cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 - Quick Charging - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey again, everyone!

It's that time again for another blog on the outstanding LG G5!  This time, we'll discuss Quick Charge and how it works on the LG G5.

What is Quick Charge?

Quick Charge is a Qualcomm platform that allows users to rapidly charge devices in a short amount of time.  You may have seen videos or advertisements on devices that indicate something like "go from 0% to 50% in about 40 minutes."  Quick Charge is a convenient option for many people, especially when the battery is critically low and more power is needed for the last hurrah of the day. 

Quick Charge 2.0, which you can read more about here, enables roughly 2x charging speeds for supported devices.  It is connector-dependent, meaning you just need a compatible device and a compatible charger.  The USB cable utilize should not impact QC2.0.

As advancements in technology improve and demand for faster charging rates increases, a new solution is necessary.  This is where Quick Charge 3.0 comes in, and is what the LG G5 is compatible with. Instead of the 2x charging speeds as typically provided by QC2.0, QC3.0 offers speeds up to FOUR TIMES faster than traditional charging.  For example, the LG G5 can reach up to about 80% battery life in about 35 minutes (As long as certain conditions are met such as noted later on).

The ability to go from 0% - 80% in just over a half hour is invaluable!  QC 3.0 would come in in a pinch when you are heading out with friends after work and need your phone.  Simply connect the device to a compatible charger and you'll be ready to roll in no time.  This particular feature has helped me when I forgot to plug my phone into the charger overnight.  I woke up with about 10% battery and was in dire need of a fully, or near fully-charged device.  I was able to connect it to my QC 3.0 compatible charger, and I was able to achieve near-full battery life shortly thereafter.

Another benefit of QC 3.0 is the its ability to intelligently determine exactly how much power is needed to charge the phone efficiently, without negatively impacting battery longevity or causing issues with battery or device stability.  QC allows for that quick charging in about 35 minutes, and will transition into more of a traditional charging method until the device reaches 100 percent.  According to Qualcomm, "Quick Charge is engineered to deliver only the power needed for the device it's charging" (Source: HERE). 

As you can see, QC 3.0 really is a life saver, and provides significant benefits to individuals who are very active on their devices.  Smartphone batteries are continuing to increase in capacity (3,200+ mAh), but this does not always provide sufficient "time" to utilize the device throughout the day. We want to use our phones from the time we wake up, until the time we go to bed without the need to be tied to a charger for hours and hours.  QC 3.0, and even 2.0, helps to reduce this wasted time, by allowing you to get on with your day faster, without sacrificing battery life. 

The LG G5 is QC3.0 compliant, and comes with a QC3.0 charging adapter in the box.  This will provide the best charging solution for your device.  Perhaps you have some Samsung or older LG adapters that are QC2.0 compliant; you can use these as well, but charging will be completed at a slightly slower rate than the stock QC3.0 charging adapter in the box for the LG G5. 

Here?s the QC 3.0 adapter found in the LG G5 box:

OEM_G5_Charger.jpg 

Fast Charging Limitations and education

It is important to note how the LG G5 utilizes the QC3.0 technology to maximize charging speed without negatively impacting the performance of the device.  You may have noticed, or may notice if you have yet to purchase a LG G5, that it may not always charge quickly when connected to a quick charger.  Why is that? Remember the intelligent charging abilities of QC3.0?  That's what comes into play when you notice the charging speed is not exactly what you had anticipated.  Here are some items that impact Quick Charging:

• Non-QC3.0 compliant Charging Adapter
  • Non-QC2.0 compliant Charging Adapter
  • Faulty Charging Adapter
  • USB Cable not fully inserted into the device or to the charging adapter
  • The internal temperature of the device reaches a pre-programmed threshold that reduces charging speed (Charging phone when screen is on when watching videos or playing graphic-intensive games or if left in a spot with direct sunlight)
  • The fixed voltage level has been reached, and the intelligent charging ability of the device has slowed charging as it works to 100%
  • The display is turned on while charging

It seems like a lot to remember to ensure QC3.0 is working, but it really isn't.  If you want to maximize the charging ability of QC3.0, simply leave the screen turned off (if able) and out of direct sunlight where the device is likely to heat up.

Lastly, how do you know if you're utilizing a QC-compatible charging adapter?  Well, as you can see in the image above, LG labels the adapter with "Fast Charge" and Samsung shows "Adaptive Fast Charging."  You may find chargers that do not have as clear of labeling, but are still compliant.  So, your device will indicate whether you're regular or fast charging, although it will not differentiate between 2.0 and 3.0, at least not visually.

In the status bar, you can see the differences between charging and quick charging on the battery icon in the upper right.  Additionally, the notification tray will indicate charging or fast charging.  Keep in mind that although it may show it is fast charging, it may not be if the conditions above are preventing QC capabilities. 

Regular charging:

Regular_Charging.png

Quick Charging:

Quick_Charging.png

Quick_Charging_Tray.png

Once you've used QC3.0, and even 2.0, it is ridiculously hard to go back to a "traditional" charger that provides significantly slower charging speeds.  I have upgraded every charger in my home and vehicles to a QC2.0 or QC3.0 compliant adapter because I simply cannot live without the technology and the ability to quickly charge my phone!

Have you used Quick Charge? How has Quick Charge helped you on your LG G5? 

Interested in some additional reading on Qualcomm Quick Charge?  Here are some links with great information/videos:

Quick Charge 3.0 (Qualcomm): https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

Quick Charge 2.0 (Qualcomm): https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2015/06/30/qualcomm-quick-charge-20-technology-explained

Quick Charge FAQ (Qualcomm): https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge/faq

What is Qualcomm Quick Charge (Android Central): http://www.androidcentral.com/what-qualcomm-quick-charge

Until next time!

~ Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

12 Comments