cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Play Services battery / memory drain

GrandMaster

Re: Google Play Services battery / memory drain

google play isnt one of their apps..technically if there is an issue with google play then it would be up to the OEM and google to get it figured out...especially if its due to a conflict between the phone and the play store or one of the built in apps and the play store.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

wait..google services..grr..brain [inappropriate word removed] that one..still same scenario though..the OEM would need to work with google to get it figured out.

Message was edited by: TheModerator
This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines. For your reference, here are the Community Guidelines: 

https://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/blog/2016/02/01/sprintcom-community-terms-con...

Thanks for your participation in the forums!

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Even if it's not a Sprint app, Sprint sells phones with it included, and you can't get rid of it--so it seems as though they should have some knowledge of what to do when it causes problems significant enough to prevent from the phone from being functional!

All this started happening quite a while ago.  I thought it was a matter of just not having enough memory and too many apps, so for a while, I just kept deleted apps, which didn't help.  Then I took it to the Sprint guy, who did the factory reset,which didn't help.  But I can look back 2-3 months to see if I notice anything.

GrandMaster

biggest things to clear up to save on memory that people dont really think about would be stuff like texts..if you have multiple chats in there with say 500 texts in each that eats up a ton of memory. ditto with videos and pics..if they havent been saved to a SD card you might want to get them transfered. usually when something like this happens its not just out of nowhere..usually it happens right after some kind of update whether it be for an app or for the phone itself..might have been a quick simple small update but even those can wreck a bit of havoc from time to time

Journeyman

Oh, all the texts are gone--got rid of those the first time this started happening.  All the photos are on an SD card.

GrandMaster

videos as well? basically youre running into the same issues the original Evo did..lack of internal memory...well lack of more that was needed for that type of device and no real ways to get more unless you dumped apps and transferred as much as possible to a sd card.

Journeyman

Yeah, everything that I could move, I did.  And I have very few apps.

Here's the thing:  the problem isn't constant.  Right now, everything is working fine.  The battery doesn't drain too fast; Google Play Services isn't sucking up all the memory.  But at some point, the battery won't stay charged, and Google Play Services will suddenly take up 1.5 GB of memory. 

That's why this problem goes along with something I've read about on a few other forums: Google Play Services suddenly gets into some kind of loop for a while and goes crazy, basically.   In other forums, they recommend doing a hard stop to get Google Play Services out of its craziness, but that hasn't worked on my phone.

GrandMaster

if you look through settings what is it showing as taking up the most memory on there? depending on how old of a phone it is it might not be as aggressive when it comes to dumping off recently used apps as one of the newer devices are with the newer operating systems.  so one thing you can try is once a day dump recent apps..wonder if its hanging onto them instead of dumping them

GrandMaster

forgot to mention every android device out there has google services..android is google..there is only so much they can recommend to try when it comes to that since its a google deal..they cant do anything with it either..if its a conflicting issue between the phone and google services then its something the OEM and google would need to get on..

ltwau wrote:

Even if it's not a Sprint app, Sprint sells phones with it included, and you can't get rid of it--so it seems as though they should have some knowledge of what to do when it causes problems significant enough to prevent from the phone from being functional!

All this started happening quite a while ago.  I thought it was a matter of just not having enough memory and too many apps, so for a while, I just kept deleted apps, which didn't help.  Then I took it to the Sprint guy, who did the factory reset,which didn't help.  But I can look back 2-3 months to see if I notice anything.

Journeyman

It's only Google Play Services.  That's the only thing that changes memory.  It will go up 1GB in a day.  When I clear the app data, it's fine until it does it again.

None of the other apps suck up memory.

GrandMaster

i know this was a random issue back in the day with the original Evo and a few random devices even today. did you get a hold of that repair store and let them know its eating up memory again?

Journeyman

I haven't had time to get to the Sprint repair center, although I don't have high hopes.  Those guys really don't know very much.  I'm going next week, though

I was out this evening and left the house with my battery 100% charged and plenty of memory.  I requested a Lyft and sent one text message--that was my only phone usage. Five hours later, the battery was at 14% and the memory was almost gone.  Google Play Services had taken up the memory.  And it's almost always using about 35% of the battery. 

If you Google "Google Play Services" and "battery drain" or "memory," you'll see that this is a very common issue.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat