cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random call quality (snap, crackle, pop)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Random call quality (snap, crackle, pop)

I just got my G2 Monday and I was more than excited to finally have it. I marveled at it's beautiful screen and impressive speed> I've been reading up on it for months but what I read did it no justice. Unfortunately, I have had what to me are disappointing call quality issues. There are lots of crackles and pops and static. Since it seemed random I figured it may be a network issue so I did chat with the folks in repair and they "checked" the network in the area near my home and near my job and gave it the all clear. Surprisingly, there was no troubleshooting, I wasn't asked to check anything and I was directed to the people in online orders to have them send me a new phone. When on with that agent, they suggested I stop by a corporate store and set me up with an appointment to have my brand new phone checked out. while poking around online, I've noticed that the problem is occurring on other carriers as well.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has been having a similar issue?

50 REPLIES 50
Journeyman

Re: Random call quality (snap, crackle, pop)

I kind of do?  I have only noticed it when I call my VOIP voicemail.  It only starts to crackle if I change the volume setting during the call.  If I don't change the volume, it is clear.  Once the volume setting has been changed (either louder or softer) the crackling continues until the call is ended.  I haven't noticed it on other calls yet.  If I call my VOIP voicemail from any other phone the problem is non-existent. 

Journeyman

I'm having the same issue and my husband also....hope it's fixable.....

Journeyman

I'm having the same issue. So is my wife's phone. I called customer service, and they checked the nearby towers for issues, but none reported. They ran me through some troubleshooting steps, but didn't help. Took the phone into a Sprint store. They ran some diagnostics and updated the profile. No change. Considering returning the phone for something different, which is a shame because I love everything else about this phone.

Journeyman

I'm having call quality issues as well. Every minute or so, I experience several seconds of garbled sound. This happens even when I have a really strong signal. Also, I cannot connect to the LTE towers here in the Denver area even when nearby Sprint devices can. (I have read about this issue regarding the G2.) My signal strength is very sporadic. I frequently drop from full bars to zero bars while not moving. This has led to dropped calls. I called Sprint and was told that there was clearly an issue with my phone and that I should go exchange it. I did this and nothing changed. I still have all the same issues. I have 4 lines on my account, and the other phones (not LG G2's) do not have these issues.

Journeyman

I've noticed the same issue with sporadic signal strength, but only in certain locations.  My bars will go from 0 to full bars, then back to 0.  Other Sprint phones are not showing the same behavior in the same locations. 

Journeyman

I'm starting to get more and more crackling calls now as well.  At first it was only a few, but now the percentage is increasing.  It doesn't happen on every single call though.  Over on the S4GRU forums, people are complaining of this issue as well with the LG G2.  Hopefully this will be fixed with a firmware update. 

You just can't buy a phone anymore and have everything work as it should out of the box!  Is this a quality control issue?

Journeyman

I get the crackling sounds as well...

At least they updated the towers in my area so I get 4G. One side effect I did notice now though is it has started to roam on voice calls even though I have a Sprint signal. Hopefully I won't get dinged for that since it looks to be an issue with the firmware...

Journeyman

This is a horrible issue on an otherwise fantastic phone.

I am on my 3rd G2 and ALL of them have this crackle, pop, digital transmission sound in the earpiece. I am not alone with getting three, there is someone else on another forum that is on his 3rd with the same problem and multiple people that are on their second with this problem.

I read online that the Samasung Note3 had this same issue, and Sprint put out a software update which solved the Note3 issues with the earpiece. When will our lovely G2 receive such an update? Is this even acknowledged yet by Sprint?

Please solve this problem Sprint, so we can actually use the phone, as an actual phone in addition to everything else.

Journeyman

Im on my 2nd!

Journeyman

Just want to add something:

I didn't have the crackling issue before my towers were updated in my area (which added 4G to my LG). After they were updated was when the crackling started and I started noticing that my phone was voice roaming with every call (even though I had a strong sprint signal). Turned off it's ability to roam and it fixed the issue. For my device at least it looks like logic issue with the firmware where it looks for the roaming signal when I call before it looks for a sprint signal...

Journeyman -1
Journeyman

I came here specifically to complain about my new G2's horrific call quality. It's atrocious. EVERY. SINGLE. CALL. is bad. No matter what number I call, I get distortion, static, pops, etc. every couple seconds.

It's not just my G2. I went to the Sprint store today and the salesperson had a new G2. I asked to try his phone, and I made a call... Sounded exactly like mine, which is to say: BAD!

My Motorola Photon 4G wasn't as new and slick but it NEVER had these kinds of problems.

When I use 3G mode (i.e. set the G2 mode to CDMA... it's in Global by default), the call quality is still horrible. So, my conclusion is that it's the phone. Again, my Motorola does not have this problem, nor does my wife's HTC, nor does my daughter's el-cheapo Samsung Replenish, nor have ANY of my phones, ever.

My phone isn't roaming when I have these problems. And I've traveled to other cities, and the call quality is awful no matter where I am. It's the phone. If you don't think it's the phone, you must be used to awful call quality.

I will be getting rid of this awful phone. I like everything but the call quality, too.

Oh well, life is full of disappointments. The G2 is one of them.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat