So they decide that only a small number will get it on the first day and then let everyone else wait four days FOR NO REASON before the rollout continues? This is the worst way to lie to your customers, Sprint, and I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau over this matter. Thanks, YesMario for bringing this out in the open.
They do this because they want to make sure things go well and to see if any issues happen and if they do, they pull the update and fix it, which I've seen multiple times with other devices. That way only a small batch of people only get affected and not millions.
Oh no not the Better Business Bureau! They don't care - they are a franchise, just like McDonald's, etc. As long as a company pays their fees to be a member all is well. The BBB is NOT a Federal agency
If this is the worst thing to happen to you this week you're having a pretty good week.
Is your phone functioning without the update? Do you really want the update before the bugs are worked out?
Some of you are being unreasonable. If you had ever gotten a bad update, you wouldn't be nearly so antsy. Remain calm, it's Lollipop, not the messiah
So I finally saw the rollout schedule for this. If you weren't in the lucky 10% that got it the first day (Monday the 16th) you won't get until at least tomorrow at the earliest. (Tuesday-Thursday had no activity) Another 5% will get it tomorrow (Friday) for a total of 15% user base. Then another 10% for a total of 25% of all users will have it on Saturday. By Sunday another 25% will get the push for a total of 50% user base. Then whoever doesn't have it by Sunday will get it on Monday for sure which is the completion day for the rollout. At least now we know how it's going to work.
Nice to see how they're rolling out their updates. I personally will wait awhile before accepting the update after seeing AT&T's G3 user's updating to lollipop going through many many issues. Biggest I can tell is battery life taken a major hit. Not lasting half it's life like it should be. User's did their factory rest/cache wiping too. Even the Galaxy S5 (I know it's unrelated to our phones) has been going through major issues too with their lollipop update. Kit Kat is running perfectly fine for me, I'm patience enough to see how it runs on our networks phone from other users reviews, complaints, issues... etc.