cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G2 GPS issues

Master

Re: LG G2 GPS issues

warriorgoose:

When you downloaded and performed the KitKat update did you switch your device to CDMA prior? If not I suggest doing the following in order:

Turn wifi off

Change to CDMA

Power device off for 5 minutes minimum

Power it back up.

Make sure wifi is still off

Turn Connections Optimizer off (http://bit.ly/1h1Hr5W)

Update profile ( http://bit.ly/1ddYAL9 )

Power phone off for 3 to 5 minutes

Power back up

Ensure still set to CDMA and wifi is off

Dial ##72786# (you will not see the last # and device will power cycle and perform updates)

Test your GPS for a good while it is set to CDMA. If this does not improve the functionality, we should try a couple of other things. Let us know how it goes.

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Followed your procedure. Lost gps signal occurred again within a mile of my house. Gps test tools show a good array of satellites that it should be able to see while I'm driving.

GrandMaster

the phone still uses towers for GPS..this would be why you get a good signal up until you get near your home..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Most cellular phones are actually AGPS devices which means they do not do all the calculations from the received satellite signals themselves, but depend on ephemeris tables stored on servers and have much of the heavy calculations done on those servers. What this means, very simply, is that in order for most cell phones to provide a valid GPS location using satellite data they also need a good connection with ground based servers via their cellular network.

There are many descriptions and comparisons of how AGPS systems work on line, but probably the simplest is that at Wikipedia.

GrandMaster

correct..which is why when a tower is down most while using GPS will notice that its telling people that they are no longer on the road and are somehow driving right through a building etc..its a wonderful thing when youre in a very large confusing city lol..been there done it..

thanks Thomas..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

I have to disagree with you there, I've had GPS problems with the G2 since the beginning of the year. And for whoever said something about getting a Nexus 5 instead, it's been discussed in various forums that it also suffered from GPS problems. The difference is that it was hardware related, but our problem seems to be software related, according to the few representatives that I spoke to that actually acknowledged the problem.

Journeyman

Well, to add my last 2 cents to this thread, I purchased a G3 off of ebay, and it was the best thing I did.  GPS works like a champ...  Also downloaded the Nokia Here Beta so I have offline maps since Sprint has horrible cellular coverage in NH.

I fixed my problem.  It costs ME money, but the problem is solved, and hopefully I won't crash next time I'm in Boston.

Glad it worked out for you in the end, Steve. I'm gonna check out that Nokia Here thing you mentioned, it sounds interesting. Best wishes with your new G3.

Journeyman

Here is a link to Nokia's here.  There is a download link on the site.  http://here.com/

it's a really nice, clean map app.  I love google maps and waze, but sometimes I just want to get from point a to point b and with the horrible NH service, this makes it work offline, nicely.

Journeyman

I'm still having GPS issues on my replacement phone and the other phone on my account (a Samsung Galaxy S5) is having the same problem. We're in the Kansas City metro on the Kansas side but the problem persists no matter where we are.

The phones take forever to get a lock and they lose the lock very frequently. I'm starting to suspect that this is a problem not with the phones but with the network since AGPS is involved. What's the remedy? I've replaced by phone, I've done the resets, updates, and reactivations to no avail.

Master

rattlehead91:

Thank you for reaching out to us on our Forums.

Please advise how both devices are set under Network settings and roaming settings.

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't have access to the S5 at the moment so I can't speak to its specific settings.

The G2 is in LTE/CDMA mode. With regard to the Roaming settings, the G2 is in Automatic mode and allows for Domestic Data roaming. Both devices' GPS is in High Accuracy mode.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat