cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G2 not removing old emails deleted from server when updating inbox

Journeyman

LG G2 not removing old emails deleted from server when updating inbox

My LG G2 stock email app is not removing emails that have been deleted from my email server. As in, I'll check my email from my computer online, read and delete them from the server. Then on my old phone, when I updated the inbox, those deleted-from-server emails would automatically disappear. When I update my G2 inbox, those emails stay put. I have to manually delete them from my phone as well. An update will only download new emails, not clean up old ones. Anyone having the same problem?

Tags (2)
17 REPLIES 17

Re: LG G2 not removing old emails deleted from server when updating inbox

What mail service are you using? I ask because I used AOL in addition to a few others, and was having this same problem on my EVO 4G LTE. A very resourceful person in this community advised me to change the IMAP server and that solved the problem. Also, are you sure that your account is set to sync the trash and junk folders? You can do both of these things in the settings in the mail app. That fixed all of my mail problems on that phone. I just switched to the G2 yesterday, and am now having a new problem. I get notifications about an authentication failed error concerning my AOL mail account. Only one of them, not the others. Have you had this?

Journeyman

I have the same problem.  There does not seem to be a sync option.  Previously, I had an HTC arrive with my Comcast account with Outlook. Outlook was set to leave emails on the server until they were deleted from the trash. When I would sync the HTC Arrive, it would then delete any emails I had deleted.  Part of the problem, of course, is that Comcast does not support IMAP so you have to have programs that were smart enough to work with the older POP servers....Unfortunately, the LG G2 default email client isn't.

Only had the phone for a few days but will likely get a new email client.

Journeyman

Found a client called AQUAMAIL that will do as you wish....this really isn't a phone (hardware) issue, but the weak LG email client. I was already getting used to the client that was on here, but I think I will be keeping the new one.

Highlighted
Master

Gerryf19,

Thank you for reaching out and helping out one of our customers and for your suggestions on alternatives! I know it’s tough with so many different phones out there, each with their own tweaks and software applications especially when they don’t all seem to be created equally. I’ll definitely forward this feedback on to our software team and see if they can move this up to HTC and LG respectfully, but it could be an android stock app that was tweaked as well. I do support the idea of trying a different email application to see if that helps to resolve the issue as well.
Keep us posted on which you chose and thank you again for your patience and helping us out here! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns as well.

Nick

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Hi all - Just for the record, I actually tried Aquamail before I posted this, it had the same problems the stock app - no removing old emails upon refreshing the inbox. Appreciate the suggestions though. Would love Sprint/LG to find the fix for this.

Journeyman

inconsolable_me - The mail service is thru GoDaddy. I actually only have POP, no IMAP thru service. Also checked all the sync settings on phone, nothing separate for trash or junk. Considering it didn't happen on my previous HTC phone, I def. think it's an LG issue. Haven't had the authentication error, hopefully that resolved for you!

Journeyman

I Really don't think it is an LG issue. LG is using the stock android email program; HTC did not is my guess. You said you used Aquamail, but did you actually set the option to delete emails that are removed from the server? It is not on by default. And it is hard to find, too.

in aqua mail, hit the back button until you are looking at the main account page. Look something like:

AQUAMAIL

SMART FOLDER

(whatever you named emailaccount)

inbox

(sent)

PRESS AND HOLD the email account name, and a context menu appears, then click OPTIONS AND FOLDERS, then click ACCOUNT OPTIONS, then check the box new to REMOVE DELETED MESSAGES then back out to the inbox again. Go delete something in your pop client, sync the server again, then go back to AQUAMAIL and refresh.

Should work

Journeyman

Gerry you're a genius! Just reinstalled Aquamail with those settings and it totally works. Yeah, most definitely an Android stock app issue. Shame on Android!

Journeyman

Glad I could help....

You're right, there is no option to select which folders to sync in the stock mail app, but only for the "other" types of accounts. I can select which ones to sync for the Microsoft Exchange accounts I use. I used to be able to do this on my LTEVO, but that was HTC's flavor of Android and mine was still running Ice Cream Sandwich. If I run into any problems with my mail, I'll definitely try the solution you suggested.

Oh, I see. There is an option to select POP for the server, but I don't know how well it works since I use IMAP. I'm glad everyone helped solved your problem, though. I love this community. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the authentication error, and now for both AOL accounts, AND more frequently. I've seen some other posts in on other sites and for the most part, people seem to just ignore it and it eventually goes away. It's really just a nuisance and doesn't seem to affect my mail at all. I may just stop using the stock mail app and try the one suggested here.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat