cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme battery drain - Sprint Zone, Google Play service

Journeyman

Extreme battery drain - Sprint Zone, Google Play service

I went to bed with 45% battery remaining.  6hrs later I'm woken up by the Low Battery Warning saying I'm down to 15%.

Opened up battery usage and the number 1 item was Sprint Zone with 20+% battery usage, next was Google Play Services with 15%.

What does Sprint Zone do during that night that requires that much power?  Same goes for Google Play services?

I have yet to have this phone last an entire day.  I already turned off a lot of items, my screen is on auto, but with a max of 70%.  I did have location at High Accuracy, but only because the LG G4 requires it in order to use Smart Lock at home, which I don't think my HTC One required.

So, it seems I need to charge my phone mid-day to keep using it, and then if its near 50%, I need to charge it again overnight.  That many charging cycles are gonna kill the live of this battery real quick and render it basically useless in less then a year.

If I don't get my free battery from LG soon, I may be returning this phone.

Chris

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Master

Re: Extreme battery drain - Sprint Zone, Google Play service

try resetting cache on the phone and under those apps. (Settings - Application - Sprint Zone/PlayStore)

Do a phone restart after you are done (turn off and on)

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Sprint Zone and Google play dropped off the top use list after a day, but I reset the Cache anyways.  I haven't lost 30% overnight since, but 18-20+% is still regular.

Instead of Google Play Services, one of the top users is now Google Services.  I've turned off location and other things (which I never had to do on my HTC One M7) but battery still can't make it through a day.

I just got an update on the phone this morning, and it asked me to allow googles advance locating services, saying it helps reduce battery usage.  So I did... granted now, under location it turned on Sprint Zone, Sprint Connections Optimizer, My Places Engine...  all which say they are high battery use.

I'm thinking this phone is the biggest mistake I ever made.  Wanted to upgrade because my HTC One M7 was barely lasting a day versus 1.5days when I first bought it.  And now I have a brand new phone that lasts even shorter, even with more features turned off.

Master

This guy is more familiar with m7 then i am, he might be more helpful

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
GrandMaster

on average i usually pulled in almost a full day..but im also a heavy-semi heavy user. this was with the M7..

this poster has a G4 though..way out of my realm lol. actually i think MROGRS would be more onto this one..he's rockin a M9 right now but he's also a LG fanboy.

@ the OP..im not to sure of the steps to do it with the LG line but you can kick the phone into safe mode and let it run with all stock apps only..wont delete your other apps or anything but it disables all 3rd party apps..run it like that for say a half hour or so then check out what all is eating up the battery..if its noticeably dropped then more than likely a 3rd party app is causing google to work double time for whatever reason.

unfortunately google services is a bit wide spread on what exactly it could be doing lol...if im thinking right google services covers a pretty large amount of stuff all at once..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Play Services and Google Services can definitely be hit or miss (sometimes it does more than it should but its pretty amazing as far as background services go AND shouldn't be causing issues) but lets try to get the drain possibly pin pointed.  Can you download and install an app call Gsam Battery Monitor.  The free version is full featured and you will find it VERY useful in tracking battery and other metrics.  It keeps history of after per charges, screen etc... lots of stuff.  There is a "app sucker" screen that will show what is killing your data. Use the phone like normal (charge over night) and when it gets low, check the app sucker screen and see what's going on.  Check back, with what you find here, post screen shot if you like, maybe we can help sort it out.

Also, for your Smart Lock Trusted location, I would maybe drop the location based (since the range is pretty large) and switch to On Body or maybe if you have a BT device at home, use that as trusted device.

Make sure you have turned of the "Hot word" from any screen in the Search/Now app.  That keeps the phone listening and if you are using Google Now, dump it.  It's cool and all, but I just can never justify the battery hit.

Good luck and hope to get this sorted out for ya.

GrandMaster

actually now that im thinking about it Google services should always be your top battery user..i just checked my M9 as well as my M7(still using it for random things until i get everything fully moved to the M9 lol)..both had GS as the top power consumer...my Flex2 now that im thinking of it..same deal.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Ok, so I had GSAM batter monitor run past view days.  Doing mostly normal use, (actual less then normal by using old HTC one m7 on Wi-Fi for somethings), and I get about 14hrs before I need to swap batteries or charge.  The screen shots below were taken this morning... So 6 of the 13ish hours were while I was sleeping.  Basically, if I charged my phone over night, there is no chance I can make it through the day.

tmp_20378-Screenshot_2015-07-08-07-13-581037782027.png

tmp_20378-Screenshot_2015-07-08-07-12-56-1198897853.png

GrandMaster

i noticed you have BT turned on up top there..are you always connected to a BT device and if not do you shut it off or just keep it on?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hi, I'm a Sprint employee and LG G4 Product Ambassador -

I've not seen or heard of others with the battery drain issues you are experiencing. I checked out internal S&R site for any other retail stores seeing this experience, nothing turned up.

Hmm...

I normally have my G4 with "fine" location accuracy enabled and BT always enabled. I almost always get a full day of use from my G4, the exception being truly heavy usage/calling days.

I know with other devices, one of our Product Ambassador ran into a similar issue as what you describe. He did a battery pull, waited 20 secs, reboot. All seemed good after that. You might try just to be safe. Barring that, my only other suggestion is take your device to the closest Sprint retail Service & Repair store and have them check it out.

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

I have my location set to Battery Saving, for the past few days at least.  I just turned BT on when I connected to a BT speaker this morning when I knew I was going to have it plugged in to charge.

As for the battery pull, I got the free battery from LG, and I've been swapping it out in the evenings when the phone is about to die.  So, I don't see that being a solution.  I'll have to try the Sprint store and see if they can find anything.

Only other suggestion I've heard is to unlock the phone and get a custom ROM.  I've never done that, and it seems ridiculous to have to do that just to get decent battery life.

Master

With what I see from your screenshots, everything looks normal.

I have the g4 too and by the time I go to bed (about 15-16hrs in battery) I have about 30% battery left.

Depending on usage, you can't really expect todays smartphones to last 2-3 days in 1 charge.

19% for 13.5 hrs looks about right, seeing that your match app has an impact, which means more screen usage (35% of total consumption).

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat