cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knock On, Screen Unresponsive, and 1970 errors?

Journeyman

Knock On, Screen Unresponsive, and 1970 errors?

Hello all,

I recently received the KitKat OTA upgrade and right after, my phone started having screen issues. I did a factory reset thinking it was a 3rd-party app causing issues. That fixed the screen jumping around and doing it's own thing, but the "Knock On" feature does not work. Also, there is a section on my screen that doesn't recognize touch or it jumps over the section when drawing. This happened for awhile and then all of sudden it was back to working, but now it is back again. Finally, another issue I found odd was that after the update, some of the stock apps (LG and Google) show a 1970 date. Pictures are attached.

Sprint, please help! I was told to send it to LG under the 1 year manufacturer warranty, but I would be without a phone!!! What else can be done? If I'm going to be without a phone, then I might as well cancel our three lines. Especially because T-Mobile is paying for cancellation fees (1 of my lines is already past contract). Also, T-Mobile and Verizon versions of the LG G2 with similar problems are being replaced by the carriers (not manufactures as Sprint reps have told me to do).

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Re: Knock On, Screen Unresponsive, and 1970 errors?

MarcoMartha:

I would suggest taking the device to a service and repair center. Unfortunately, if this turns out to be a manufacturers defect it will have to be replaced under LG's warranty for free under their policies and timelines. Do you have a spare device you can place onto your number while LG is replacing it or do you know of someone with a spare Sprint device you can borrow for that time?

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

I have taken it to a Sprint service/repair center and they told me it would be $75.00 to look at the phone. That sounds ridiculous considering the phone was fine until the update.

I am pretty sure it is a software issues, because as I said, it started working correctly again (Knock-On and screen working) randomly. Unfortunately, it also reverted and went back to having the error. I'm not sure what triggers it, but a factory reset doesn't work.

Even going into recovery mode (holding the down button and pressing power), when I "wipe the partition/cache" and then "wipe data/factory reset" the yellow letters stating what is happening states a message of: "format not complete 1/21/1970" or something like that.

Is there a way to have the kitkat update pushed again? Or a manual download of the kitkat software to load? I'm pretty sure this is all software related...

Journeyman

1790.png

Journeyman

Mine has the same problem and it sucks

Wizard

Are you running a third party launcher? From what I've played around with, Knock Code only works on the notification bar in those launchers.

Don't have a clue on your other issues. The 1970 date sounds like a software bug to me be I won't really be worried about it. I have had many Android phones with strange dates on them.

Do you have insurance on your account? If so, you should not told it's a $75 dollar charge to look at the phone. Sounds like it's a bad repair location and, unfortunately, Sprint won't do a thing about bad stores.

I know that it's a pain but I usually wipe the phone after a major system update. Some people say it's not needed but I did it and I've had no issues. I would try wiping the phone before sending back to LG. If you have to do that, you might be able to find a replacement by checking Freecycle or Lista.

Master

MarcoMartha,

You may be correct in your assessment of the issue being software related. It is difficult to pinpoint the issue in our position, whereas an in-store device technician could properly diagnose the issue. Seeing that you do not want to pay the repair fee, we will be sure to forward your feedback to management for further investigation.

-Julian
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Sprint reps and supervisors have both told me that this is a software issue. You CAN EXCHANGE THE PHONE for a non upgrades one thru Customer Care. I did so myself yesterday. Technically, there should be no charge for diagnosing. Tell Sprint its unfair for you to have to pay for a mistake they made. Don't let them fool you. LG distributed the code, and sprint added their stuff to it. You may have to fight a little.for it, but you can win. An out the box phone isn't even spark enabled. .so guess what? No more network issues! Exchange the phone.

Journeyman

My lg g2 did exact same problems after the kitkat upgrade last weekend. Knock on stopped working. Only knock off works. Date for apps shows 1970. I contacted lg suport and asked them to contact Google for a fix for these lg g2's and kitkat OS. You should all do the same and hopefully fix is ready soon.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat