cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stagefright.. Patch?

Journeyman

Stagefright.. Patch?

When Will the lg g4 get our patch for this.. My husband has the samsung note 4 had it over a week ago..have not been prompted yet for update

9 REPLIES 9
GrandMaster

Re: Stagefright.. Patch?

this update is pushed by the manufacturer of the phone..not Sprint. more than likely it will be kicked to you guys/gals with a week or so give or take unless they run into any additional issues..and by they in this case i mean LG.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Incorrect.  Stagefright is an Android update.

1) Google released the update for Stargefright in May

2) LG released the update for Stagefright for LG G4 over a month ago

3) AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all updated their LG-G4's last month

When is Sprint going to deploy the Stagefright fix for the LG-G4?  I've stayed a loyal customer for Sprint for over 9 years but waiting over a month after the other providers have provided a vital security hotfix is unacceptable.

GrandMaster

and Sprint as a carrier would have what power over google or android? nothing..this is all on the manufacturer and google..heck even google can tell you this. you can google it if it will make you feel a bit better..the carrier has very little to do with any phone updates especially this one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

You seriously need to learn how this works.

1) Google updates Android and sends the reference to the phone manufacturers because they customize it for each phone.

2) Phone manufacturers validate patch and make adjustments (if necessary) for each phone and release them to the network providers because they make optimizations for their network.

3) Phone network providers validate patch and make adjustments (if necessary) for their network and release them via OTA update to their customers.

Google has already provided the update

LG has already validated the update and given it to the providers.

AT&T and T-Mobile have both released the update for the G-4 to their customers

Sprint has not.

The update has been available from Google since May and from LG, specifically for the LG G4, since early August.  Sprint is the holdup, not google or LG.

This website gives a good rundown of which providers have released the stagefright update:

LG G4 Android update: latest news - My AppsMy Apps

GrandMaster

the carrier specific parts are the difference between the devices. that would be the part that is messing things up and why they dont get released at exactly the same time...

MROGRS

you have anything to add onto this one?

Journeyman

Yes I know all about how the update process works.  I know that's why it's late.  What I am asking (not of you, but of sprint) is when they expect to have this hotfix out.  They have already released it for a couple other LG phones.

GrandMaster

you can scream until youre blue in the face but you wont get any info until the actual release day or POSSIBLY the day before..thats about it..if it were so easy to just kick them out then the HTC One M9 would have received it well before the M7 wouldnt you think? complications with the update not working on each device once they were tested is the reason its taking longer for certain devices compared to others..nothing more. the hold up is usually the carrier due to testing but in the end its still on the manufacturer to kick it out

another useful search on how exactly they are rolled out and what delays them would be "Why Andriod updates are so slow" by GIZMODO

this update is no different than any other update that is pushed to devices..they all must go through the same routines before they are released. only one that doesnt have to worry about this is the nexus line.

Journeyman

Nobody is "screaming" we are simply asking Sprint when they expect to release it.  Given that their competition already has and that this is a gigantic security flaw it's a legitimate question.

The only one freaking out is you.

GrandMaster

if you say so..for what its worth the other devices that have received it werent fully covered for SF..there had to be yet another update worked on to fix it..so going off that if i were a betting man i would think once the carriers and manufacturers spotted this they had to go back to work yet again on making sure the full fix is pushed rather than having to push 2..the M9 just received their update yesterday..well pushed anyways..which was supposed to be pushed roughly 3 weeks prior to that but it got pulled due to it not being the full patch..

Stagefright fix for LG?? | Verizon Wireless Community

for what its worth im not even seeing the G4 mentioned on the Verizon site..i do however see quite a few people mentioning that the prior update pushed to their devices didnt fully secure their devices.

Verizon Help Please! Stage Fright | Verizon Wireless Community

and one of the bigger ones for a good read

Verizon Help Please! Stage Fright | Verizon Wireless Community

why would i freak out? i got my patch yesterday...from HTC

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat