cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G2 stuck in portrait mode.

G2 stuck in portrait mode.

Still loving the G2 after 3 weeks or so, but I just ran into a problem. I was using Chrome and looking at some images, when I clicked on one to zoom in. That worked fine, but when I turned the phone on its side, it didn't switch to landscape mode. I tried several times to no avail. I thought maybe it was turned off in the settings, but was on when I checked in there. I thought maybe it was just an issue with Chrome, but I checked to see if it would switch in several other applications, and it did not. It wouldn't even switch when I was on the home screen. I also have that set to rotate with phone orientation. My G2 just will not switch to landscape mode under any circumstances. Is anyone else having this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: G2 stuck in portrait mode.

inconsolable_me

Hmm, that is strange. If auto-rotate screen is selected under the Accessibility settings, the views should change when prompted. Has this always been the case, or did you not notice until recently?

Also have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your on? If so, please advise what was done.

Thanks,

Zena

Social Care Team

Oh, this just started the day I posted my problem. It now seems to be intermittent. It changes sometimes now. I didn't do anything after I first posted about it, I just left it alone. I checked some mail, but used no other apps or changed any settings. My G2 has never been dropped, never gotten wet, and has not had any other shocks to its parts. I don't know much about how the various sensors function, so this may seem like a foolish question... Would temperature changes affect this at all? I ask because we recently had a hard freeze that lasted for two days so far, and it's been in my pocket when I go outside from a warm house.

GrandMaster

i have heard of devices getting a slight moisture build within from going from a warm to cold environment before..but i dont think this is what youre seeing. it almost sounds like the phone is weirding out momentarily. as in it WANTS to switch to landscape but freezes up when it tries..did you do a power cycle of the phone to see if it starts working again for a bit? if it works the next time it starts this up look into what all is running in the background..it could also end up being something like another app ...which the power cycle would shut down at least for a lil bit...only theories on my end with this one though..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

inconsolable_me,

Thank you for getting back to us. I am glad to hear that it is a little better now. Extreme weather can cause it to freak out a bit. But once you are in a cool temperature it should be fine.

Jen R

Sprint Social Care Team 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you have your rotation locked? Check under settings just in case

Journeyman

Have you tried calibrating the motion sensor under settings/gestures? Just something to try.

Master

Carter488,

Thank you for the your feedback.

Thank you,

*Paida

Okay, to answer everyone, I'll reply to my original post and just put it all in here. I did the power cycle when the problem showed up, but it didn't work. The temperature idea... My phone did this while inside a comfortably heated house. The rotation isn't locked, that was the first thing I checked. It's been calibrated, too. One of the first things I did when I got it, actually. For now, it seems like the problem has disappeared on its own. I'll post back if this happens again, and thanks to everyone for the help and input.

Master

inconsolable_me-

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that things are back up as they should be. Please keep us updated.

Regards,

William

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat