cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home OpenSource Code Distribution, LG Website ( G2 )

Highlighted
Journeyman

Home OpenSource Code Distribution, LG Website ( G2 )

Heads up Sprint G2 fans KK is around the corner.  The LG source code for Kit Kat is up. Yeah!!  It's only a matter of time to be pushed OTA, I'd say in the next 48 hours....

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

My question is...can we flash that zip and get kitkat now or is it just code?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have the question regarding flashing the .zip

If I remember correctly when I re-installed the Stock Firmware it was not a .zip but rather a .tot file.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think my question may be the same as CraigRhudy's, I'm just not that well-versed on the lingo....but when I went to that link I tapped on one of the icons and a 733mb file begin downloading. What the heck was that, do u know??!!! I stopped it around 9% just outta fear of the unknown!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It'll be an update.zip that's flashable only via stock recovery. Devs can extract files and make a cwm or twrp zip.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Your 48 hours are up

Highlighted
Journeyman

96 hours later and your prediction was still out in left field. Its ok because its sprint and nothing ever come to sprint customers quickly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Again, I've mad a post about this before. It is not sprint or anyway there fault. It is LG LG is who pushes the update to the devices and it comes in waves not everybody threw sprint will have it at once.. that is too much on the servers. Its just a open source it can take up to a week to push.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm back....

What normally would've been a 2 day turnaround has taken longer for reasons unknown so as to not speculate and or point fingers let's move on.

1) We're aware that the source code for the G2 has been posted on LG's OpenSource Code Distribution Global website over 5 days ago.

https://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensourceList?types=ALL&search=ls980

2) Back in February of 2014 Kit Kat was being pushed out on all carriers and Sprint was forecast to receive it by EOM of March 2014.

3) Out of 4 only 2  wireless carriers have received the OS update on it's G2 so that means Sprint and Verizon should get it come 31 March 2014.

AT&T and tmobile have pushed out kit kat in Mid Feb 2014

4) Keep in mind although the push will commence on the 31st of March it's a random selection so certain devices will get it before others and not simultaneously as to not overload the servers. So it's not unusual for two devices at the same household not receiving the update at the same time in fact one may get it on the initial push or a day later and the other one may get it several days to a week down the road. That has happened in the past and it will happen again.

Now all that taken into consideration here are two links to follow when the update push notification becomes official plus also check tech blogs which will be normally the first to report it:

LG

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000003-CT10000027-1386799961730

SPRINT

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_LG_G2/WServic...

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

After the update I'd recommend a factory reset to start clean with major OS update. I've done this in the past on both Software and firmware updates and it has worked magnificently to date.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AW SNAP...the Sprint link actually has the current software listed as ZVB, and it was posted today!!! How bout that?!!:-D

Journeyman

Indy4G

Once LG updates it's website the push OTA will commence, thus so far it hasn't changed. Keep an eye on that.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat