cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 Screen Recall Not Honored

Journeyman

LG G4 Screen Recall Not Honored

We got an LG G4 back in June when it first came out, extending the contract 2 years in the process. Soon after the screen started having weird problems where it would "split" and have the right side get crazy. Now its easy to search and find that Sprint and LG admitted a hardware defect in late Sept or early Oct and "recalled" this phone. But at that time in June - July there was only denials from Sprint and LG, and since we did not have insurance we were forced to have a 3rd party replace the screen. Now the same exact problem is back! I'm assuming our replacement screen must have also been part of the defective batch since it was still so early, or maybe the problem is with the phone itself - I'm not sure since the things I've read are not always clear and since Sprint and LG are handling this as quietly as possible with few acknowledged details. But what is clear is that we have the same problem again, and I've taken it to multiple Sprint stores, and all refuse to help. Some just say we don't have insurance so they won't help us, but a couple acknowledge the problem is a recall-type defect but still refuse to help since we have replaced the screen ourselves. Of course we only did that because they refused to acknowledge their defect back then, so its mighty convenient that they now can say they don't have to help because they previously forced us to a 3rd party when they refused to help in error! Anyhow I finally got a Sprint technician to acknowledge on the phone that it is still something that should be handled as a recall-type defect, and he sent me back to one of the same stores, but with an incident number and report in my account so that they would have to help me. It took me about 15 minutes to get them to actually check and read my incident report, and then the technician called what sounded like his manager. I could hear enough of the conversation to know that they both acknowledged they would have to handle it this time unless there was water damage. This was said multiple times by the manager to the technician and I thought it was an odd remark to keep being said, since there of course has never been any water damage and since its clearly a defect issue at this point. At this point the technician removed all but one or two screws, and then went into the back for about 10 minutes with my phone for another phone call. It seems odd that this phone call had to be taken in the back when none of the others did, but since he was helping me at this point I didn't think anything of it. He returned after 10 minutes and removed the last 1 or 2 screws, and then held up part of it to me very quickly and pointed to a red dot and said this was proof there was water damage and thus he could not help me. I said there has never been any water damage, but he said this was proof and that was that. Its now pretty clear that his manager told him to do something to my phone in the back to make the sensor be red so that he could refuse to help - and this is just lower than everything else! I bought a phone and extended my contract for 2 years, and I'm a customer of about 15 years with multiple lines, and they've already forced me once to repair this phone on my own that is their defect - and now they intentionally activate a moisture sensor in the back of their store so that they can refuse to do what's right! I have submitted a BBB complaint, although I don't expect much to come of it from what I know about the BBB process, but its about the only thing I can do. I would be happy at this point to either (1) get my phone repaired or replaced or (2) to have my contracts cancelled so I could leave and go somewhere else. For now I have a useless phone that I have already paid extra on once even though it all comes down to a manufacturer defect that Sprint said they would handle but did not!

23 REPLIES 23
GrandMaster

Re: LG G4 Screen Recall Not Honored

problem is its not the screen itself that is causing this. its internal hardware. you can contact LG directly to see what can be done.

side note though..there are 2 water damage detectors in each phone..under normal conditions that first one can say there has been water damage even though there hasnt been..the last one is much deeper inside and is the true make it or break it detector. have that same tech show you the second one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Verizon will pay up to $650 per line of service that you bring to them.  Granted Verizon will probably cost you a boat load more money in the long run, but if Sprint isn't willing to help with this issue...you have options.

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

have that same tech show you the second one.

Without him going into the back room.  Make sure he does it with you watching.

GrandMaster

correct. have them physically show you the stickers

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Mine screen did the same thing sent it to LG service took a few weeks but they fixed it been 4 months running great

GrandMaster

cool. yeah thats the other method..problem is the wait time to get it there, them working on it then sending it back. glad you got yours fixed though. how is it working out for you now?

Master

This is actually the preferred method as it will definitely be replaced with the updated screen. However, the wait time is the biggest problem. If you have an extra phone, just switch over for the interim. But not everyone has a extra phone.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Works good am very happy with it

GrandMaster

sweet..good to hear..everything you originally dreamed it would be...before it decided to junk up on everyone? lol.

Master

Funny thing is, I have this same phone. I haven't seen this yet. Any idea what build dates it is?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Master

KendellD,

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are always here to help.

Nia

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat