cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 Speed - A phone that just works

Sprint Product Ambassador

G5 photo.pngG5 logo.pngEvery new smartphone is fast.  That is, they are fast at first, until you actually start using them and filling them up with apps, photos and music.  Then they start to lag.  Then you start counting the days until your phone contract is up so you can finally get a faster phone.  You just want to use your phone.  You just want it to work.

I've been using the LG G5 for several weeks now and have put it through some torture tests.  I'll be totally frank here; the LG G5 doesn't support installing apps to the SD card.  I use a lot of apps, and have always installed as many as I could to SD. I anticipated that I would have a problem with both space and speed with this new device.

First of all, I tried my hardest to give the G5 an unfair disadvantage.  I installed as many apps that I could possibly need into its 32GB of storage.  I installed apps that I likely wouldn't be using.  I installed apps that I've accumulated over the years from Amazon's free app of the day program.  When I was done installing every app under the sun, I started installing music and eBooks. Then I installed multiple e-reading apps.  In short, I tried to sabotage my new phone.

I had several games open.  I had social media apps open.  I had company email open.  The camera app always seemed to be running in the background as did Snapseed and Perfectly Clear.  At some times, I had Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and Moon+ Reader Pro all running at the same time. I had Chrome and Opera duking it out. In Opera's case, I had nearly 100 tabs running.  I had LG's Quick Remote, Peel Smart Remote, Android TV Remote, Google Cast and Tablo all running simultaneously.  Every single photo I take is automatically backed up to Google Photo, Flickr, and Amazon's cloud.

At one time, I had LG Health, Samsung's S Health, and Google Fit all fighting for contention of my pedometer.

Here's what happened.

Nothing.

Or, more accurately, nothing bad. Because everything happened, just as it should have, right when it should have.  The phone never hiccupped.  Not once. It just took everything I threw at it and kept chugging along.

So, I changed the battery saver on to slow the CPU down.  The Game Optimizer was never even turned off, so video setting having even been cranked up to max yet.Screenshot_2016-06-09-12-26-37.png

The phone still works fine. Yeah, the screen is a bit dimmer with battery saver on, but all my superfluous apps just run. (I did uninstall Google Fit and S Health and am just relying on LG Health at this point.)

So, yeah, it doesn't let you move apps to an SD card.  That is 100% true, and something that I really thought would matter.  It doesn't.  Not at all.

You can still have all your photos, videos, music, and eBooks saved to SD.  That works brilliantly, and is probably a good design feature.  Not all SD are created equally.  Even if they have the same specs printed on the label, they won't perform the same.  Some brand will disappoint you.  Some will utterly fail you.  There are only three brands that I personally trust. 

Put yourself in LG's shoes for a moment.  They first engineer and then build a great phone.  It's smoking fast and has tons of memory.  A customer buy the cheapest SD card they can afford and start installing apps to it.  Apps that they use everyday and depend on.  The SD card might be slower than the memory built into the phone.  Maybe SD card starts to fail.  The customer doesn't realize this is the culprit.  From the customer's perspective, their new phone isn't working the way it should.  They just want it to work, and it's not. Suddenly, a phone isn't performing as designed and it's 100% out of the hands of the manufacturer.  By restricting what can and can't be put on the SD card, LG has ensured that this phone will work great for every single one of their customers.

You won't find any benchmark test results here because you can find those all over the Internet but also because they are boring and meaningless at this point.  Seriously.  This phone is really fast and it has enough memory capacity.  I'm sure the G5 beats many phones on benchmark tests, and there might even be one or two that beat it.  It doesn't matter in the real world.  This phone just runs like a champ all the time. 

It just works.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee