cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with signal, is there a way to fix it?

Journeyman

Disappointed with signal, is there a way to fix it?

I Just switched from my old htc evo of 3 years to the LG G2 yesterday.  Since then I've noticed that I have hardly any signal bars... I have the smallest dot of one and if I'm lucky I have the second one. My evo never had a problem with getting full bars... Wondering if I made a mistake. Is this an existing flaw or do I need an exchange or repair on my phone? advice please.

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Disappointed with signal, is there a way to fix it?

I get the same issue at my house when using data service, or if I'm connected to WiFi and not talking on the phone.

My old Galaxy never had that issue. I believe (don't quote me on this) the bars shown on the older phones were for voice, and nothing else. On my G2, when on a call, the bars would go from 1-2 to almost full. Whereas the other phones almost always showed more than 3-4 bars, the G2 shows 0-2 at my house and sometimes all in Atlanta. Try calling someone and maybe you'll notice the bars will go up to full. My theory is that the bars showing on the G2 is only for data service, until you place a call. Let me know the conclusion if you do call and notice a change!

Thanks,

Kaku

Journeyman

I'm in the same boat - upgraded from a 2-year-old EVO 4G to the LG G2 3 weeks ago, and ever since, I have had little to NO signal. Not no LTE. Not no 4G. Not no 3G!! Maybe half a bar if I'm lucky. If that even holds on for more than a minute, it's a miracle. Meanwhile, the EVO still reliably shows 3-4 bars if not more, which would be great if the device weren't, you know, not operating correctly (hence the upgrade).

To Customer Care, because I know you'll ask: Yes, I have made sure that both a) my network settings are set to LTE/CDMA, and b) my Connection Optimizer is switched ON. I get the same signal strength (NONE) regardless if my Wi-Fi is on or off. Since I've lived at the same residence for well over a decade, and never had reception issues with the EVO, I know that this is not a tower(s) issue. Even texts / messaging is a nightmare, as the phone usually does not have or won't hold signal long enough. This is thoroughly unacceptable!!! I love the phone in all other aspects, but reception is the most important, and if it can't be solved, it will be enough to make me drop Sprint for another carrier.

Master

essvee82,

Thank you for the post. I know we all remember the commercials that spoke of how many bars were available as being the best way to determine service level but unfortunately that is not the case when comparing different models.  It is possible to have full bars and no service and one bar and great service.  
The best way to properly troubleshoot this for you is to have you send a text message the next time your service is not working within your residence and let us know what error code designation you receive.  The code that you receive will point us in the right direction of diagnosing your reception issues.  Thank you. 

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C. 

Master

808kaimi,

Thanks for posting with us and apologies on the delayed response. Are you still having issues with or have they subsided? Please let me know and include your zip code and cross streets if you are still coming across issues so I can investigate. Thanks!

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

This seems to be a pretty common thing.  I recently received an LG G2 and notice that when the phone is in "idle," my signal indicator is 1 to 2 bars - like barely enough to keep communications with the tower.  However, when I receive or make a call, the signal bumps up to 5 to 6 (full) and maintains.  The same seems to go for when I'm using data (LTE).  I haven't heard any confirmation from anybody that may know anything about these phones, but if I were to guess, it seems that it could be a power saving feature?

Master

areinike,

I do apologize for the confusion in regards to signal and signal strength indicators.

Our coverage maps and average speed and latency are high-level estimates when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions and are based on a combination of independent third-party testing and Sprint generated results. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Estimating wireless coverage and signal strength is not an exact science. For more information please see: http://bit.ly/O63njk. I hope this helps.

Thank you,

George M.
Sprint Social Care Team
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat