cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lg g4 marshmallow update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Lg g4 marshmallow update

it is the same with every update. This is just a particularly annoying phone, and some of them may be under the recall that was such a secret. The Marshmallow will make them worse, I guarantee it.

Journeyman

Maybe 7 days has always been the norm for YOU, but I've watched others get updates for weeks and weeks before mine came, despite trying to push them through. I see people upset, but this is what I've always had to deal with. I have never until this one -- which about killed my phone - gotten an update the first MONTH it was being rolled out! Ever!

Journeyman

I also got the "Unfortunately, home has stopped" error every 14 seconds with the update. Took it to the store, the guy cursed it a few times, then swapped it for a different phone. It's a 5.1 still, but some of the apps look nothing like they did before OR after Marshmallow update....because mine was one of the "soft recall" phones and now this one is a refurb that has a different photo editor interface, different Quick menu look, several other things that were absolutely up-to-date on my previous phone. THis one is behaving a lot more smoothly and I'm not sure I'll accept the 6.0 update, actually. I think it's become slow to come out because it has ISSUES. Add those issues to the defective devices sold before September 2015 and the phone was almost completely unusable. I had been so happy to get the Marshmallow update on the 22nd -- wasn't expecting it until February.

I had reset the phone afterward, the store messed with it and did similar "fixy" things, then pulled my Zagg off and said "I'm getting you a different phone, this is ridiculous"  He also offered to break my glass protector so I could send it to Zagg and get a free replacement, but I don't do cheating and sneaky things, and he looked embarrassed when I didn't take him up on his offer to make it look broken. Said a lot to me about that employee, if not all of Sprint...

Journeyman

Just got my notification to install update. 01/02/2016 around 11pm central time

Journeyman

922mb download size

Journeyman

Eager to know if you get that "home error" and crashing camera. Hope not...

Journeyman

No errors so far. I really don't notice much of anything that is different

Journeyman

I was the original thread starter here. As we speak my g4 is finally downloading the update. This comes in exactly 17 days after the initial release of the update. In the past I have used samsung, htc, iphone, and nexus phones. Never has it taken this long after an update was released to get the ota notification. This is a first for me by far, which is why I started the thread. Either way; I will keep everyone updated after I get it installed and see what New problems arrive. Hopefully this will be an improvement.

Journeyman

I'm glad you have always been lucky enough to get the update so quickly. I'm sure there are Galaxy threads here with posts of mine throwing a complete fit that everyone was playing with a new update, and I'm sitting around a month or more later, having followed the schedule, waiting for a hint, clearing, pushing, etc. The only person i know to get an update later than me is my husband. (Who also has the G4 now and no indication of it being available.)

If they change the release date from the 17 to the 22, obviously it's for a reason. They change the dates for things all the time.

I always want the latest software, but I had to swap my Marshmallow-updated device a week later, and there IS NO WAY ON EARTH I'm updating this device to Marshmallow until it's stabilized. I hope your experience is different, but it was a maddening week until i practically threw that messed up phone to the store tech, who looked liked he wanted to throw it, too.

He was so busy trying to clear it and make it work that i had to remind him to activate the replacement. It's THAT frustrating, or maybe it was that my phone was one of the defective ones in the first place.

Good luck! But you didn't get it very late compared to my own experience. Samsung once replaced one of their phones because i was almost three months past the scheduled update. Kit kat, maybe? Can't keep the candy updates straight, but they hotswapped me a new phone because the update just wouldn't show up.

I think you've just been awfully lucky, in the past.

Journeyman

Here's the only problem I have with this. Sprint should not be releasing these updates with the promise that all devices will receive it in SEVERAL days. Because it's never true. This situation is proof positive of it. It's very frustrating to customers when they expect to see the update in SEVERAL days but it doesn't actually happen for several weeks or months. All Sprint has to do is one simple thing. Change their wording from "SEVERAL DAYS" to "SEVERAL WEEKS". If they do that they won't have these high expectations and there will be far fewer complaint threads like thesethese and I will never be a complainer. It's a very simple solution.

Oh and by the way still no update here!

Journeyman

After installing the update and rebooting the phone; I immediately did a factory reset. After an hour or so of messing with setting and a few tweaks here and there; the phone actually seems to be the slightest bit snappier. There aren't any cosmetic changes but, in the settings is where it is noticeable. Some of the settings will take some getting used to. Very different than in past iterations of the Android software.

So far I haven't had any errors or issues of any kind. I've already installed my normal list of apps such as Netflix and Hulu and so on. It is possible the reason I haven't had issues is because I did a factory reset afterward which is always recommended after any major software update.

Journeyman

... It seems to me that you have been having one hell of a string of bad luck. I'm sorry about your terrible experiences.

In my experience every phone I have owned within the last 3 to 5 years had been fine with one exception...the Sharp Aquos Crystal. That phone was probably the biggest piece of crap I've ever used. I had 2 in a row to literally brick themselves before I even got to make the first phone call.

I would highly suggest doing a factory reset and keep the phone on Wi-Fi to let it do all of its installs and what-not before customizing it to your personal liking. This should hopefully cut down on the heart ache you've been experiencing.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat