cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 Audio Quality

Sprint Product Ambassador

G5 photo.png

G5 logo.png

The LG has many features that are immediately impressive or that jump out as unique.  The all-metal body with a removable battery, two rear cameras, beautiful black levels on the display without the use of OLED, the list goes on and on.

It's the little things though that are surprising me and drawing me towards this phone. One in particular is the sound quality of both the internal speaker and the built-in headphone amplifier.IMGP4518.JPG

The speaker is positioned right next to the USB jack.

The sound that comes out of this tiny speaker surprises me often.  It's deep and rich, yet still clear and intelligible.

IMGP4519.JPG

Naturally, I wouldn't choose to use it to listen to music for long periods of time, but it's more than adequate for an occasional YouTube video, even in noisy environments.

My default sound notification for text messages is called "Ice Cube", and with the quality of this little speaker, it sounds just like a couple of melting ice cubes slowly melting and shifting in a glass tumbler.  I'm not the only one who has repeatedly turned to look for the frosty glass making this sound whenever I get a message.

The headphone amp sounds clean and quiet.  It doesn't get as loud as other smartphones headphone amps I've heard, but it is the quietest in terms of noise and distortion.  Music sounds natural and engaging and is presented with convincing imaging.  Bass is full but never muddy; treble is crisp yet never shrill.  I find myself getting into the music and not thinking about the phone or headphones, which is the way it should be.

IMGP4526.JPG

Also of note is how satisfying the construction quality of the headphone jack is.  Headphones are firmly connected and have an accordingly tight electrical connection.  It takes a little more effort than normal to remove headphones or a headset, but you are rewarded with an absolutely noise free connection for your labor.

LG has an even better external digital audio converter and headphone amp coming out soon that will take advantage of the G5's modular design.  It's called the "LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play".  Say that five times faster.  It was designed in partnership with Bang and Olufsen of Denmark.  Hearing how nice the amp is that comes with the phone, I'd really like to hear this add-on module when it's released.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee