cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: LG G3 Vigor & Home Automation – Dropcam – Nest – WeMo – and More

Sprint Product Ambassador

Test Drive LG G3 Vigor & Home Automation – Dropcam – Nest – WeMo – and More

Since introduction, the ability to control and monitor my home devices from a smartphone has been crucial to my sanity and ultimately a “deal breaker” when migrating to new devices.  Not saying any of the related apps are particularly CPU or Memory intensive but again, they have to work and they have to work well (reliably).  My blog today will focus on just how well the LG G3 Vigor achieves the task and how it matches up to my earlier G2 device in terms of speed, quality and functionality.

My favorite part of my home monitoring collection is the use of IP Cameras.  Here, I use one of two hardware solutions and use them both frequently throughout the day.  The first (often most forgiving) is Dropcam.  With Dropcam, the app works on a many different versions of Andriod and works very well on practically every device I’ve tried.  It does adjust streaming resolution depending on connection speed and sadly doesn’t see Sprint Spark beyond a standard 4G connection but all that aside it remains very usable and accessible (even on 3G).  No surprise, the LG G3 Vigor has no problems with all functionality of the app and everything works great.

Dropcam.jpg

My second camera solution is Foscam (another IP Camera) and surprisingly, I’m getting MUCH better results with the LG G3 Vigor.  The app works just as well as it did on my LG G2 but I was very pleasantly surprised that my frame rate flies on Sprint Spark (solid 8 fps) whereas it didn't work as well on my LG G2 (Also on Spark, same app version, but only 2 fps).  For this app performance hike alone, I certainly am thankful.  Anyways, I can use the app all day with no unforeseen problems and all integration works just like it should.

Another element of my home automation suite is the integration of both the Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Protect.  As with previous devices I've used.  The app works great on the LG G3 Vigor.  I can view and control all features of the app and have no limitations in terms of speed or performance.  The Nest Company, who is now part of Dropcam certainly knows how build to their market and it’s great seeing mid-tier devices are not cast aside with all the same functionality and reliability as their big brother counterparts.

NEST.jpg

Finally (for now), I also use several Belkin WeMo devices.  These are for my automated lights and outlets and although I love these most dearly, I always had challenges with my LG G2 (especially during initial configuration).  I had my doubts but I’m happy to say the transition to the LG G3 Vigor was completely painless.  I couldn't gain access initially (trying to access away from my home network) but once I was home I was able to find all my attached devices and the app prompted me to unlock for external accessibility.  Absolutely no problems reaching my devices by either cellular or WiFi connections and the app itself works just like it should.

So all and all, from my perspective the LG G3 Vigor easily meets my needs (for home automation).  Especially for those needing a modest price solution (with all the functionality of these apps), the LG G3 Vigor will certainly rise to the needs of those needing the peace of mind.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Ambassador Team

LGG3_Vigor.jpg

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.