LG G3 Software update - version LS990ZV8
For anyone that has upgraded to ZV8 and is having issues with data - switching between 3G and LTE at random, losing data connectivity all together - I would recommend updating the PRL on your handset.
Even though the PRL should not have impact with in-network connectivity, for some reason I have noticed better performance with the latest PRL update. Again, your mileage may vary, but it may help resolve a connectivity issue.
I am having problems with my internet both on mobile and Wi-Fi. After a few screens it say "Proxy Server connection failed." I use other devices on my Wi-Fi without problems. Any suggestions??
Still don't like the different features on the upgrade!!
The update slowed my phone down and now Im having connection issues. I'll receive a Proxy Connection Failed message when trying to access websites and I have to refresh several times for it to work. I never had this connection issue before the update.
If you like to use the apps or widgets from your lock screen, don't be in a hurry to upgrade. Many of the little things that I liked about the G3 over my EVO have been lost in the upgrade. I haven't seen much improvement in performance or extras brought about with Lollipop. Wish I could revert back to 4.4.
Yes it does not keep up the wireless automatically so I have to manually go and turn it off and on. WISH I CAN DOWNGRADE BACK TO KIT KAT. LILLIPOP IS NOT WORTH UPDATING.
With all of the negative comments about the updated (5.0.1) software, is there any word on if/when the next release (which hopefully resolves all of these problems) is coming? I am on my second G3. I had it for about a week with 5.0.1 and it behaved so horribly, i took it back and got a new one. I have 5.0.1 waiting on me right now and I won't update to it because I don't want the same problems as I had with the first one and those that I'm reading about.
Another 2 users here where the wifi is connected, solid signal, but then data on wifi stops working. Eventually leading to the network being "disabled".
I've changed network settings on my access point, I've updated access point firmware, I've assigned static IP's, I've reset the access point and reconfigured, I've changed channels, not to mention adding in a second and third access point to attempt to combat this.
On the phones side, I've tried ALL of the previously mentioned steps, battery pull, changed advanced settings in wifi, I've factory reset the phone multiple times, updated PRL (which should not impact wifi at all).
This is highly frustrating.