cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High End Battery Exchange - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Some of actively use our phones. Some of us heavily use our phones. Some of us flat out abuse our phones. Lastly, some just stay tethered to a charger 24/7.

It's ok. I understand. It seems LG also understands. The LG G5 seems to be only current high end device that has a removable, aka replaceable, battery. I understand why most OEM's no longer bother with removable batteries. Making the battery removable tends to add bulk to the phone and doesn't allow you to use a unibody design. Thankfully, LG took a different approach with the LG G5. The LG G5 battery can be removed in such a manner that the rest of the phone can still use a unibody. Even better, the extra complexity doesn't add any bulk to the phone!

(A quick note to those who have had a hard time removing the battery on the LG G5, one of my colleagues wrote an article just about that here.)

But Ivan, some will say, I have quick charging, why would I care if my battery is removable or not?

Let me paint the following picture:

You are out camping. Oh, the great outdoors: fresh air, no TV, no people (except your family), cooking over an open fire. It's great. The moon and the stars light your nightly strolls, a campfire lights your camp (notice I didn't say warms your camp? I'm in Florida. I don't need nor want more warmth that I already have. lol) Three days in, you realized that you forgot to reschedule your doctor's appointment and they charge you if you are a no-show. The problem is, you used up all your battery. All three days, you spent a good amount of time looking up ghost stories to tell the kids at night. Yesterday, your sibling called you to say hight and talked to you for 3 hours. You didn't have the heart to tell them that you were out camping and couldn't talk just then. The doctor's office closes in 5 minutes and if you don't call now, you will get charged for the appointment. You can go and walk to the car and charge your phone but that will take more than 5 minutes. The walk to the car alone will take 10 minutes.

With the LG G5, you can just remove the dead battery and pop in a charged battery (provided you packed one for the trip.) Pop the new battery in, boot up the phone, and you may be able to get that call in right before the doctor's offices close.

Sometimes having an extra battery is just convenient. Note, that some people also just carry portable battery banks to charge their phones but I find that popping in an instant full battery beats having to have a dongle plugged into and dangling off my phone.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity sprintemployee