cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drastic reduction in earpiece volume

Journeyman

Drastic reduction in earpiece volume

Last week, my wife's G2 experienced a drastic reduction in earpiece volume.  The audio through the speakerphone works fine, the audio in headphones when using the headphone jack is fine, it's just the volume through the earpiece is significantly -- read tremendously -- decreased.

The up - down volume keys still have an effect on the volume through the earpiece, taking it down to a virtual mute condition at it's lowest setting and back up to a marginally audible at the highest setting.  Again on speakerphone or using the headphone jack, the volume keys work as expected.

I looked all through the settings to see if something changed, but can't seem to find a thing.  Power cycling/rebooting has not done a thing. The Hearing Aid compatibility and Voice enhancement in call settings has absolutley no effect on volume.  The phone has no physical damage, and I used a jewelers loupe to look down into the earpiece grill to see if something clogged the opening ... nothing found !

Has anyone heard of any earpiece volume issues like this ?  One day the earpiece volume was fine, the next it's essentially unusable.  She's having to use the speakerphone for every call now, but that's not a long term solution.

Cheers,

Scott

5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Drastic reduction in earpiece volume

Scott,

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I have looked into this more for you and I'm not showing any known issues for this issue for the G2. I see that a software update was released on 07/21/2014 to help fix some small bugs on the device. Is you software up to date? In your setting under software you should show version Ox3A6A9132 or LS980ZVD. Let me know what you find. Also, do you have insurance on the device?

*Randi
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

My wife an I both have the LG G2 and both were updated to ZVD last month.  They're 9 months old and we do not have insurance.

Mine works fine (nothwithstanding the general G2 issues we've had with both phones - almost non-existant LTE, lousy 3G speeds, bad voice quality, etc.).  My wife's phone has not changed since last week when the earpiece volume dropped way down.  Nothing seems amiss, i.e. no signs of damage, nothing rattling loose inside, etc., it just doesn't have any useable volume out of the earpiece.

Cheers,

Scott

Master

NotSoReflexively,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your wife's phone. Have you tried to take the phone to a Sprint Service & Repair store? Is the phone insured?

- Marie
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same phone with the same issue.  The drastic decrease in volume happened when I migrated to Android 4.4.2

the issue is pretty well documented in blogs across the internet.

the only way to fix is do downgrade back to 4.3 or 4.2, or upgrade to lollipop, or swap out the file in the phone that determines volume settings.  ALL OF THESE SOLUTION REQUIRE YOU TO ROOT THE PHONE.

I have had my phone 6 months.  Sprints response is I am basically S.O.L.

Corporate Sprint says take it to a service center.

The service center says it's not a hardware issue, it's an android (software) issue.

Bottom line is some programmer screwed up the volume setting, and it got released and is causing problems for some LG G2 phones.

Sprint shows no record of a planned fix.  Sprint has told me there is no way to fix my phone and they will not replace it.

Master

cah9455, Sorry you had to experience this issue. Please click here http://bit.ly/1qQty1X so we can further assist you today. - Beatrice
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat