cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 Issues

Journeyman

LG G4 Issues

We did the z6 update on our LG g4 and now the screen is wigging out and selecting things without even touching the screen, Went to a repair store and they said to contact LG to get a replacement under a recall, and when i call LG they tel me there is no recall. Contacting sprint via phone now they are telling me for them to replace my phone being i do not have TEP i would be charged $75....how is a recalled device my fault? and why should i be charged for it... this is beyond ridiculous.....

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: LG G4 Issues

Before going through all the replacement scenarios and recommending what to do, have you done a hard reset yet on your device?

Journeyman

First, factory reset your device. If your issues aren't solved by doing so your device may be faulty.

After software updates it is always recommended that you back up your data (e.g. photos, apps, etc.) and then perform a factory reset. This, essentially, gets rid of all the gobbledygook left over from the update and the apps installed on your device after "optimization".

The android M update for the G4 is just around the corner and it is going to be major, so be prepared to do it again.

GrandMaster

there were a batch of G4's that were released early out the gate that had all these issues. they are being replaced at the stores due to this. not all are seeing these problems but the ones that are are being replaced.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Update on my experience:

After having a terrible experience with a sprint repair store and finally receiving a Replacement G4 with the same date code, I did my research and found that the G4 does in fact have a hardware issue that has been identified by LG and Sprint. After my first G4 went into the boot loop and was not recoverable I did my research and found that Sprint was not allowed to sell their existing stock of G4’s because of this potential flaw and had to wait until the G4 ‘s with an October date code were received in stock. Every G4 with an older date code had to be returned by the Sprint stores.

I had last said that I was going to take the replacement G4 to a sprint repair store that I had had a good experience with in the past.  Last weekend I did take the replaced G4 (refurb with date 05/15) to a smaller Sprint repair store where I had upgraded to my G3 and purchased my sons S6. It seems that most of the personnel had changed but were still very nice. Then kept my G4 for most of the day and when I picked it up the repair tech said that all he did was to do a soft reset and clear the cache. I told him that I had already done that with this G4 and the one that eventually went into the endless boot loop. I told him that I knew that If I had wanted to buy a G4 last month that he wouldn’t have been able to sell me one because of the known hardware issue with Sprint and LG. The letter giving instruction to the sprint stores to pull the G4's until the new batch of "Good" G4's were out. His response was "how did you know that?" I said that people aren't quite as dumb these days especially when all you have to do is a google search to find the "recall" letter describing the situation.

He said that it appears to be OK and they could do nothing more. I said that I'm glad that he can guarantee that the older G4 that sprint gave me for a replacement did not have the hardware issue that killed my last one. He really didnt know what to say to that so I left still feeling like I will be having issues again. As I said, I have already had slight but similar issues and feel that this G4 will fail in a few months. I hope not but I have documented everything and given the fact that sprint would not sell a G4 until the new Corrected ones were received this month, I feel that Sprint and LG are not being upfront with the customers that purchase their products even after Sprint told me on my first call regarding this that my date code qualified for a replacement. To replace a 505 date code with another 505 date code is being dishonest in my eyes. Ihave been a sprint customer for over 20 years and will now patiently wait til my family plan leases are up then switch to Verizon or Project Fi. I will also never buy an LG product again either.

GrandMaster

i wonder if the G4 you were given was one of the ones that DIDNT have the issue. from what i have heard it didnt affect all of them. then again this is from different sources so there is also a chance they were wrong lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Lets be honest.. If they knew which ones were defective then they wouldn't have pulled their entire stock in all of the sprint stores. I even wrote a detailed message to LG support and although they won't directly admit they had an issue, they were surprised that Sprint handled my issue in the way they did. That is to say that they replaced it with the same date code.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

that the only repair facility that is near you?

Journeyman

The non-defective replacements have a white or yellow sticker on the end of the box. Do a Google search, there are photos. Obviously, they're afraid everyone will want a replacement, so it's kept quiet. But those really having trouble with the defects are seeking answers and they are there to be found...

Journeyman

I know you posted nearly a year ago but I was wondering how you found the recall letter.  I have searched and cannot find it.  I purchased my G4 around the 2nd or 3rd of October last year and last week it suddenly malfunctioned.  The store associate was very familiar with what is wrong with it.  I have tried to figure out the manufacture date but so far haven't.  I know they were supposed to pull them but I am wondering if the store I got it from didn't and sold me a defective device.

GrandMaster

it should be the first 3 of the serial number..i think the range was 505-507. maybe a bit higher..i posted the ranges affected in one of these G4 threads.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat