cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Ambassador - LG G3 Camera Impressions

Journeyman

I am not much of a phone photographer, I still prefer the feel of the camera in my hands.  Though I do recognize the need, and the medium that is springing up around the camera's in phones.  There are entire groups dedicated to this pursuit, as well as there are thousands of Apps for Cameras on the market.  To that end I have decided to put some work into the Camera on my LG G3.

From the fact sheet  :Digital Camera: Dual camera functionality with 13MP OIS rear camera and 2.1MP front camera.

There is quite a bit of muscle to work with on this device.  It gives the ability to take breath taking pictures right out of the box.  I think it bears some explaination as to exactly what a Megapixel is, and how it pertains to a camera.

meg·a·pix·el/ˈmegəˌpiksəl/
noun
a unit of graphic resolution equivalent to one million or (strictly) 1,048,576 (220) pixels.

What that really means.  A megapixel (that is, a million pixels) is a unit of image sensing capacity in a digital camera. (A pixel - a word invented from "picture element" - is the basic unit of programmable color on a computer display or in a computer image.) In general, the more megapixels in a camera, the better the resolution when printing an image in a given size. A digital camera with a 1.3 megapixel resolution will print a good quality 4 x 3 inch print at 300 dpi (dots per inch). If a higher quality is needed or a larger print at the same quality, a camera with a higher megapixel value will be needed.

The number of images that can be stored in a given size of flash memory for the camera is determined by the size of the flash memory and the size of each image in terms of megapixels.

Now how does it directly correlate with your phone camera.  In the easiest sense of the facts, the more megpixels the camera has the detailed the picture can be.  The easier it is to enlarge with out getting blurry or see background details that you thought were hidden.  The camera on the device is amazingly sharp and detailed.

LG also included Laser Focus on the device.

What is laser AF?
Laser focusing is there to help out with a deficiency in the normal kind of focusing used by mobile phone cameras, and most cameras of all kinds – contrast detection. This focus system uses the normal output from the camera sensor, analysing it as the focusing engine moves back and forward in order to find out at which points the image is sharpest.

The issue? If there's not much light, there won't be enough contrast in the image to judge whether it is in focus or not.

The laser focusing aid provides this light. The output from a low-power laser is scattered out across the scene, giving multiple points of light upon which the contrast detection system can hang. Focusing on a little point of light on a subject is just as good as focusing on the subject itself.

Using this kind of focusing rules-out having to use the LED flash as a focus aid, which is particularly handy if you want to take pictures of people in poor lighting. The less time spent with lights flashing in your eyes, the better. ((Taken from http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/how-the-lg-g3-laser-af-camera-focus-works Visit here for more indepth explainations))

All an All Amazing Camera on a phone that really does rival the much expensive SLR I have on my shelf.

Jeremy The Product Ninja

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.  #sprintemployee #unlimityourLG  #ThinkLG #SprintProductNinja