cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 unusable after last system upgrade. Help!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G4 unusable after last system upgrade. Help!

The phone started lagging and rebooting randomly; then wouldn't reboot at all or only for very short periods (not long enough to do anything) and then would freeze and/or shut down. Upon hard reboot (pulling battery) it comes back to the LG (powered by android) screen and usually freezes there. About once every 5-10 attempts it makes it to the Sprint spark (booting up) screen and then either shuts down or lets me in very briefly and then shuts down or freezes or returns permanently to the LG screen again. While there that stays on the screen until I have to pull the battery again to hard reboot or because the battery just gets so hot I'm afraid it will fry the phone.

I've managed to reboot into safe mode a few times and that works fine for a short time until I try to use any app or it just reboots (or attempts to) randomly. This morning I got in long enough to empty all caches, run anti-virus, uninstall all apps I hadn't used for a while and check for all updates. It stayed on for a short time after that and then went back to the same problems as before.

The only thing left that I know of would be a factory reset if I can get into the phone long enough to do it. That would really piss me off as it would be the second time I've had to do it on this phone in the past year. Any ideas would be appreciated. Help!

14 REPLIES 14
Sprint Social Care

Re: LG G4 unusable after last system upgrade. Help!

WoodyNeal

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. You can try doing a Factory Reset via Hardware. Make sure you back up all your info before doing it. Follow the instructions below to make the FR:

1. With the device powered off, press and hold the Volume Down key.
  2. While holding the Volume Down key, press and hold the Power key.  Release both keys when the Recovery mode screen appears.
  3. On the Android system recovery screen, press the Volume Down key to scroll to and highlight wipe data/factory reset.
  4. Go to the next step in this articleWith wipe data/factory reset highlighted, press the Power key.
  5. Go to the next step in this articleGo to the next step in this articlePress the Volume Down key to scroll to Yes, and then press the Power key.Go to the next step in this articleGo to the next step in this articleGo to the next step in this article
  6. Once the wipe is complete, press the Power key to select reboot system now.
  7. The device will restart. The master reset is now complete.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

contact LG on this one.

also scan through all the other LG G4 threads in the same area your thread is at..quite a few others with the same exact issue.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I'm having a similar problem with my LG G4 after the update.

I updated my phone in the morning, and used it all day.  Around 6 PM I left the phone on my kitchen counter (not near open flame or water).  When I came back 2 hours later is was on the LG boot screen and the phone was seriously hot.  I pulled the battery to shut it off, waited about 30 seconds and then tried again.  Same thing.  A few hours later, I took the battery out for about 30 minutes and tried it again.  I got past the LG boot screen to the Sprint boot screen, but then it powered off again and went back to the LG boot screen.

I left the battery out of the phone overnight while I slept, and today it's behaving exactly the same.

I have it plugged in, charging, and it's at 53%, so it's not exactly low.  Trying to turn it on produces the same results...  it just hangs at the LG boot screen.

Is this because of the update, or is this the hardware issue that the LG G4 has been having??

GrandMaster

take it into a repair store and let them know there are internal notes about this same issue with the G4..they will need to do some testing on it...you can also contact LG directly..some have had their phones sent in and returned back within a couple days..all depends on how they do it and what they need to do to it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

This should not be marked as the correct answer as it appears this is a known issue at Sprint with this phone...

Journeyman

Thank you, I'll bring it to the Sprint store tonight.

Journeyman

LG G4:

I was the current owner of 5 different LG G4 phone through Verizon before switching back over over Sprint.  This is a manufacturer defect.  Every single LG G4 phone i've owned has gone out on and and the last time it went out before I switch the same problem occurred.  If you had bough the phone within a year the Sprint should sent you a replacement of the LG G4 due to the manufacturer defect.  In all reality though I wouldn't get another G4 if my life depended on it.  Worse phones I've ever owned..

GrandMaster

did you end up getting the replacements from V or from LG? i havent heard of any repeat issues from the ones that LG either replaced or ended up working on...at least not so far anyways.

Journeyman

My G4 continues to reboot after the recent update a few days ago. This sucks, I need a replacement ASAP but the Sprint tech is not in until Monday.

Journeyman

The "answer" from Sprint is not correct!  I'm not sure who marked this as the correct answer, but that does not fix the problem.  Furthermore, it shows that the Sprint technician didn't read the problem, or he would have known that resetting to Factory settings might be the first step in the troubleshooting manual, but this is a hardware issue.

I went into my sprint store, and before I could finish explaining my problem, they replaced my phone.  Apprently they have been getting TONS of these issues with the LG G4.

Fireguy_6364 is correct, Sprint is aware of the issue and will replace your phone for free, on the spot.

Journeyman

I have the same issue with my G4. Saturday night my G4 went out while it was sitting on the table onside. That night I goggled about these issues with the G4 and youtube videos and I see that these phones have been giving issues since last year so Sprint is aware of this factory defect/hardware/motherboard problem. The next day Sunday, I chatted with an online chat rep about the issues and they gave me instructions to bring it a local Sprint chain to get it looked at and hopefully replaced. The local store I went to is soo horrible and service is far from exceptional, but also what was told that theres a backorder on these phones over 300 so they couldn't guarantee when it would be in, maybe 1 week maybe 3.. so I took it another Sprint store 20 mins away and they service was great. The technician explain the same errors with the phone that I already knew about so we both knew that theres no option to fix the phone other than sending it back and getting a replacement but the ETA on arrival is undetermined. My problem is that the type of work I do my cell is need 24/7 to make my revenue and plus kids thats driving to and from work, so with no cell I will be in some bad situations that will cost me until I get a cell ASAP!!! Sprint should award there customers that can't get a replacement or loaner with a 2-3 day timeframe an option to get another style phone and wave additional charges because it's not our fault that this has happen. Now I have lost all types of file documents, pictures, messages and etc. Good luck on your journey with this but don't listen about no hard reboot and all that because it won't work, The phone is trash!!!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat