Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two G3 Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two G3 Issues

First of all I don't know if it's just my or design issues:

1. I can't get any GPS program to give step by step directions. The maps can find me and my destination but won't do anything else. I've tried Google Maps, Sygic and MapFactor. I get the problem with each. It'll start and then nothing happens. My GPS setting are set on High Accuracy (GPS and Networks). It's not a coverage issue as my wife's phone is a Sprint iPhone 5S. We have to use her's to navigate.

2. I can't download or save files to my external sd card with any app except the built in File Manager. I've tried ES File Explorer and ASTRO File Manager. I get errors saying I don't have permission to perform this action. I tried plugging my usb cable to a PC and copying files. Too 4 hours to copy MP3z. Music apps on my phone sees them but won't play them. File Manager says they aren't there. I don't use File Manager since I can only copy one file at a time (what a waste).

Tags (2)
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Master

Re: Two G3 Issues

nbafan99,

Thank you for reaching out. Please clarify the type of phone you are using. Has the sd card been tested for accuracy? Is the sd card from a previous phone? Is the issue with GPS happening at one location or multiple locations? Is wifi on while the GPS issues are taking place? Did you download or install any after market application immediately prior to this happening? Are the issues happening around any specific times? How is the device set under network and roaming settings? Please provide the nearest cross streets and zip code.

- Jewel
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi,

I've got one of the new LG G3's. I'm using cards that I've used from my old phone (original LG Optimus G). I've tried a total 7 cards (32 and 64gb). I've dropped them into my phone, formatted and attempted to use them. I get the same results. This is something I've been working on for about a week now. I recently read an article on how Android 4.4x renders sd cards useless for security reason. That is to say if an app creates a folder only it can use it. I would much prefer to turn this feature off. But this doesn't explain the GPS issue. But to answer your GPS questions I didn't install any app until after many attempts to get Google maps navigation working. My Wifi antenna is on but in my car there's no networks available. Besides, shouldn't using using the GPS satellite antenna alone be sufficient? Lastly, I've not gotten Navigation to work under any circumstances. The GPD will pinpoint my location but no Navigation. If it's trying to save data to the sd card for this purpose than that's another thing Android 4.4x broke.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I got my first bill today and quite frankly I'm rather disappointed it the phone's (or OS') performance. If I'd known the sd card slot would be inert I wouldn't have bought it. I hope this is being researched. I figured out how to move/copy multiple files using File Manager. Too bad there's no mention of how to use it in the user's guide. If I try to listen to my music using Winamp it will dismount my card and it won't remount until it's formatted. I sure hope the GPS issue is being researched too.

Highlighted
Master

I'm a little concerned about the issues you're having with your G3, nbafan99 as are you.  I know that the info I found about the SD card issue says that basically, that .dat file storage system has to be accessible by both Windows and Android systems which makes securing it a nightmare and they'd rather we be safe, at the end of the day.  I get that, but I can't say it's not a little disappointing since the SD card previously enabled us to amp up our phone memory and now it doesn't to any discernible extent. 

I would like you to have the phone looked at in a store regarding the GPS system; nothing in the way it's designed to work should be causing the problems you're having so I'm concerned it's something else. Store techs will be able to tell if it's hardware related and possibly warrant an exchange. - Christy

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanx for the response. I'll make an appointment about the GPS issue. I fear the sd card issue won't be fixed until Android L comes out at the end of the year. I mean if it gets fix with v4.44 who knows when LG will have for the G3 (if ever).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had my phone swapped out at a Sprint Store. This fixed my GPS issue. However my memory card issues remain. Have you been able confirm related issues involving Android 4.4x? Or have you heard of any sort of solution or work-around?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I even tried encrypting the phone and card then rebooted. The card won't mount. When I try to mount it it says 'SD Card Inserted'

Highlighted
Master

nbafan99 - Have tried loading your files on to the SD card externally using a SD card reader? This may be a short term resolution until a patch for this issue is made. - Kareem
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

While this may not help with your problem, I can attest that my G3 has experienced neither of these issues.  Hopefully my comments somehow shed some light on why yours isn't working.

I am running stock Android 4.4.2, with no rooting, or other special mods.

I purchased a brand new SD card @ BestBuy an hour before I picked up my G3, and had it inserted during the battery installation.  When I connect it to my PC, I select MTP mode, and it shows up in my computer as a mobile device.  When I copy files to the external card, I receive a warning from Windows that it MIGHT not be readable by the device, but the pre-installed music app and GooglePlay are able to play them just fine.

Here's the card I purchased: SanDisk Pixtor 32GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card SDSDQU-032G-AB46A - Best Buy

Good luck - I hope you get this sorted soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anybody home?

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Glad to hear the store got your device replaced and GPS issues solved.

As for microSD card issues...

Yes, there are limitations on SD storage use as a limitation of Google's Android 4.x. Google decided to eliminate the myriad problems being reported by the use of so many different quality and speed cards. So they clamped down their use to only "consumable" media; i.e. pics, music, videos. Yes, technically, you can still install or move apps over to SD cards, but Android likely will balk. Plus, that option is completely at the discretion of the app developer.

I've installed two different SanDisk microSD cards in my LG G3 with no issues. They both had been used on previous devices. The only limitations I have are those imposed by Android. I highly recommend you get a microSD-to-SD converter, insert the card into a regular Windows based PC or laptop and perform a CHKDSK function on the card. Then try using it in the G3 again. If that still fails try a known good memory card.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat