, and phone might be confused with it turned on...

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/773338#773338

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat