cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lg g4 marshmallow update

Journeyman

Re: Lg g4 marshmallow update

Just wondering who recommends doing a factory reset after an update? Sprint themselves? Or just some of the posters on the forum?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I always do all of those things after an update. I eject my SD card before an update.i prepare for it. I NEVER do update at less than 100% PLUGGED IN, ALWAYS over WiFi. ALWAYS reset the device, which is aggravating to me, because if I had to reset my PC every time it got an update, I'd never have time to do anything else.

It was extremely rare for me to get a timely update on any of the 4 Galaxys I've owned on the release date, and all had an improved experience afterward.

I am hoping that the poor build on the recalled LG phone was part of the problem. It was swapped for this refurbished device, but a new one is coming.

My recalled G4 manufactured May 2015 had a different look from my husband's device that was manufactured after the recalled ones. For example, the Photo Editor of my original phone when on 5.1 looked nothing like his 5.1 G4 Photo Editor, and nothing like the Photo Editor on my current temp refurb 5.1 phone.

My theory is that it's the crummy unstable recalled phones that never were turned in that are taking this 6 update pretty hard.

So those with that "home" error after Marshmallow, check your serial and manufacture date. You probably are due a swap under that recall that Sprint refuses to acknowledge until you show them the internal memo that was posted online.

But, yep, January 3 and no Marshmallow offered here or on my husband's phone. I don't even bother anymore to get upset by it until a month has gone by.

But i agree, they should NOT say it'll be updated in "a few days" when it'll take weeks to roll out. Sets up high expectations and is irritating to people.

I'm hoping the new phone on the way to me is already past that update drama. I'm really tired of trying to force a phone to work. Been struggling with the G4 since August 20th.

Journeyman

Do a Google search it. I originally heard about factory resetting after an update on the xda forums. From what I understand...after a larger software update such as this one there could be residual files left from the former software. A factory reset will clear all the un needed files.

Journeyman

Has anyone had any problems with Gmail not syncing properly after this update?  None of my settings changed but email does not sync unless i manually refresh it in the app.  Extremely annoying.

Journeyman

App permissions changes slightly with marshmallow. A lot of the settings in the menus are changed a bit. Just have to look for it. Personally, I prefer to manually sync my gmail and other apps. Keeps them from running in the back ground.

Journeyman

It killed my whole phone. After installing the update my phone won't boot past the LG welcome screen. I even did a factory reset (which it didn't want to let me do either) and it still won't boot.

Journeyman

I turned on my phone this morning and the update was waiting to be installed.  So, almost 3 weeks from the Dec. 17th supposed release push date.  Sounds about right for an LG update.  I also noticed that the security update was still listed as November (I swear that is what I saw, can't be sure since it was early this morning and I don't have my phone at the moment).  That puts us 2 months behind where we should be with security updates.

Journeyman

Still nothing here...

Journeyman

I got my update overnight.  Install was quick, although it used almost 30% battery to complete.  As of now, I have not done a reset.  Things seem to be running well, although I haven't tried all the apps yet.  The battery drain may be a little faster than before.  Too early to tell for sure.

Journeyman

My new replacement phone arrived yesterday, and at 2 am, after I'd spent hours reconfiguring a new phone, the update showed up. So I was up until 4 am, doing that, too. No stupid "home screen error" messages like my previous 6.0 caused on my recalled device. Seems snappier so far, and battery lasts FOREVER.

Husband's G4 still has seen no indication of update yet. Again, we're accustomed, in this house, to having to wait 4-6 weeks past the date Sprint posts on site. (The actual date, not the date that was posted then changed. I don't ever go by what the cached page says)

Journeyman

If some people are waiting for 4-6 weeks for an update than Sprint's system is really sucky and needs to be overhauled. I think a new system needs to be invented so that everyone can get it the same time. It's unacceptable in my opinion to give the update to some users in 2 or 3 days and make others wait months. Especially when they promose it in just 'several days' to everyone.

Journeyman

*shrug* after years of having a fit about it, I realized someone has to be last,I guess. Used to it.

Oh, and spoke too soon about the update I AM getting the home error messages. Ugh. I swore I wouldn't ruin my pristine new phone with that stupid update, but late-night insanity took me over.

Now, screwed all over again. 12 hours of the decent, non-defective experience, now this. Error every time I leave an app. THANKS, SPRINT.

Time to change carriers...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat