cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Play Services battery / memory drain

Journeyman

Google Play Services battery / memory drain

My phone loses memory and battery very quickly.  I took it to a Sprint repair center, and the "technician" just factory-reset my phone--and the problem recurred within two weeks.  With a little online research, I discovered that Google Play Services tends to be the problem,and that seems to be the case with my phone.  It suddenly takes up 1G or more of memory (and I only have an 8G phone), and it uses up about 45% of the battery life.  I can have my phone just sitting all day, and the battery is gone within about 7 hours.  To keep the phone functional, I have to clear the data on Google Play Services every few days or so; otherwise, I won't have enough memory to use the phone at all.  You can't do a "stop" on Google Play Services, so I can't stop it to conserve battery.

I've turned off the GPS, and I use the Doze app to keep my apps inactive when I'm not using the phone.  I've pretty much done everything possible to conserve battery life, and I've deleted most of my apps (and put those that I could, along with photos, on an SD card). 

I've also turned my phone off to try to disrupt Google Play Services, and I've reset the phone by taking out the battery.

Are there any suggestions for how to resolve this problem with Google Play Services?  It's a real pain to not be able to rely on my phone staying charged for a full day, even when I'm not using it!  (And taking it to a Sprint repair store is kind of a waste of time; those guys really don't know anything except how to do factory resets.)

Tags (2)
24 REPLIES 24
Master

Re: Google Play Services battery / memory drain

ltwau,

Thank you for contacting us. Allow us the opportunity to help.

What is the make and model of your Sprint device?

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Journeyman

It's an LG G3 Vigor.  Model LGLS885.

Sprint Social Care

ltwau

If you want to stop Google Play services from draining your battery, please know that it might be using the GPS a lot. To reduce battery usage associated with location services, navigate to Settings > Location and changing the Mode to “Battery saving.” This will prevent Google Play Services from turning on your device’s GPS hardware when apps request your location.  The GPS radio uses quite a bit of battery power, and all that GPS usage will be pinned on Google Play Services — not the app that requested your GPS location.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I'm sorry, but did you read my post?  I already turned off the GPS, and I've put Location into "Battery Saving" mode.  I've done everything possible to save the battery, and it doesn't help. 

GrandMaster

boot into safe mode on your phone and test it for a while. after the factory reset did you end up dumping all your old apps right back onto your phone? if you boot into safe mode and test it for a few hours and you dont end up running into the memory drain or battery drain then its being caused more than likely by another app in there and not google play services.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I've only added in a few apps.  And then I started losing memory and battery right away again.  So I don't think that's it.

I can go to the battery usage and see how much battery Google Play Services is using (about 45%, usually).  And I can go to storage and see how much storage Google Play Services is taking up; as I wrote above, it accumulates over 1G every 4 days or so.  That's without adding apps or doing anything to the phone.

GrandMaster

this is more of a device specific issue though..i just checked its usage on my device (not LG) and the battery usage and memory usage is very minimal. i cant remember if there was a way to uninstall updates for the play store or not. for giggles though and to eliminate the possibility that the apps might be causing a conflict within your phone disable them...restart your phone..double check to make sure they are still disabled..then test for a couple hours..if it still continues then its something with the play app itself..actually have you gone into the play store to see if it had any updates for it? or does your phone auto update all your apps?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

My phone does auto updates (although I have it notify me, and then I update when it's plugged in).  I'll try what you suggest.

If you Google "google play services" and memory or battery, you'll see that the problem I'm having is very common.

GrandMaster

i can say its not been an issue with any of my phone since the original Evo. however i can see there being a conflicting issue between a phones OS and the play app if the play app isnt up to date and compatible with whatever OS is on your phone currently..only thing i can think of..you pretty much hit everything else already..also keep in mind that you dont see a ton of reports of it in this forum youre posting in for the G3V..i scanned through a bit and not one mention other than yours. im leaning towards google play needing to be updated on your phone. there are ways to try and force the app to check for updates but for the life of me i cant remember how.

Journeyman

Thanks. 

I really wish someone from Sprint actually had some knowledge about this issue.  I have no faith in the tech/repair guys at the Sprint store. 

GrandMaster

out of curiosity how long has it been doing this? and did it start happening semi close to when you had a update for the phone or a number of apps by chance? if it started up semi recently go into the play store and go into the section for your apps...then scan through the recently updated and see what all has been updated..might have been some other phone type updates in there for some of the built in apps etc that might be causing the conflict.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat