cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA update automatically downloads?

Highlighted
Journeyman

OTA update automatically downloads?

I've been watching my girlfriend's phone for this update, and it finally downloaded today.  The only issue is, it downloaded automatically over the mobile network without asking if she'd like to accept it.  Normally, I'd expect some sort of warning when a program is about to download a large amount of data over the mobile network.  Now her data plan is shot for the month (680mb download on a 1GB limit plan).

Is this normal procedure for the G2 to not give a warning when downloading updates? And if it isn't - shouldn't these pushed updates NOT count against a data limit?  Seems a bit ridiculous to put out these updates automatically and cripple anyone on a limited data plan...

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: OTA update automatically downloads?

When I got mine it didn't notify me until it was downloaded. So, it might just be a G2 thing. Usually a update doesn't count against your data, but I would check with Sprint on that.

Highlighted
Master

leepagnk, thanks for contacting us. Was the update done on WIFI? It seems strange that the update was done automatically rather than asking for permission before it was installed. Have you seen your most recent bill? If so, does it show overages? Keep me posted. *Sarah W Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

The update was not done on wifi.  I agree it does seem strange it was downloaded without asking permission first - normally there's a warning of some sort, but there was none.  The first indication that the download was available was the update screen saying "update downloaded, click to install." The bill reflects the large download and she's effectively without data for the rest of the month.

To make matters worse, she's just moved over from verizon, and this is making an incredibly bad first impression...

We're going to the store today to see if this can be rectified. 

Highlighted
Master

leepagnk, thank you for getting back to me. Please let us know how it goes at the store. Keep in touch, we want to make sure this gets taken care of! *Sarah W Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

We were given a credit for another 1GB of data this month.  Not a resolution to the 'automatically download' problem, but we're ok going forward.

Highlighted
Master

leepagnk,
I am glad to hear that they could work with you and get an additional 1gb added! Feel free to reach out to us anytime you have questions. We are always around. *Sarah W Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat