cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: LG G3 review

Journeyman

http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2014/05/27/795/n/1922507/403266894d87f790_LG_G3_1.xxxlarge/i/LG-G3-Metallic-Black.jpg (source)

It is so easy to have a difficult time deciding which smartphone to choose since the options are plentiful,

and, in general, the hardware features can look exceedingly similar. What sets apart an outstanding

phone from just another great Flagship device are the features the manufacturers has decided

to implement (or omit) with the user in mind. This can be a a simple addition to the notifications to tray for

easy shortcut access to settings options that are regularly modified by the typical user (e.g. volume, WiFi,

brightness, et. al.), or a useful "multi-window" feature that allows a person to have a text message and

email open side by side. This blog was made to make it easier for you to decide whether the LG G3 is the one

for you.

Specs
The G3 is by no means a specs slouch. The hardware on the phone is state of the art, cutting edge equipment
that screams "powerhouse":

Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 at 2500 MHz, and an Adreno 330 Graphics processor
Memory: 3GB of RAM, with 32GB of built in Storage space (expandable to 128 GB via microSD slot)
Display: 5.5", 538 ppi, 1440 x 2560 pixels, IPS LCD
Camera: 13 megapixel rear Camera, Dual LED Flash, Optical image stabilization with a Laser Focus for
  significantly faster camera focusing and 4k recording capability, and a 2.1 megapixel from facing
  camera
Battery: 3000mAh *removable* battery, and capability for wireless charging with addons
Extra: IR blaster! 

As you can see, the specs are top of the line, but does the phone actually measure up?

https://community.sprint.com/baw/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-5308-51555/lg+g3+leak-580-90.jpg(source)

Screen

I cannot tell people enough: The screen is absolutely stunning. When I first heard of quad HD screen on a phone, I was

convinced that it was more of a "let's see who has the biggest and best" type of feature; something that you can

tout about, but did not really have any practical, everyday impact.

I was wrong.

The screen is probably the biggest selling point of this device. Once you see the preloaded high-def videos, you

will understand why. When I look at High-res scenary pictures, like one of a tree in autumn (for example), the colors pop out

so much, the contrast is so good, the picture looks so sharp, that sometimes it almost looks like the leaves are moving in the

wind. If you do not believe me, head over to a store and check them out. Make sure to turn the brightness all the way up to

get the full effect. It does not disappoint, and far exceeds any expectations I had, blowing any other phone's screen

out of the water, both on paper and in person.

Customizability

Where to start. This is probably the most customizable flagship device currently on the market. A user can change

anything from which icons show up in the settings shortcut bar (notifications tray), to vibration strength. 

Vibration strength. Think about that for a moment. This phone gives you so many customizability options, that it

lets you change the vibration strength. LG has definitely done a great job thinking about the user and allowing access to

settings that really make the phone yours.

Other customizations include changing the shortcut apps available on the lock screen, setting up a knock-knock code for

unlocking the device (aside from the normal 2 knocks that can be done to unlock/lock the screen), and changing the number

of homescreens/which one is set as the actual home. More customizability (yes, there are more. I did not even touch the

apps drawer, gesture, or guest mode customizations.) will be covered in a future customization blog. Could the "customization"

have been emphasized more here? CUSTOMIZABLE CUSTOMIZATIONS!

http://cdn1.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/mobile_phones/LG/LG%20G3/Leaks/LG_G3_evleaks_front-580-90.jpg (source)

Aesthetics

I have never been a fan of plastic phones that look plastic. Sure, give me one that has the look and feel of a rubbery/matte

TPU type material, or a metal chassis. After all, no one wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone to have it look like a

Fisher Price "my first phone" device. Without actually feeling the LG G3, no one could ever guess it is plastic. It looks

like a brushed metal chassis, and feels just as solid as one. Both the black (looks more like a gunmetal grey color) and the Gold

(which has a more refined copper color than cheap yellow look) are beautifully made to look and feel like the premium device that

it is. If anyone would have asked me a fews days ago whether or not I would buy a Gold phone, I would have said no. This phone

made me change my mind. 

The other thing to note it the placement of the volume rocker and power button. I thought this was such a strange move when

LG did this with the G2. I just could not figure out why they would do this. After using the phone for a few days, I can

safely say this is a must-have with any phone over 5". The index finger naturally falls right in that area when holding the

phone with one hand (think about the dimple the back of the Moto X has). It was a smart move on LG's part, and something that

would pleasantly most people. 

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/gold-lg-g3.jpg (source)
Camera

This is, by far, the fastest focusing camera I have ever used on a smartphone. Ever. I would imagine that this has to do with the

laser focus and optical stabilization features LG has added to the device. Picture quality is great, and the ability to record 4k

video at 30 frames per second is nothing short of awesome. Even if I decided to never use the phone as anything but a camera, I

feel like I would still get my moneys worth.

Overall User Experience
The phone is generally very stable. There have been times where I see some very minor visual lag throughout the operating system. 

When the phone is smooth, it is EXTREMELY smooth, but there are some moments, when swiping from screen to

screen (for example), where minor visual hiccups are seen. This may be addressed in a future update for all we know, but

for now, it is an extremely minor annoyance, considering all of the amazing features you get on the device.

The phone works great with games, thanks to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor and the adreno 330 graphics processor. 

Videos also look stellar thanks to the screen. Browsing is exceptionally excellent with the bigger screen and crystal clear

text, so reading articles or looking at pictures become a treat. Battery life has been, at minimum, on par with the great

longevity the HTC One M8 offers (which is amazing, lasting well beyond the average "one day" requisite the average user

has), but true battery statistics cannot accurately be measures until the device has been used for about a month or so. 

One thing to note about the battery, though, is that LG has opted to switch back to a removal standard. This is a

great move for those that like to have the option of extra battery life without the added bulk that a battery case adds.

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/121890-thumb/headder-TN.jpg (source)

Final Thoughts

Overall, the phone has been an absolute delight to test out. The screen is absolutely stunning, unparalleled by any of its

U.S. competitors, both in pixel density and resolution. Battery life is stellar, horsepower is great, and the addition of the

IR blaster is extremely convenient. The combination of customization options and the fact that the battery is now removal set

this phone apart, eclipsing any minor visual hiccups that the user may encounter. That screen. That screen is something else.

Seriously...

...I digress...

If you are in the market for a new phone, do yourself a favor and check out the all new LG G3 at a retail store near you.
This is not a phone you can judge by just reading some spec sheet, but an experience you need to have in person to

really gauge what the phone is capable of.

THE SCREEN!

Sorry. I had to. It's that good.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee