cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G2 GPS issues

Journeyman

Re: LG G2 GPS issues

Roamingchicken: You can try the factory reset, but your issues will be back. I have done it on multiple G2 phones only to have the issue return. You will spend some time getting evwrything reinstalled too. It is good to have a freah start, but it has not corrected the issue. It seems to be a hardware/software integration issue. Good luck!

Wizard

Go into your settings and go to Backup and Reset. Wiping is the very last thing listed. Yes, you are going to lose stuff unless it's backup not to your phone. If you have a Google account, you shouldn't lose any of your contacts as long as you are syncing everything. A Sprint Repair Store can do it but it all depends on the person working on what they will save. I've had some save apps and restore them and I've had some do nothing. If it's anything critical to need to back it up somewhere. After you wipe the phone, everything is gone and can't be restored. I did this directly after I got the KitKat update, I like to wipe and start over after a major update like that.

Wizard

All I can tell you is it works for me the grand majority of the time. This isn't the first time I've heard of issues with it, though. The only thing I can think of is that the network updates are done in my area. But I still have issues sometimes so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've done that to mine twice now, and the problems still persist, just intermittently. The GPS is still off by some distance, but the G2 at least displays my correct city location now. The data is much improved, but call quality is horrible now. And I recently had a bunch of days when I could not make or receive calls on it. I had no idea until my neighbor came over after not reaching me. I literally stood right in front of him and tried to call his phone, and it went straight to voicemail without ringing once. He did the same from his and it went to my voicemail without ringing. I then tried some landline phones and got the same results. I wasn't even getting the notifications. Calls are garbled and I strain to make out what the other person is saying when I am able to make calls. That little "HD" icon even shows up to mock me. What really bites is that this is all intermittent, so I just have to  kind of hope it works on any given day. It's like a new adventure every day! That was sarcasm.

Journeyman

Just wanted to give an update. I haven't done anything to the phone yet, but my gps started working consistently yesterday. I don't know if there was a software update or what. Yesterday morning I picked up the phone and noticed the gps location indicator on and locked in, and I'm inside the house. I thought to myself now what, the gps has gone mad. I slide the status bar down and sure enough the gps wasn't even turned on, but the indicator says it's locked in.

I restarted the phone and the indicator went away. Then I went outside and turned on the gps, opened the map app and within 20 seconds, the gps indicator locked and it worked. Maybe there was an update and now it's working, and I hope it continues to work. Is there a way to find out when was the last software update?

Are you guys experiencing the same?

Master

roamingchicken - We are definitely glad to hear that you were able to get your issues resolved. As for the software update, our record shows there was an update back in October 2014. We don't show any recent dates. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know. We're here to help. - Indie
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

The fact that there are no software update and the GPS just worked all of a sudden worries me. There must be some kind of updates in order for the GPS to work again. The update could be at the Sprint network side and not related to phone or OS software.

Has anyone with similar issue observed the GPS working again on their G2? Just curious whether this is isolated. Thanks.

Journeyman

GPS still doesn't work on my device.. Really I'm curious if this is a hardware issue on LG's part. Both of my G2's functioned fine when they were new... Still sprint should be held just as liable as they sold us a faulty device and locked me in a 2 year contract. Sprint needs to remedy our situation by either allowing us a comparable model as replcement or releasing us from our contracts..

Journeyman

ItsLavallee,

It's hard to say whether it's hw or sw. As I've said before, my wife has the exact same LG phone, but with AT&T, and her GPS always worked.

Like you, mine was working before also, until around start of Dec 2014, it stopped working until just a few days back. Now, the GPS on my phone locks in even when I'm sitting inside about 5-10 feet from the window. Check out this GPS test app. Before a few days ago, it showed as many satellites, but won't lock on anything.

Screenshot_2015-01-12-18-00-38.png

Wizard

My Samsung S5 has been going through the same "I can see the satellites but I don't know where I am" BS off and on for a few months.

gps_test_02.pngBefore that it was very quick to lock up, but more recently it would not lock for anything. Now it is back to being able to find itself, but not totally reliably.

Since this did not appear to correspond to any software/firmware changes on my device, I suspect the "assisted" part of aGPS (the ground based network servers) had a headache...

Master

TOMAS_, Is it just your device that doing this? Also, have you taken your device into a store to have it diagnosed, and have you attempted to troubleshoot your device using the Sprint Zone Application on your device? Let me know, I'll be awaiting your response. - Natalie
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Wizard

SprintCare wrote: "TOMAS_, Is it just your device that doing this? Also, have you taken your device into a store to have it diagnosed, and have you attempted to troubleshoot your device using the Sprint Zone Application on your device? Let me know, I'll be awaiting your response. - Natalie Sprint Social Care"

Natalie, I have no idea if other people's devices are doing the same thing, all I can answer to is my device.

Stopped by the closest Sprint corporate store and they mentioned that they had been seeing intermittent difficulties with locking in a location on their devices.

I have used the SZ app troubleshooting and there are "no problems."

I have also used "other" test apps in analyzing the GPS lock in problem, and it appears to boil down to the terrestrial network since there is no problem seeing and locking on to satellites.

My assumption is that there is nothing wrong with my device and that the network problems are being looked at and will be fixed.

Thanks for your offer of assistance, but I'm good for now.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat