cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G2 loses LTE repeatedly

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G2 loses LTE repeatedly

I've had a G2 since March 1, 2014. As long as I've had it, LTE has been spotty. OK, I thought maybe it was spotty reception, varying service levels, etc.

But recently I discovered that by switching Network Mode from Global to GSM/UMTS and back *always* gets me LTE. Every time. This is while not moving, with strong signal, so it's not changing towers. After I switch back go Global, I see the bars drop to zero for a moment and then come back up, and LTE comes on then. So it appears that it's restarting some daemon/service, one that apparently only works for a while. A few minutes later, again without moving, LTE may still be there, or may be gone.

This is kind of sad.

I found an app, Switch Network Type 2G / 3G from SoftXperience, which at least lets me get directly to the Network Mode in one touch. But please note that the app is NOT the problem--the intermittent LTE and LTE coming back after switching Network Type predates me installing that app.

Some Googling suggests lots of folks with problems getting LTE to stay on. This seems to be either a hardware or software problem, does it not?

26 REPLIES 26

Re: LG G2 loses LTE repeatedly

The story from Sprint is that all of the data problems are the result of them upgrading the network all over the place. With some devices, it has been proven to be hardware related (like the LTEVO). I can't think of devices with software based LTE problems at the moment. With the G2, it seems like more of a mixed bag. The G2 was configured for use on the new network, but was being sold before it even existed. It already had the necessary tri-band parts inside before the Spark software update was released. Same with the HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S 5, and a bunch of others. Now that the new network is being deployed, some people are now using the network that these devices were all configured for from the get-go. The bad part is that most of us are still not able to do this. I'm in the same boat you are in, as I have to jump through all kinds of hoops like some trained seal to make use of any LTE. And even then, it goes away at random. The 3G is bad here, too. This is all why some people are sticking to older devices if they have them, since those devices are configured for the older network that is still in place in so many places. Or, that's the way I see it. I'm not a tech guru with inside information, I'm just a gadget geek. I've been considering using my old phone recently, wondering if it would get better data performance here. I doubt it, though. 4G service has gradually declined here since first being introduced. Very discouraging.

Journeyman

I haven't received the latest update, but believe it may contain a fix for this problem.  If not, try the steps listed here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-lg-g2/427302-fix-weak-lte-connection-zvd-firmware.html

Master

nobodyfu

I understand your concerns. I would love to assist you with this. I would like to look into the area that you are experiencing these issues. Please provide the nearest cross streets and ZIP code. It doesn't have to be a hardware or software issues. Once you provide the information I requested some troubleshooting steps can be done. Let me know, looking forward to assisting you with this.

Marcus

Sprint Social Care
Master

dafever1 - Very good article. Thank you for posting. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you - Kenneisha
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Marcus,

I appreciate the offer. Pick a location in Fairfax County, Virginia (where I live). Seriously, it doesn't matter where I am; it's more a case of "Where DOES it work?" But if you want to pick a location, try 22033, Greenbriar Plaza.
What debugging steps would you suggest?   
Master

nobodyfu,

Thank you for the information. I looked at your area and it shows that Spark capabilities are not fully functioning. The towers should be Spark capable within the next 3 months. The reason why your phone service keeps switching is because there is not a strong signal for Spark in the area. Your phone is Spark capable. I am going to have you change the Network Mode on your phone so that you will have better services. Please follow these step to change your Network Mode to CDMA: Apps>Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Network Mode>CDMA. Let me know if this worked. 

- Clyde
Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I'll try that, though I did before.

When I have "full bars" and am not moving, why would it change modes? That seems implausible.

I also changed BSRTimer to 3 from 3000 (well, sort of 3000: "View" showed 3000 but when I went to edit the setting, it came up as 3, which is weird) and that seemed to help a bit.

Of course, last night it downloaded ZVDE, so we'll see if that helps, too...    

Master

nobodyfu,
Once you've tried everything keep us posted on what happens. Also, if you have any further questions or concerns, let us know. - Danielle
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Well, switching to LTE-only made no difference. But changing BSRTimer to 3 seemed to help a lot.    

Journeyman

Even now, whenever I get 3G, if I change mode to GSM and back, I get LTE. Surely that can't be the expected behavior.

Master

nobodyfu,
I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. Is this issue happening in specific locations only? If so, please provide me with the zip codes and nearest cross streets where the issue occurs. That information will allow me to check out the towers within the area to see what's causing this. Has this issue been on going, or has it just started happening? - Tiara
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat