cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is this getting Lollipop (Android 5.0)?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When is this getting Lollipop (Android 5.0)?

Any updates? Looking forward to getting 5.0 along with the G3's interface on the G2.

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have Galaxy S5 it was on my phone to upgrade & wish I hadn't it's plain & my fb keeps crashing. Sprint told me to update fb but that'll just lead to other problems I see people complaining about. So don't be in a hurry to download Lollipop.

Highlighted
Wizard

If you want an reply from SprintCare you need to do a separate post in the SG5 forums. Posting in a G2 forum does nothing since Lollipop isn't available for that device yet. From what I have read, there's major issues with the Lollipop update with the GS5 on all carriers, not just Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the lollipop 5.0 upgrade on my G3. My girlfriend has not seen anything yet on her G2 Yet. I really don't see any great change. Other than a few minor icon changes. Everything else is the same. My battery is the same crappy at best. My advice? Forget about it. Not worth the wait. The hype of lollipop is bigger than what was delivered.

Highlighted
Wizard

Lollipop isn't available for the G2 yet, but we know that they have the code to do so. They might be waiting because of the problems with the G3 and SG5 issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Firmware version ZVG is currently being prepared (http://device.sprintpcs.com/LG/LS980-SPRINT/latest😞

<prf:SoftwareNumber>LS980ZVG</prf:SoftwareNumber>

<prf:OSName>Google Android</prf:OSName>

<prf:OSVendor>Google / Qualcomm</prf:OSVendor>

<prf:OSVersion>Android 5.0.2 / M8974AAAAANAZM-1</prf:OSVersion>

Wizard

Yes, that's old news. I still wonder if the G2 can handle Lollipop because of all the issues with the G3 upgrade to Lollipop.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sure it can handle it . Even the Moto G is running it. I just hope we don't get some rough update to Lollipop and then they stop development on the LG G2 to focus on the G3 and G4.

Highlighted
Master

The device handling it isn't always the issue. Sometimes it comes down to EOL for the device as well. If the OEM decides that they no longer want to support it, then they probably won't release an update for it.

I'll have to do some searching to are if there's any indication of EOL mentioned anywhere.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe the standard timeline for device support is 18 months. I THINK that is an agreement that manufacturers have with Google now but I am not 100% sure.

This update, with the exception of maybe a bug fix or something will probably be the last one the G2 sees.

Highlighted
Wizard

There's no guarantees from Google but the G2 is about two years old. Unless it's a maintenance release, I wouldn't expect any more updates.

Highlighted
Master

That's what I'm thinking as well.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

My girlfriend has the G2. She just got the update to lollipop. It runs perfect on her phone. No problems that she has found yet. She did notice that there are a few changes but nothing to terrible. All in all runs really smooth on her G2.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat