cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two G3 Issues

Journeyman

Re: Two G3 Issues

I've not once implied I'm using the the card for anything but mp3s. This is type of files I'm having problems with. I can copy mp3s all day to the main memory but when I try to transfer them (using File Manager) I eventually run into the previously mentioned problems. When I mentioned this in the two visits I made to a Sprint store and duplicate the problem the tech always tells this is the first he's ever seen or heard of the problem. I can copy a couple of files but I always get to a point where the card completely fails. It's all over the internet and I've had the problem on two brand new phones. It's too bad the rules for internal memory doesn't apply to the sd card as well. If I knew sd cards would be rendered inert I would have bought a phone that doesn't have one. Wait, Google sells one. What a coincidence.

Journeyman

Also, I've found the smaller the card size the more reliable it is. Using a 128gb card is one of the key selling points. I've tried two and they both fail almost immediately. I've tried four different 64gb cards. They fail at about the 12gb full point. I have several 32gb cards that I've not tried. Perhaps the problems isn't necessarily the sd card from an OS point of view as it may be a capacity issue. I don't know. Either way something's still broke.

Master

nbafan99

We will need to research this issue further. Can you open this link http://bit.ly/1qQty1X and send the information requested. Once the information is received via email a Social Care representative will contact you within 24 business hours.

Thanks,
Pamela
Sprint Social Care
Sprint Product Ambassador

nbafan99 Here are my thoughts on the SD card...

• First, an old microSD card will not work on most newer phones. Their read/write speeds are to slow and can cause the phone to lock up / freeze during boot up trying to read information on the card. The SD card in some instances will unmount and/or become corrupted. I found this out when I tried to use one of my old micro SD cards....
  • On my HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5 I bought a new SanDisk Ultra Class 10 32GB microSD card and both cards would crash and unmount. I returned both SD cards and bought a PNY Class 10 32GB sd card and I have not had an issue with either card on either phone...
  • With the success on my other two phones with the PNY SD card, I bought one for my LG G3. I have not had a single issue with the card on my G3. I even used File Manager just a few minutes ago to move 4GB of data from Internal memory to my SD card with no issue and did not take that long either.

Most new phones require at least a Class 6 microSD card, although I would not use anything other than Class 10 because that is needed for any 1080 video created from the phone. Based on my own personal experience with microSD cards I have switched from ScanDisk to PNY

Another microSD card I am looking at is the Samsung EVO and PRO 32GB microSD cards. I have read good reviews on them for their fast read/write speeds...

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Sprint Product Ambassador

"I can't download or save files to my external sd card with any app except the built in File Manager. I've tried ES File Explorer and ASTRO File Manager. I get errors saying I don't have permission to perform this action. I tried plugging my usb cable to a PC and copying files. Too 4 hours to copy MP3z. Music apps on my phone sees them but won't play them. File Manager says they aren't there. I don't use File Manager since I can only copy one file at a time (what a waste)."

"If I'd known the sd card slot would be inert I wouldn't have bought it. I hope this is being researched. I figured out how to move/copy multiple files using File Manager. Too bad there's no mention of how to use it in the user's guide. If I try to listen to my music using Winamp it will dismount my card and it won't remount until it's formatted."

This is a documented security configuration of Android KitKat. I recommend reading this article for a better understanding of the "issue" and the reasoning behind it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

You will need to use LG's File Manager to mange files on your SD card. Or use the application that "owns" the folder; i.e. created the folder upon installation. If you're wanting a 3rd party app to have access to files on a different partition than where its installed, you will either need to uninstall and then re-install to the same partition, and then use the app to create / populate / manage the target repository, or use the LG built in apps which will work just fine.

I installed a 16 GB microSD card in my LG today and copied a few gigs of music over in about 12 minutes. I don't know what type of computer you're using, but if it takes four hours then either you're copying too much data at one time or your system bus is old and/or slow. It may be time to upgrade your computer or use a USB 2.0 compatible port at a minimum.

sprintemployee

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Master

nbafan99,

I wanted to follow up with you and see if any of the information posted recently has helped resolve the SD card issues. Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Audrey

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I figured out the problem may not not be so much the file system now has restrictions on the sd card that aren't present in the internal memory. Why, I don't know. But what I don't understand is the larger the memory capacity of the card the less stable it is in the phone. That's the unanswered question. Calling tech support won't fix it and taking it to the store won't either. As both will want to replace the phone.And since there's no such thing as email tech support for Sprint then I guess this is an issue that will remain unsolved. People tend to use this forum as tech support but when a difficult question comes up Sprint Care disappears.

Highlighted
Wizard

Google has changed Android 4.4.xx and up to block file transfers from the internal storage to an SDcard. They basically want to get rid of SDcards all together in favor of cloud storage.

The size or age of a SDcard are non_factors with stability issues. It is most likely a crappy card from the manufacturer.

Samsung, Kingston and Corsair are the manufacturers I would recommend buy for a quality SDcard with minimal hassles and great tech support if needed.

Master

nbafan99,

In the event that the advice provided by Ninja_CJ is not helping, I believe ALynch40's advise is the best route to take. We can certainly look into providing a replacement SD card if you would like. Please let me know.

*Ben
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Great.  May as well have bought a brick.  I can't even BEGIN to describe how angry I am over this.  My phone functions as a USB drive for secure off-line file transfers.  Well, my old phone did.  I just signed a two-year contract for a [inappropriate word removed] brick.

Message was edited by: TheModerator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat