cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with external microphones...

Journeyman

Problems with external microphones...

I got an LG G2 the morning Sprint made them available. It's likely I was first in my city to get one. I was that excited. I still love this phone...it's my second now, as insurance replaced one that I accidentally "threw" and shattered the screen.

Here's my problem. Both on my old phone and on this one, I can't get any external bluetooth microphones to work. I've tried several Bluetooth headsets and a new Bluetooth speaker that has a microphone built in.

I've been through all the settings I can think of:

In-call settings

Bluetooth settings

Language & Input settings

Security Settings

Each individual data setting screen, including Airplane Mode

Accessibility Settings

"Call" settings (in the menus)

Accessories settings...

And I can't find anything or any way to make a Bluetooth microphone work. The fact that I had this problem on both phones with the same, and other Bluetooth microphones, leads me to believe it is something with phone software. There was one other thing I tried, that I read about online. Unfortunately it didn't work either. I went to settings>apps>all>bluetooth and cleared the data there...and did a "force stop" just for good measure. I've read the manual quite thoroughly, and haven't found anything helpful there, either.

I'm sure hoping someone can help me with this. There are times I really need that headset, but I have to use the phone to my ear instead.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: Problems with external microphones...

Have you tried turning off voice control for Google Now?

Journeyman

When I got the first headset I wasn't using Google Now...which was quite different than it is now. I do now use all of the voice recognition features in Google Now/Search, so I tried your suggestion, and still it doesn't work.

Highlighted
Master

Katt50,

Thank you for your input and attempt to help on this thread.

@Ruthiezcatz- I would recommend taking your device into a service and repair location if you still need assistance.

Sincerely,

Audrey

Sprint Social Care
Master

Ruthiezcatz, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues. Have you taken device into a service and repair location o have device diagnosed?

- Jeffery
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

To both SprintCare folks... I haven't taken it anywhere, as, like I said, the first phone and the second phone behave exactly the same. I can't help but think it's not something wrong with the hardware because it was the same with both phones that functioned perfectly in every other way. There has to be some setting or something I'm missing...

Master

Ruthiezcatz,

I understand how frustrating this can be. Have you taken your phone into a service and repair store to have at technician check it out? They can run diagnostic tests to see if there is a problem with the phone.

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

From my experience a day from what I've read, turning off voice recognition in Google Now fixes this issue. It did for me. I don't know what else to suggest. It actually might be time to go to a Sprint Repair Store, hopefully they'll have a clue. Unfortunately, many of them only solution to every issue is to wipe the phone.

Master

Katt50,
Thank you for posting. Your insight is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our services, please let me know.
- James
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I thought all of you would like to know that my wonderful, lovely husband has solved the issue. This does NOT require any kind of repair.

The cause of the problem is that the WiFi and Bluetooth frequencies interfere with one another. Therefore, I can't use a Bluetooth microphone if my WiFi is turned on...even if it's not in use. Because WiFi and Bluetooth use the same radio frequency, there is interference in general...it has nothing to do with the LG G2 or any other specific device.

The solution is to turn off WiFi when I want to use a Bluetooth device that isn't working properly.

I'm so glad he found that, as my next step, even though I wasn't thrilled about it, nor did I think it would work, was to go through a hardware reset...boy are those fun!!! Very different from a "factory" or software reset.

So if anyone experiences trouble with any phone having problems with a Bluetooth device that seems to work fine everywhere else, turn off the WiFi, restart the phone, and try again with WiFi turned off.

Master

Ruthiezcatz,
Thanks for sharing this tip. If you need assistance with anything else, don't hesitate to reach out to us.
- Yannick
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat