cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 with Sprint has Facebook preinstalled and unremovable!

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G4 with Sprint has Facebook preinstalled and unremovable!

Talking with support, LG says it's the carriers decision to have it.  Sprint said they'll look into it.  Even the Verizon version does not have Facebook preinstalled and unremovable!

What the hell??  It takes up 108MB!  At the least you are able to disable it...BUT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNINSTALL IT!!  Or better yet, NOT HAVE IT PREINSTALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: LG G4 with Sprint has Facebook preinstalled and unremovable!

Hi. I'm a Sprint employee and Product Ambassador for the LG G4 (and several other Android devices).

The decision was made much higher than my pay grade to pre-install Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Instagram apps on all new Android devices. You are correct in that they can be disabled but not removed. Often such decisions of what is pre-installed (and not) are weighed in light of what most of our customers want from and use their smartphones for on a daily basis. Most of these decisions are based on helping get customers up and running ASAP "out of the box."

I do agree with your sentiment that pre-installed "bloatware" should be user removable if so desired. The customization options of Android are what make Android so fun and personal. I will pass along your displeasure with our app pre-load decisions and hope that with enough outcry the decision will be revisited. For now we are stuck with certain pre-loaded apps.

That said, while other carriers may have chosen to pre-install this or that, or not pre-install the other, we still believe at the end of the day Sprint is offering the best value in nationwide wireless service, with the best service in many markets, with the best line-up of devices and services for our customers. I hope you ultimately feel the same.

We're glad you're a Sprint customer! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

CJ

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Actually I think this is a privacy violation as only the main Facebook app can be disabled. There are two processes that are Facebook related "com.facebook.appmanager" and "com.facebook.system" that are still there and are not able to be disabled. Considering the possibility that Facebook can read my SMS messages, contacts and just about everything else I do, how can you assure me that you are not violating my privacy by transferring my communication, location and activity data to a company that I have not accepted any terms with? Is there someone with Sprint that can answer that? This is the first time I've considered moving away from Sprint. It is highly disappointing that they would align themselves with a disreputable company like Facebook.

Master

I'm sure that Facebook will not read your txt, screen your calls, hear your conversations via phone mic, or get your contacts and GPS location.

All those permissions are used so they can stop while you receive a call, or use your phone's mic and camera if you do a voice or video call via messenger, txt is so they can use the 3G antenna to send the messenger txt, GPS is so you can share the location if you are out for a dinner, concert, etc.

I know many ppl are going crazy about privacy issues, but keep in mind, there is no privacy anymore, if someone wants to hack your computer or your phone, they can do so and no one can stop them. I know that because I have great knowledge about today's network security.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

It's not a matter of Facebook itself, it's the fact I have a 108MB application I CANNOT REMOVE.  That is storage I PAID FOR I should be able to USE FOR MYSELF HOWEVER I CHOOSE.  FACEBOOK IS NOT NEEDED FOR MY PHONE TO FUNCTION!  I've been using android for 5 years since the original Moto Droid 1 so I am not ignorant on how to use my phone and how it works.

Master

Since you have used the androids for so many years, you should know that you have less memory than what it shows. Also you should know that Sprint has "trimmed" on the bloatware they load on the phones.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
GrandMaster

i recommend you pick up a Nexus phone the next time then..fully avoid ALL pre loaded bloatware..then you wont have any worries..this isnt exactly something new theyre doing..heck be happy you can actually disable it..back in the day it was there and you couldnt do ANYTHING about it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

But this is the first phone to have facebook non-removable.  Also like I said it's about STORAGE.  108MB of non-removable storage I should be able to use.

GrandMaster

so force stopped/cache and data cleared THEN disabled still leaves you with 108MB used?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yeah, it still uses 108MB of space AND it still leaves two processes that keep restarting themselves.

Journeyman

yes fireguy_6364 that is correct, the app is still there disabled at 108MB in size.

GrandMaster

i'll bet that the others have something to do with the ability to sync up your contacts etc with the phone itself..or something along those lines.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat