cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compatibility patch

Go to solution
Journeyman

compatibility patch

Has anyone else see a 'Compatibility Patch' show up in their notification bar? I'm trying to find information about it and I cannot find anything on Sprint's or LG's website, everything looks like it's up to date already.

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Sprint Social Care

Re: compatibility patch

nick0000

Thank you for reaching out to us. That update comes directly from LG. What happen when you try to tap on it? Let us know, we are here to help!

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

When I click the notification, App Updates lists it as: Compatibility patch version 20160809 148 KB. I'm just curious about it because I don't see any information about this or what it is.

Sprint Social Care

nick0000

For what I can see online, this patch might be related to the Boot loop issues with the new LG devices. Are you able to see the description of the update?

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yes, sorry I left that out in my last post. The description reads the following: "This patch helps to avoid compatibility problems that may occur with apps."

I did see that people were having issues with boot loops, but most of them seemed to have issues after the update. That makes me a little leery to do these updates. I just wish that vendors would post what they are to the public, otherwise they can look suspicious.

Sprint Social Care

nick0000

Well, this is just compatibility patch and not a software update. You might found some issues with some apps if the patch is not install. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Jeffrey

Sprint Social Care

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I am concerned about the "compatibility patch" notice I'm getting on my Sprint LG G4.

I communicated with LG about this and their technical support agent said the patch is definitely not from LG and that I should call my carrier, Sprint to see if it's something Sprint is sending to my phone. The agent told me that the carriers (e.g., Sprint) handle support for end users of LG phones. I called the Sprint Store in Pleasanton, California today and was told they've never heard of this patch. Furthermore, I was told that it is probably a virus or malware. I have read various stories on the net about how LG phones go bad after this patch is installed. Plus, there's no notification from LG or Sprint about this patch and you can't find it on any history or log of updates and/or patches posted on LG's or Sprints' websites. It's like a total mystery.  

So how sure are you that LG sent this compatibility patch version 20160809? Do you have any evidence from LG or Sprint (like an email, PDF, update report, etc.) that this is in fact an LG patch and not some malware?  LG told me point blank they have no idea what it is. There is of course the possibility that the agent I spoke with at LG was negligently ignorant about this, as sometimes happens when employees come in late and miss the briefing or forget to read the memo about the TPS reports (think Office Space).

I haven't installed the patch yet because it's unidentified. I don't really want to install it because I've never had any boot loop problems with the LG G4. Could you please escalate this issue? If the patch is legit, there is no excuse for its failure to identify its sender.

Best Regards,

David Floren

Screenshot attached, showing what compatibility patch notification looks like on LG G4.

GrandMaster

contact google. the update numbers you gave arent even a LG type. plus it mentions apps and nothing else..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

i did a quick google search for those numbers and over at a unmentionable site there are quite a few people talking about it over there but nothing concrete...what i am seeing however is every person talking about it has a LG phone. i also did a quick sprint search though the site itself and this is the only mention of it..in this thread only.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Product Ambassador

We are looking into this with LG.  Our Product team is not familiar with the patch and our LG PM is also not familiar with it.  The LG PM is looking into this on their side with LG R&D in Korea but that may take a bit of time to nail down.   As of now we have no information to support this is a legitimate patch and encourage you to not download or install it until we know more.  I will follow up once I have solid word back from LG on this.  Stand by and thanks for posting this issue on Community.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hi nick0000 -

LG has confirmed that this patch is legitimate so please feel free to download it.  It is not malware.

The patch is necessary to prepare the device for future software updates.

Thanks.

GrandMaster

much appreciated PAOG

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat