cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 - Customization Tips Using LG SmartWorld - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello again, everyone!

(Note - The images below may appear compressed on either mobile or desktop viewing, clicking on the photos will open into a new tab so that you can see the full image without distortion!)

Another week, another blog!  This time I wanted to focus on the LG G4's customization options that many people seem to overlook.  In previous iterations of devices (not just LG), customization was minimal, which required the need for 3rd Party applications from the Play Store.  Changing the look and feel of the device took many steps, a couple of apps, and wasted memory space.

LG has introduced LG SmartWorld, which is a place for LG owners to find various ways to customize their devices.  A user can change the theme of the device, download high quality background images, and even change the way the stock LG Keyboard looks.  Want to change your icons?  Done.  Want a red keyboard? Done. Want a new font? Done!  Let's look into the different options below:

SmartWorld Icon on LG G4:

SmartWorld_Icon.png

SmartWorld Landing Page:

SmartWorld_Home.png

From the home screen of SmartWorld, you can scroll down to find numerous options including:

• New Apps
  • Customization bundles
  • Wallpapers
  • Fonts
  • Home themes
  • Keyboard Themes
  • Other application categories (Entertainment, vacation, games, utilities, etc.)

Fonts are a fun way to customize your phone to make it "you."  I love to change my fonts because it gives my device a new feel every time.  Did you know your device already has different font options pre-installed?  Well, now you do!  You can access these by going to Settings > Display > Font Type and selecting your font of choice.  Pre-installed fonts include: Roboto, Travel, Foxrain, Coffee, Purewhite, and Serif -- You'll need to view them on the device to see what they look like in better detail.  Here's a preview:

LG_PreInstalled_Fonts.png

Now, let's go look at some fonts in the LG SmartWorld!  Once you select the Fonts category, you can see a list of all available fonts.  You can sort by "Top Free" or "New."  There is a long list of available fonts, and I have yet to come across one that is a paid font.  Other applications in the Play Store may provide one or two fonts at no cost but require additional in-app purchases for more fonts.  LG gives these to you for FREE (at this time, anyway)!   Here's some of the available fonts to choose from -- you can see a preview of the font in the icon of the font:

SmartWorld_Font_Options.png

I chose to go with the MS Star Candy and it looks like this:

Star_Candy_example.png

Here's a new keyboard layout that I chose as well -- Note that these overlays are for the stock LG Keyboard only:

Keyboard Example.png

Note - In order to change the keyboard theme once you've downloaded it follow this path: Settings > General > Language and Input > Click the Gear next to LG Keyboard in the list of available keyboards > Select Keyboard Theme > Choose desired theme.

Here's an example of a theme I downloaded -- it changes the pre-installed app icons as well, which gives it a nicer look instead of a simple background/font change:

Theme Example.png

Note - In order to change the theme once you've downloaded it follow this path: Settings > Display > Home Screen > Theme > Select desired theme

If you're like me and find yourself getting bored of the same old phone after a while, change it up a bit with these fun themes, fonts, and overlays!  There are numerous options to choose from, but what you choose is up to you!  Now, go out and save the world one theme or font at a time!

As always, thank you for reading!  Have you tested any themes, font or overlays?  What is your favorite so far?  Drop a line below with your customization setup of choice, I'd love to know what others like!

- Troy

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee