Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supposedly sim unlocked phone says "invalid sim" with non-Sprint sim

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Supposedly sim unlocked phone says "invalid sim" with non-Sprint sim

Hi All,

I've requested Sprint to apply DSU to my LG G4, and received a email a day later saying that it's successfully done.  I inserted an AT&T sim and it says "invalid sim".  I tried it with T-mobile sim and it says the same thing.  I called Sprint but the customer rep kept saying the phone is unlocked based on their record, and I should seek help from AT&T or T-mobile.  On a side note, I also tried "UICC unlock", but it failed.  Please help.  Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Supposedly sim unlocked phone says "invalid sim" with non-Sprint sim

I'm having the same problem... trying to transfer to an MVNO. Sprint swears phone is unlocked (called them about it 3 times), yet the new SIM card does not work. Phone says "Invalid SIM". It's been 3 days now.

The MVNO says from their end, it looks like the phone is still locked.

I also have a G4

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

elai_sprint and kyledawg92, I'm sorry for the experience you have faced. I'd like you to try the next steps:

1. Make sure the network mode is set to LTE/CDMA. Click here to know how to change network mode.

2. After doing this, connect the phone to Wi-Fi and select "update UICC".

This should do the trick.

Carlos
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you mean "UICC Unlock"? That one tells me "Authentication error. Please try again later."

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Oh sorry, my mistake. The option differs in Lg g4 and it is "UICC Unlock" as you mentioned. This is the step:

1. Tap Home button > Apps > Settings > General tab > System updates > UICC Unlock.

If you tried with Wi-Fi, send me a Private message to assist you further. Click on my name and select "send a message".

Carlos
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hi Carlos,

I talked to the tech support team after my original post, and she said the phone needs to be deactivated from Sprint first before a non-Sprint sim can be inserted.  So I did that night and tried.  Still "INVALID SIM".  I tried UICC unlock, and it says "cannot be completed".

I just saw your post and did as you suggested.  UICC unlock gave me the same reply as kyledawg92: "AUTHENTICATION ERROR".

Please suggest other ways to possibly unlock this.  I'll send a PM to you as well.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Sorry I clicked too fast.  This issue is still not resolved.  Please revert.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please help. After update on ZVI, my phone says "invalid sim" .UICC unlock not working, AUTHENTICATION ERROR

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Mine still shows invalid sim.  I kind of gave up.  Please let me know if anybody has any suggestion.  Thanks.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

either its still not fully unlocked OR the other carrier needs to add it to their database. which carrier are you trying to add it to?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I've tried both AT&T sim and T-mobile sim.  None worked.  I don't think the phone needs to be added to either database.  Given that, I believe the phone is not fully unlocked, and Sprint has no idea how to fix it.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you let one of the agents in here unlock it..or at least they can double check to see if its unlocked..and odds are the other carrier will need to add it into their database..same as if you were switching from another carrier to Sprint and bringing your old phone..they must add it in since it has never been on their network.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat