Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G2 only downloading old emails from server

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman m2o
Journeyman

G2 only downloading old emails from server

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.  I just got an LG G2 over the weekend, and I am trying to set up my email accounts with the stock G2 email app.  I have two: a gmail account, and a gmail business account.  The gmail account is working fine, but for some reason the gmail business account is only downloading emails from 10/2/2012 to 10/9/2012.  I went into the gmail business account settings and made sure POP3 was enabled for all emails (even those already downloaded).

I also set up the account through the Gmail app, and it works fine.  But I'd rather use the stock app.  I've removed the account in the Gmail app, so I know it's not a problem of gmail grabbing the email before the stock app can.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much for your help.

Michael

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: G2 only downloading old emails from server

m2o,

I'm going out on a limb here, but there is a big clue in that you are using pop3 for gmail.

First, why are you doing this instead of imap?  Google's pop functionality can be a little finicky, especially if you read emails from multiple clients. With pop, gmail tracks when an email as been downloaded even if you have your client setup to leave the message on the server. I wonder if you are downloading email to a desktop client like outlook, and then also trying to download to your phone.

You might consider trying something like "recent" mode.

In the POP client settings of the default app, replace 'username@gmail.com' in the 'Username' or 'Email' field with the following format:

recent:username@gmail.com

This will force the server to redeliver pop emails that have already been downloaded if I am right.  If that fixes it, it really is not an LG email app problem so much (since it is just the basic android email client), but a gmail issue.  The gmail app actually syncs over webmail rather than pop3 so that is why it was working.

Master

gerryf19-

Thanks very much for providing this information, much appreciated!

@m2o-

My apologies for the troubles! Did any of the suggestions help resolve the issue? Please let me know where you stand.

Thanks in advance,

William

Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman m2o
Journeyman

Thanks gerryf19, and I apologize it took me so long to respond back.  In the Gmail settings window for POP/IMAP, I selected "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)".  But that didn't help.  So I took your first suggestion (or, at least, what you were hinting at) and switched from pop3 to imap.  Solved my problem right away.  So at the moment I have my personal gmail (which didn't have this issue) as pop3 and my business gmail as imap.  Thanks for your help!

Michael

Master

m2o,

We are glad to hear that you were able to get this taken care of. I only wish that we could have helped more. We are  always here to help in the forum. Let us know when our assistance is required.

Sean L

Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat