cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android web browser becomes massive data hog after KitKat update

Journeyman

Android web browser becomes massive data hog after KitKat update

Wow, so after the the recent KitKat 4.4.2 update, the stock android web browser on my LG G2 has become a MASSIVE DATA HOG. No longer can you simply clear out the cache to shrink the crazy amount of data it stores, you now have to 'Clear Data' which completely wipes out ALL YOUR BOOKMARKS and some preferences. So a day's worth of web browsing can easily build a data cache of 150mb or more! Is there going to be a fix for this?

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Re: Android web browser becomes massive data hog after KitKat update

theBigCat

Here to help. Is the amount of data it is storing casing your speeds to dip? Clearing the data shouldn't clear out your bookmarks. Have you tried doing a ##72786# to see if that clears it up?

Patrick N.
Social Care Team
Journeyman

Well, as you approach say the 100mb + range of data then it does cause sluggish behavior... this also happened with HTC phones a couple years ago. So when you hit 'Clear data' it removes your bookmarks as well. Before the KitKat update, all you had to do was 'Clear cache'. Now all the cache info is somehow being saved with data or something. Oh, and that 20mb figure you see in the screen shot is from just an hour of modest web browsing. It's like is saves everything!

Screenshot_2014-04-10-15-40-25.png

Master

theBigCat,

If you change the browser setting to private it wont save all the sites you visit nor eat up a lot of space. I know it seems a little unorthodox but would save you some time on clearing space and loosing bookmarks.

Thanks,

Sequoyah
Social Care
Journeyman

Oh, so how do you set the stock Android browser settings for private browsing? I thought only Chrome and Firefox allowed that.

Master

theBigCat,

You can set your stock browser to Incognito Mode. To do this, you will need to have a web browser open and then open another page. Once the 2 pages open, the upper right corner of your screen should display an image of a man in a hat. Click that image and it will change your settings to incognito. While incognito, pages you view won't appear in your browser history or search history and will not leave other traces, like cookies on your phone after you close the window. Any files you download or bookmarks created while incognito will be saved. Let me know if this helps.

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Can you post a screen shot of what you're talking about? I don't think the stock web browser on my LG G2 can do that.

Master

theBigCat,

I apologize, I cannot post a screenshot of this. The stock Android browser should be able to go into incognito mode, however, I cannot find anything specific to the LG G2 that I can direct you to.

I have found some walk throughs for clearing the browser cache and cookies on the LG G2. Cache: http://bit.ly/1kevGfy and Cookies: http://bit.ly/1esVvbS Let me know if you are able to get the cookies and cache cleared using the steps provided.

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah, it's pretty straight forward to do it in the Chrome browser... its too bad that the KitKat update changed how the stock browser stores data now. : (

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat