cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 Boot Loop consolidation thread

Highlighted
GrandMaster

LG G4 Boot Loop consolidation thread

As was done for the Note7 recall I am assisting the site agents and attempting to consolidate this issue as much as possible so you the customer can get better assistance and make it a bit easier for the agents to locate each of you to assist rather than digging through a onslaught of posts trying to find who is needing help and who is just chiming in. The previous boot loop thread hit 16 pages and a LOT of the posts in there were just conversations that made it harder for an agent to dig through and locate people still needing help. Side questions about the process are allowed but once answered they will be removed after 24 hours so they have enough time to have been viewed.

As for this issue there are things that will need to be done. If you do these steps and run into issues at the store location this is where this thread will come into play

Things you will need to know/do

-You will need to take the device into a corporate repair store.

-The device must be in good condition. Cracked screen/damage to the device will void this. If you have a damaged screen you can look into getting the screen replaced and then turn back around to get the G4 replaced.

-The process to do this should take around 2 hours for the tech to diagnose the phone to insure that it is in fact part of the known issue and not coincidental.

-Once it has been confirmed that the phone is in fact one of the affected device it can take up to 3 days for the store to get a replacement device for you unless the store already has a replacement available<~prepare for the worst and expect the 3 day going in so you dont get surprised with it.

Now to the point of this thread.

If you took your device into a corporate repair store and you ran into issue with either them not knowing about the boot loop issue or knowing what needs to be done post in here with

Info needed

-Your first name (agent will contact you so you can leave out your last name)

-Date and time this happened

-Name of the rep you spoke with and or any other individuals you worked with.

-store address/information and if possible the store number (example. Sprint store 321) so they can be contacted.

-A brief explanation of what you were told by the store agents(s). (Specifics on what you were told will help a LOT.)

Any conversations not pertaining to a store or the info needed will be deleted 24 hours after it has been posted if the information requested has not been added . the agents will contact you directly through PM once they get to your post. This is an attempt to make this work in everyone's favor.

When an agent sends you a pm they will be requesting additional info like your phone number etc.

Like myself many of you post in other areas as well. If you come across anyone else with this issue in another area please point them here. I will be doing the same.

TO LOCATE A PM SENT TO YOU:

-If posting in here from a computer/laptop-Click on your name or avatar (half person pic near your name) and it will put you into your profile. The pm notification will be in there

-If posting in here from a phone/tablet/some other device-While signed in and on this site go into your browsers settings and switch to full site mode/desktop mode. Once the way the site looks changes do the above steps for laptops/computers.

Again this is an attempt to make things go a bit smoother. So any assistance with making this happen is appreciated and in the end will work in your favor.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: LG G4 Boot Loop consolidation thread

-Your first name: Christine

-Date and time this happened: 10/14/16, 1 p.m.

-Name of the rep you spoke with and or any other individuals you worked with: Cody W

-store address/information and if possible the store number (example. Sprint store 321) so they can be contacted: "Appointment with 501 Happy Valley, Oregon, United States, 97086 Confirmation number: NG7TFGYN"

-A brief explanation of what you were told by the store agents(s). (Specifics on what you were told will help a LOT.): I explained to Cody that this was the 2nd LG G4 that I've had the boot loop problem with. The first was purchased in July 2015, started the boot loop in late September 2015, and was replaced in early October. The 2nd happend on  10/9 or 10/10 of 2016. After the 2nd failure, I activated an old Epic for use with that number until I could get a replacement.

Despite this being a known issue for the LG G4, I was told by Cody that there was no way to get the bricked phone off my contract; that I had to continue to pay the lease fee on it until the lease expired (July 2017); and that I would have to add another line to my contract in order to get a new phone. All that was done, but I was very irritated at having to continue to pay for a defective/recalled phone with a known defect, and I'd like to know why that policy is in place. If it was an error on Cody's part, then I'd like those costs refunded.

I've also had a horrible time trying to get the right information attached to the right number. Cody assigned a new 541 number to the old Epic, in order to avoid having an early cancellation on the contract (which also means I'm paying for phone/data access for a phone that is sitting in a drawer). He originally assigned the 541 number to the new phone (Galaxy S7), and then was supposed to switch it with the old Epic, which he did--but some things are still showing as the bricked LG G4, some are showing as the Epic, and nothing seems to be showing as the Galaxy, other than that it's the picture that shows on my profile. I finally got the caller ID fixed for the Galaxy so that it shows the correct number when I call or text someone, but the rest of it I've given up on because it's just such a mess. It doesn't really concern me except that when the lease on the LG G4 is finally expired, I don't want to run into some similar nonsense because they've got the wrong phones attached to the lease/phone numbers/etc.

Honestly, I've been with Sprint since 1999 and been primarily satisfied, but this whole LG G4 debacle has really irritated me. If I wasn'tin contract, I probably would have switched providers when the 2nd LG G4 died.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

MERWOMAN

This is definitely not the experience we want our most valuable members to have with us. We have sent you a Private Message, whenever you have a chance, please reply back to us with the information requested.

We look forward to hear back from you!

Ciara

Sprint Social Care

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

John

Today, 1/12/16, about 4:30pm.

-Did not get the agents name

-Store #865.  2955 Cobb Pkwy Se Ste 260  Atlanta, GA 30339

-This is the 3rd G4 I have had an issue with.  I had the phone replaced at the same Sprint store in March 2016 and in May 2016.  Both times the replacement was in the same manufacturing batch which had the issue so I told them each time I would be back when it happened again.  The phone was originally leased in July 2015 at Best Buy, so it is still in lease until July of this year.  

I was hoping the phone would make it until July for lease turn in, but today it boot looped and just shows the LG logo.  A couple times it started up, but before I could even get to Backup in settings, it bootlooped again.  I went to Sprint and explained the problem again.  The agent spoke to the tech in the back and came back to give me options.  He said I could use an upgrade from one of my other 2 lines to get a new phone.  Or that I could buy a cheaper phone, or start a new line and get a new phone.  I balked at those options and he went to talk to a tech again.   He came back and said that if I got it replaced there would be a charge of 350.00.  He gave me the telephone number to LG on a post it note as I was leaving.  

I wasn't getting much help so I went to Best Buy hoping for a miracle.  They pretty much said they couldn't do anything without Geek Squad protection.  But told me to tell the sprint employee that I should still be under warranty since I got replacement devices while the orginal phone was under warranty.  I ended up buying an unlocked phone at Best Buy while i was there just so i have a phone to use as it is essential for my side jobs.

I am not sure what to do about the phone now.  The other 2 times I didn't really have any issue except for it taking several days to get a device back from sprint (and not getting a newer issue free model).

This is the worst job of handling a known manufacturer defect (mainly by LG) that I have ever seen.  

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Good morning John197723.

We are very concern to read about your device and what you have been through. We would like a chance to assist you in replacing the recalled device. We sent you a Private Message, please reply to it at your earliest convenience.

Juan

Sprint Social Care

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

-Your first name (agent will contact you so you can leave out your last name) Deja -Date and time this happened 3/29/17 -Name of the rep you spoke with and or any other individuals you worked with. Dylan - Gateway #410 Evan - Pfluger Crossing 7 representatives over the phone -store address/information and if possible the store number (example. Sprint store 321) so they can be contacted. 9901 N Capital of TX Hwy Austin, Tx 78759 (Gateway #410) 1810 FM 685 Ste 100 Pflugerville, Tx 78660 (TXPFL01) -A brief explanation of what you were told by the store agents(s). (Specifics on what you were told will help a LOT.) G4 had already been replaced in Sep/Oct 2016. Replacement started bootlooping 3/28. Took it to the Capital of Tx Hwy store, over 20 miles from my house. They tried to sell us 2 new phones and a tablet, charge us to activate them, and charge us to pay off the defective phone. Then they tried to use the insurance to replace it with another defective G4. That was not going to work, so they told us to call tech support. Talked to 2 different people who told us we could do an accelerated replacement, but we had to go to a store first. They said there was no record of us going into the store we had just been to less than an hour before. So we went to the Plugerville store, another 20 mile drive. Same story. nothing they could do but replace it with another defective G4. Then we had to go through another round over the phone. Spoke to 5 people this time, all of whom promised us something different, but didn't bother to put any notes on the account. asked to speak with a supervisor, but the rep was unable to find one and said he would call us back in an hour or so. My husband just wants his phone working so he can run his business.
Highlighted
Master

dejalynn21, I'm sorry for the trouble, please reply to my private message so that we can start to work on this.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Highlighted
Journeyman

so 5/1 went to sprint store they called tech support as I had a none working lg g4. the tech said she would order a replacement. Great! not so much!! i check tuesday and nothing online...I go to sprint store wednesday 5/3 talked to tech support (haha) again...no order on file? well so now its been 3 days without an order for replacement...I was transferred so many times i lost count...nobody knows why there is nothing being done. Friday 5/5 still no phone being shipped...bestbuy to the rescue...$41.00 later i walk out with a verizon FLIP!! phone. Now come on sprint no flip phones?? it will be 10 days from first phone call to get a replacement of a phone that lg knows is defective!! so paying for a defective phone does not make me warm and cozy towards sprint!! or LG. So I get home and get online again to tech support...several transfers i finally get a tracking number. 5/10?? before i see replacement. so sad!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

-Your first name : Tom 

-Date and time this happened - Sun - Tue, May 7, 8, 9

-Name of the rep you spoke with and or any other individuals you worked with.  :  Jason Price

-store address/information and if possible the store number: 21017 Hawthorne Blvd
Torrance, CA 90503 - Store 557

-A brief explanation of what you were told by the store agents(s). (Specifics on what you were told will help a LOT.)

-While reviewing email, the phone rebooted itself once, then shut down on Sun. 

-Sun: Went to Sprint store the evening,  Sprint network was down and the tech had left due to the network issues. Asked to return on Monday.

-Mon: Checked in with someone (not Jason).  Waited 45 minutes  and were called up by Jason. He told us the techs left at 6pm.  We arrived just after 6.  It would be nice to have been told that when we checked-in.  Jason asked us to make an appt for Tue.

-Tue:  Appt at 11.  confirmation *GNRG2Z70*

Jason told us the tech said it was definitely the G4 bootloop problem, and we could send it in for repairs and we would get a loaner phone.  The charges were unknown at the time and they would call us before they charged us anything.   We said ok.  He took the phone back to the tech and returned several minutes later with an update.  He then told us that according to the tech, a “few days ago” Sprint policy is no longer fixing these LG G4 issues for free.  There would be a $75 charge and it would take 3-5 business days, but we would get a loaner phone.  We asked why there would be a charge if it is a well-known issue.  Jason just said that is the new policy.  We asked if there was anything he could do to waive that.  He said no.  We grudgingly agreed to that.  He went back to get the loaner phone.  He returned again with a really sad look on his face.  He said, there definitely would a $75 charge, and if they couldn’t fix it, they would automatically send us a replacement phone (assuming the same failing model) and charge us $350!! I verified I understood that correctly.  Jason said, yes, when you sign the paper for the repair, that is what you are agreeing to.   That is outrageous!!! 

-Other options were, pay off the lease contract ($144) AND a $200 penalty because the phone won't boot,  even though there is a known issue with these phones. And then lease or buy a new phone.  

-I asked the tech when the Sprint policy changed on the G4’s, and was told May 2nd.  It seems crazy to me that there is a known issue with these phones and Sprint did nothing to warn their customers about it before they “bricked”.  Now we are left holding the bag with a dead phone and I feel like I am being held-up.  We take immaculate care of our phones and keep them for years. 

-I would like Sprint to handle this like they would have if this phone died last week.  This phone died through no fault of ours, but through manufacturing problems.  These phones should have been recalled a long time ago. 

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Tom.

Sorry to read about your situation. We would like to look further into this issue to get this resolved. We just sent you a Private Message, please reply back as soon as you can.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
GrandMaster

@laurad1955 Sprint has flip phones. i think the latest one was the Go Flip by Alcatel.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Ivan

05/29/2017 1:40pm

spoke with Alexis. Dont recall his last name. 

Sprint store 2078

i attempted to explain to the associate that this phone was faulty and wouldnt turn on. Associate seem to have wanted a sale because he kept brushing me off. I attempted to explain about the issue and that they would have to verify it is really one of the phones affected and they said it would be 75$ just too look at it. They claimed it was due to me not having insurance on the phone. I advised it would be under warranty since phone has about 10 months. They said it Would still be assessed and a refurbished one. At the end I was turned down.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat