cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Calling on the LG G5

Sprint Product Ambassador

By now, all LG G5 owners should have received an OTA, (Over The Air), update to the Android operating system that fully allows voice phone calls over Wi-Fi networks.  The feature, known as "Wi-Fi Calling" is not new to Sprint phones, but is one worth checking out.

This feature allows you to make normal voice phone calls when you are in areas without traditional cell tower coverage, for instance, inside some stores or shopping malls, or even on an airplane or train.  You can make a phone call using this feature anywhere you can get a Wi-Fi signal.  (Be sure to follow all instructions from airline personnel regarding electronic devices on airplanes.)

You can set it upScreenshot_2016-06-02-10-04-14.png from the setting menu, or from one of the icons on the notification panel.

Screenshot_2016-06-02-10-04-26.png

Voice calls and SMS messages never count against your minutes, so talk all and text all you want. If you are on a plan with limited voice and messaging, and you have a reliable Wi-Fi signal in your home, then by all means try it out.  Voice quality is dependent on both the strength of your Wi-Fi signal, and of the amount of internet bandwidth you have available.

There are a few countries where Wi-Fi calling is not supported, so be sure to check http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-468... before using abroad. 

There are over two-hundred countries that support it, so this can be a real money saver.  Let's say you are traveling abroad and want to make a phone call back to the United States. You could get an international calling plan, (and really, it's probably a good idea to get one as they can save you money in the long run), or, assuming you have a strong Wi-Fi signal with enough bandwidth, you can turn on Wi-Fi calling on your G5 then make your call back to the United States.  In this scenario, the call won't cost you anything or go against your plan's minutes. In fact, using Wi-Fi calling for voice or SMS messaging never goes against your minutes.  Of course, making a phone call to an international destination could result in international charges even if you are physically in the country you are making the phone call to.  Your phone will act as if it is still in the United States, or its territories. I'm not an official spokesperson for Sprint, so really, check out the FAQ at the URL listed above before using abroad.

Here you can add the Wi-Fi calling icon to your notification panel, but you'll have to choose which icon it will replace.Screenshot_2016-06-02-10-13-30-arrow.png  Screenshot_2016-06-02-10-13-30.png

I have found it a useful feature when in a big box stores that inherently block cell phone coverage, particularly when I get further back in the store.  My wife and I can both connect to the store's Wi-Fi network as soon as we enter, then turn Wi-Fi Calling on.  Now we can text or call each other when we get separated in the store, which happens a lot.

It is worth noting that Google Voice is not compatible with Wi-Fi Calling.  If you are a Google Voice user, you will deactivate Google Voice on your G5 if you activate Wi-Fi calling.  Google Voice may be re-enabled only after Wi-Fi calling has been both turned off and then de-activated.Screenshot_2016-06-02-10-04-37.png

While I find that Wi-Fi Calling is a welcome and useful feature, I also strongly recommend that you read the FAQs at http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-468...

And at http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=sprint_wi_fi_calling&catId=serv... .

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee