cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5

0 Comments

After several weeks using the LG G5, except the flat UI which took me a while to arrange all my apps and screens, I must say that I get to get used to using the LG G5 and feel very comfortable holding it and to be part of my all day activities.

Here are the list of things that I think it is a big plus on the LG G5: 

• The display is crisp and clear, very easy to read
  • Battery life is great, for my use it is almost a 4pm or 5pm device, most other devices I had barely lasted until 2-3pm
  • The wide angle camera, very handy for landscape shots.  In fact, I wish I had the camera when I visited Horseshoe Bend in Arizona
  • The power and finger scanning button in the back of the camera, which makes it very easy to use. It took a little time to get used to, but once I got over the initial hump, I found it is q very good idea indeed.
  • Powerful processor, all operations are very smooth, no lagging experience although I load up the phones with all different apps.
  • The built in speakers are very good, I tend to listen to most music via the phone speakers

There are a few things that I think LG can improve o: 

• Like previously stated, I found a bit disappointed with the flat UI.  Hope LG can produce an update to include an android style UI
  • Low light image quality is not that great and hopefully LG can fix it in future software release

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Capture.PNGA few months ago I received my LG G5 and could not wait to activate it. One of the first things I noticed after going through setup process was LG removed the App Drawer leaving all my apps across multiple pages. I really did not like this at all and went looking for a 3rd party app drawer through Google Play and ended up using the App Drawer LG had available through their download site. I have more information on App Drawer here How to add LG G5 App Drawer. The app drawer missing was pretty big to me, although it was an easy fix.

I had one more thing that bothered me about the G5 that I had grown use to with previous LG G series models. Starting with the LG G2, LG had both the power button and volume rockers on the back of the phone. I found the volume rocker buttons on the back really convenient and more natural feeling than on either side of the phone. This change though was for the better because LG added a fingerprint sensor and changed how the battery is placed in the phone. After using the phone for awhile I found that I did not really use the volume controls as much as I do the fingerprint sensor. Fingerprint sensors on other phones are not as convenient as the one with G5 and it is fun to play with my daughter with the sensor on the back. My daughter thought it was a magic trick turning my screen on & off without touching anything on the phone other than the back of it. After letting her try several times I showed her how I was able to turn my screen on and off like that and she loved it.... Setting up fingerprint security is very easy with details in another blog posted here Secure the LG G5 with Fingerprint lock & backup PIN. Knowing that my phone is now secured in case it is lost or stolen makes me feel better since it used for work and personal use.

IMG_2016-07-11-142236311.png

Two months later and I still have not gotten much further in the Android Marshmallow hidden game How to access hidden Marshmallow game on LG G5. I do play other games on my G5 like Game of War, Candy Crush, Slither.io (daughter loves it) and of course the latest craze Pokemon Go. Our favorite stop now is the library and shopping center to visit PokeStops. I have only been playing Pokemon on my G5 for a couple of weeks now... my wife likes capturing Pokemon on my phone while I am driving. I have been really impressed with the G5 removable 2800 mAh Lithium Ion modular battery.

g5 gunmetal.jpgMy Spigen Slim Armor case has saved my LG G5 several times over the last couple of months getting out of my truck, handing my phone to my daughter to play with and several other accidental drops. Other than the protection Spigen cases provide, the built in kickstand is one of my favorite features of the case. I have more information on Spigen cases and where to pick one up here Spigen Military Grade protection on my LG G5: Sprint Product Ambassadors. Not every case is the same and I want to keep my G5 around in one piece and not multiple pieces from dropping it. Spigen did a great job of making sure the fingerprint sensor, 16 MP Rear facing camera + 8 MP wide angle lens camera and other features are not blocked in anyway. I have seen some cheap cases that interfere with phone functioning correctly.

One of the things that makes the LG G5 unique is that the phone is modular phone. I added a LG Cam Plus to my G5 and really enjoyed using it. The only downside of using the Cam Plus is a different case is needed to protect the phone from accidental drops. I never dropped my G5 while I had my Cam Plus attached, although I was worried about dropping it.

Adding the Cam Plus is easy and I posted a blog on that here How to add the Cam Plus to a LG G5. The part most are uncomfortable with is removing the battery. The Cam Plus really makes taking pictures easier using the wheel to take advantage of both lens on the phone. I was able to take some great pictures on a business trip last week to Sprint HQ.

20160714_134204_HDR.jpg

I have not missed my other phone at all since swapping to my LG G5 and I really liked my other phone with the larger screen. The downside is it did not have a microSD card slot and 32GB of storage is not much these days with larger cameras, documents and other things I use on my phone. I have recommended the LG G5 to my family and friends several times already.

For more information on the LG G5, please visit https://www.sprint.com/landings/lg-g5/index.html.

Thanks,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Hey everyone!

(If images appear compressed on mobile long-press and open images in new tab/window to see full image)

I wanted to close out my blog series on the LG G5 with one on a protective case that I utilized over the last six weeks.  I am an avid proponent of utilizing a case with devices for numerous reasons 

1. Your phone costs $500+ in most cases, it deserves to be protected and in like-new condition
  2. It protects the screen from cracks if dropped
  3. It can make your device look and feel better
  4. It prevents a trip to a Sprint store for repair services because your phone is broken/non-functional (in many cases)

I was able to utilize the Ultra Hybrid Air Cushion (clear) case with my LG G5 over the last six weeks, and it really helped out more than I anticipated.  It was a great case for the most part, but it did have its shortcomings, which I will discuss.

I liked the case because it did not obstruct my device visibility.  I was able to see the color of the device and the metal frame in all of its glory through the clear case.  This is great because I typically choose a device color to have it show, not for it to be hidden.  Additionally, it fit snugly to my device and did not add very much thickness or weight to the device ? This is a must because thick cases add bulk and weight that can become bothersome.

The case protected my phone from numerous falls over the last six weeks.  I found times where I thought I inserted the phone in my pocket only to realize it missed it entirely and fell to the ground.  The UH Air Cushion case has reinforced corners that provide additional cushion when the device falls ? this is exactly why my device did not succumb to injury after falling numerous times.  I did drop the device face-down once, but Spigen thought about this as well and incorporated slightly raised edges around the phone display so that it helps keep the screen protected. 

Here are some images of the case on my LG G5:

IMAG0501.jpgIMAG0503.jpgIMAG0504.jpgIMAG0506.jpg 

Now time for what I didn?t like?

I utilize a Spigen Vent Mount to hold my device to my vents in my vehicle.  It utilizes a metal plate either adhered to the back of a device (without a case) or inserted into a Spigen case to connect to the magnetic vent mount.  Unfortunately, the metal plate that I utilized severely scratched the inside of the case due to movement.  I have multiple scuff marks on the inside of the case from the metal plate.  I should note that this is not necessarily a design flaw, but rather stubborn decision-making on my end.  Spigen suggests that the metal plate is adhered to the back of the phone with included adhesive tape; however, I personally opt to not adhere to my device to keep it clean and to allow the ESN to be accessed easily.  Therefore, since I did not adhere the metal plate to my device, it was able to move and cause the scuffs on the inside of the UH Air Cushion case.

The other issue that many case manufacturers have not taken into account is the headset jack opening.  I utilize headphones that have a fairly large connector on the 3.5mm jack.  I use my ATH-M50 headset with my devices, which includes a fairly large 3.5mm jack; however, this case and many others do not accommodate for this size of a plug.  The plug is unable to be fully inserted because the hole on the case is not large enough, therefore disallowing me to use the headset.  This is a problem throughout numerous case manufacturers and not specifically a Spigen problem; however, I would really love it if Spigen could enlarge the hold near the headset jack just slightly to accommodate for larger plug adapters?

Here you can see that it is unable to be fully inserted:

IMAG0508.jpg
Overall, I would absolutely recommend this case, even with its shortcomings.  The shortcomings are more of a personal issue and not a problem with the case itself.  If you want to maximize usage of your LG G5 and protect it from bumps, scrapes and scratches, then the Ultra Hybrid Air Cushion (clear) case is a must.  Investing in this case is an inexpensive solution to a potentially expensive problem if the device was broken from a fall.  Your phone loves you and you love it, make sure you invest in its protection!

Until next time!

~Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Some of actively use our phones. Some of us heavily use our phones. Some of us flat out abuse our phones. Lastly, some just stay tethered to a charger 24/7.

It's ok. I understand. It seems LG also understands. The LG G5 seems to be only current high end device that has a removable, aka replaceable, battery. I understand why most OEM's no longer bother with removable batteries. Making the battery removable tends to add bulk to the phone and doesn't allow you to use a unibody design. Thankfully, LG took a different approach with the LG G5. The LG G5 battery can be removed in such a manner that the rest of the phone can still use a unibody. Even better, the extra complexity doesn't add any bulk to the phone!

(A quick note to those who have had a hard time removing the battery on the LG G5, one of my colleagues wrote an article just about that here.)

But Ivan, some will say, I have quick charging, why would I care if my battery is removable or not?

Let me paint the following picture:

You are out camping. Oh, the great outdoors: fresh air, no TV, no people (except your family), cooking over an open fire. It's great. The moon and the stars light your nightly strolls, a campfire lights your camp (notice I didn't say warms your camp? I'm in Florida. I don't need nor want more warmth that I already have. lol) Three days in, you realized that you forgot to reschedule your doctor's appointment and they charge you if you are a no-show. The problem is, you used up all your battery. All three days, you spent a good amount of time looking up ghost stories to tell the kids at night. Yesterday, your sibling called you to say hight and talked to you for 3 hours. You didn't have the heart to tell them that you were out camping and couldn't talk just then. The doctor's office closes in 5 minutes and if you don't call now, you will get charged for the appointment. You can go and walk to the car and charge your phone but that will take more than 5 minutes. The walk to the car alone will take 10 minutes.

With the LG G5, you can just remove the dead battery and pop in a charged battery (provided you packed one for the trip.) Pop the new battery in, boot up the phone, and you may be able to get that call in right before the doctor's offices close.

Sometimes having an extra battery is just convenient. Note, that some people also just carry portable battery banks to charge their phones but I find that popping in an instant full battery beats having to have a dongle plugged into and dangling off my phone.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity sprintemployee

0 Comments

You must have seen spec sheets and others talking about the LG G5 is having a USB-C port.  Some of you may yell oh no, I need to get another set of spare USB-C spare cables to charge my new LG G5 device.  You are correct, these cables are more expensive than the normal micro-USB cables that you can buy today too.  Eventually in a few years, maybe all devices except one brand will come with USB-C., but that may be one or two years away.

For me, the expense on this new cable is well justified. Firstly, USB-C is a twenty pin connector so the cable is a much more high quality cable. It carries more ampere hence your phone charging time is faster.  I have not measured the actual time, but I know that my phone charging time is a lot shorter, maybe that will be the next set of tests that I should conduct.

The more obvious advantage is the speed of transfer a files between the phone and your laptop connected via the USB-C cable.

So I took out my old Samsung Galaxy Note Edge.  I put same type of micro-SD card on each phone.  I tries to copy a 290MB file from my laptop to the Note Edge and the G5 one at a time and use the stop watch to measure the elapse time:

For Note Edge = 43.9s

For G5 = 19.6s

56% less time on the G5.

It is a lot quicker for me to copy all that music that I have onto the phone!

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

gsmarena_004.jpg

(source)

Bob Ross used to say that every happy tree or happy cloud needed a friend, and LG seems to think

he was on to something. LG has introduced several accessories for the new LG G5, some of which

specifically take advantage of the modular bottom. Not only does the phone offer the ability to swap

out your battery, but you can also add an extended battery module that makes the LG G5 the best

camera phone to date. It allows the user to adjust the zoom manually and more accurately than

using the traditional on-screen approach. The extended battery allows for additional hours of snapping

pictures or recording your favorite vacation moments.

lg-cam-plus-camera-module.jpg

(source)

LG Also offers another neat "friends" for the G5 called the LG Rolling Bot. Think BB8 meets Eva from

Wall-e, with only the round part, and that's it! Ok, lasers aren't going to come of it (although it does have

a laser pointer), and it's not going to five you a thumbs up with a mini torch, but it does have a built in

camera, speaker, IR sensor and microphone, and it is all controlled via the phone app. It's also a

great tool to use for security monitoring since it allows you to check on it remotely as long as it is

connected to your home Wi-Fi network.

lg-rolling-bot-1036-003.jpg

(source)

These are only 2 friends, with several more available, including a camera, VR headset, and headphones,

but there are many more to come. You can view more information on them by clicking here.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

For those of us who like to take pano photos, the LG G5 may help you to just to take one shot photo instead of having to scan for a pano shot. Like I previously posted, the LG G5 is equipped with two cameras:

20160516_143632.jpg

On the back of the camera, you can see two lens: the main camera is a 16MP with 78o angle, and the other camera is 8MP with wide angle (135 o) lens. You can select a normal or wide angle shot when taking a photo, a wide angle shot may help you not having to do a pano in most situations.

When you start the camera, there are two icons on the main screen for you to select the main camera or the wide angle one shown in the red box in the screenshot below. The single tree green icon is for normal angle ( 78o), and the multiple tree icon is for wide angle.

Capture+_2016-06-07-18-26-58.png

Below are one normal and one wide angle shot for illustration:

20160601_201408.jpg

Normal shot

20160601_201415_HDR.jpg

Wide angle shot

Be carefull! I even caught my thumb on the shot!

You can see that the wide angle shot has that usual Fish-eye effect. I wish I had this LG G5 to take the photo of the Horseshoe Bend in the Grand Canyon area!

So next time when you are outside, or at a party in a more confined space, you may want to try this wide angle shot from your favorite LG G5 phone.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

0 Comments

Love for LG G5 Runs Deep: Overall Final Impression - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, I remember my first LG Phone.  I think it was a pretty basic flip phone, had a super bright screen, a loud ringer and good signal wherever I went.  Remember when that was all that mattered with a cell phone?  Well times have changed and I’m happy to say LG has always changed with the times.  I got reintroduced to LG with the LG G2 and from there, LG has honestly become a love affair with me.  I’ve had almost all of the LG Phones to date (from the mid-tier devices to the flagships phones) and find each device a little better than the last.

The LG G5 is certainly my favorite flagship to date.  Building on the things I loved about the LG G4, the G5 returns with a simply stunning camera.  You just can’t beat it for super close ups and I find it almost vital for my needs. With the LG G5 however, you kinda have the best of both worlds as this year gives introduction to LG’s wide angle lens. Already a fan of a Go Pro, the wide angle lens is quickly becoming more and more welcomed in my daily life.  I’m super pleased to see LG integrated a wide angle on the G5, and think it’s pretty unique at this stage of the game. For shutterbugs that love a giant toolbox of options, rest assured, LG has you covered. If you are a little more casual with photo taking, only a “fun-saver” disposable could ever been easier. I love the fact that my videos look good and (almost as importantly) sound good in all kinds of light and all kinds of sound environments.  You’re at a loud concert?  No problem. Soft Family get together?  No problem.

1.jpg

I think one of the only consumer complaints I remember about the LG G4 was the absence of a biometric fingerprint reader.  To be fair it was released at the brink of their introduction but rest assured the LG G5 has a fingerprint reader and it works excellent. Having one obviously opens a whole new world of possibilities.  Although I haven’t played with Android Pay, it’s there and ready to use. I can only imagine the added security and authentication will become more common to apps and pleased to see LG always pointed toward the direction of progress.

Speaking of progress, the LG G5 and the “friends” thereof are certainly temptations that make your phone excel beyond the single device and become more like a full extension of your world (as a whole).  With the already available modules, you can unlock 360 degrees of beauty (with the 360 cam), Virtual Reality (LG 360 VR) and Enhanced Camera Functions (LG Cam Plus). There are also a few other modules available overseas but not beyond arms reach.  I for one am super intrigued by the LG Hi-Fi Plus just to say I’ve owned a B&O (Bang & Olufsen) speaker system but the LG Rolling Bot might also be an honorable mention if it ever crosses seas.  Regardless, I love fun and I love options.

Again, the LG G5 just seems like it’s built for the long haul and again I’m proud to have LG by my side.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

5 Comments

1.pngI have been curious about the LG Cam Plus since LG announced the LG Friends for the LG G5. A couple of weeks ago I added a LG Cam Plus to my LG G5 and I am really enjoying the enhancements it adds to the camera. Cam Plus adds a physical button for turning the camera on/off, zoom, shutter and recording. The LG CAM Plus comes with a built-in 1,200 mAh battery to power the camera module and will also charge the LG G5 battery when the camera is in use. One of things I have found that I really like is the ability to zoom in and out with the Zoom Key. The Zoom Key makes it a lot easier to take advantage of the rear camera lens on the G5.

There are a few steps to go through in adding the Cam Plus module to the G5 and they are very easy. The hardest part in adding the LG Cam Plus to my G5 was removing the battery from the chin of the phone because it felt like it might break. Another member of our team posted a blog on how to remove the battery here LG G5 - Proper Battery Removal

Once the battery has been removed, insert the battery into the Cam Plus module and slide it into the G5. Pull up the Friends app to start the installation of the LG Cam Plus Manager app. I captured several screenshots of this process along with updating the software on the Cam Plus.

Install 1.PNG

Installing the Cam Plus was easy and only took about 2 minutes to install. My Cam Plus had a software update available and this took a little more time to than the install. Mostly because I was learning the buttons and trying to use them both at the same time without dropping my G5. I had to press and hold On/Off key and Record key at the same time for 5 seconds, I was not sure I had the Record key pressed so I went through this step of the update a few times.

Install 2.PNG

The question I have received from some demos of the Cam Plus with my G5 is why do I like and what are the advantages of having it. For me the biggest advantage is Zoom in/out Key (wheel) provides the ability to take advantage of both lens when zooming in or out. This is much easier than tapping on the screen to see which lens to use for taking a picture. Plus, using the Zoom Wheel I am able to capture my subject much faster with the Zoom Key. When you have a 3 and 6 year old running around, you have to be very fast to capture them.... The ability to use autofocus with a half-press of shutter key is helpful and similar to my Nikon.

LG G5 Cam+.pngexperience-of-real-1600x840_CAM-Plus_M01C.jpg

The Cam Plus provides the ability to take pictures with one hand, although I still use both hands for comfort and safety. On the back of Cam Plus is a raised back with rubber backing to make it easier to grip with one hand. Another reason I use both hands is with the Cam Plus attached, my Spigen case cannot be used so the phone is unprotected from accidental drops. I did find a 3rd party clear gel case made for the G5 with Cam Plus attached that I have ordered from South Korea.

I really like the Cam Plus attachment and it really enhances the camera features on the LG G5 and only adds 1.95 oz to the phone. Those I have shown the Cam Plus to have liked it also and said they would pick one up for their G5.

For more information on the LG G5, please visit  https://www.sprint.com/landings/lg-g5/index.html and check out the LG Cam Plus.

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Well folks, 6 weeks has flown by with the LG5, and this will be my last official blog on the device. I can’t believe I am an LG convert now. I don’t know why I never ended up with one before, but now I can enthusiastically recommend an LG along with the other device brands that I have used.  But why have I been sold on this device?

Some features that will be sure to tip the scale:

• Quick Charging – Much has been said about this feature from my fellow product ambassadors (Troy Glidden’s blog is in link), and although I haven’t had a chance to test to the extent they have – I can attest to being pleasantly surprised with how quickly my phone charges up. I do dislike not being able to use the many chargers that around my home already, it does feel cool to have my phone charge in record time.
  • Removable Battery (link to Troy’s blog on this topic). I never really understood why devices wouldn’t have a battery that you could replace, so I am glad to once again have one that I can replace if needed. But the battery itself is great – nice and strong and lasts long (link to Jpointelin’s blog on this topic).
  • Super Cool Camera features like the 360 Camera (link to Allizproc’s blog on this topic) and the Dual Camera (Hung Bui’s blog link).

The LG standard items that really made me happy: 

• LG Management Folder (link to my blog) – I do really like the shortcuts to see how my phone is being used, what is draining the battery, and how long until the battery is dead.
  • Photo sharing (link to my blog) – I have yet to really explore all of the functions of the camera. I did just start playing around with the 360 Photo feature. But I still say the ease of sharing photos and videos for me has been key.

It is just a great phone. If you have used others and have never tried an LG – I say go for it. My peer Mike Berger says it great in his blog A Phone that Just Works: “I'm sure the G5 beats many phones on benchmark tests, and there might even be one or two that beat it.  It doesn't matter in the real world.  This phone just runs like a champ all the time. It just works.”

This is the time to buy one too – limited time offer.  So go and try it out!

https://www.sprint.com/landings/promotions/index.html?INTNAV=LeftNavSmiley FrustratedhopSmiley Very Happyeals

And finally – Don’t forget about #CopaAmerica – final games Saturday and Sunday! http://www.ca2016.com/matches

Thanks for reading everyone!

0 Comments

So lately, I've taken to getting a case but eventually taking off the case to make the phone fit more comfortable in the pockets of my slacks. This is a trend that I decided to break with the LG G5. The phone itself is already pretty thin and the case I got (a Spigen Tough Armor) is also pretty thin. I liked how it looked and how thin it was and I liked how it didn't interfere with the fingerprint scanner but, truthfully, the reason I didn't take off the case was because felt too lazy to take it off. lol

The case comes with a kick stand, too, which is impressive considering how thin the case is. The kick stand has come in useful several times. Just recently, I was trying to entertain my 8 month daughter a video for a few seconds while I grabbed a few things but I needed to keep the phone away from her little hands.

Which brings me to the following... If you put a phone away from a child's little hands, make sure the the charge cable is also away from arm's length. My 9 month old grabbed the power cable and pulled hard.

Not that I haven't dropped it myself... I've noticed that I haven't been babying the LG G5 the way I baby other phones. I don't know if it's because it has a decent case on it or because with two very young children, I just don't have the attention energy to protect the phone as much.  I've dropped it too many times to count at this point. Many of those were pretty hard. You can tell that I haven't been careful with it because the poor case is scratched up pretty badly.

20160621_124953.jpg

Thank you, case. Thank you for taking the damage so my nice new pretty phone doesn't. This makes me think I should go back to always keeping the cases on my phones.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

Hey again, everyone!

(If images appear compressed on a computer screen, click the image to enlarge.  If images appear compressed on mobile, long press the image and select to open in new tab/window to enlarge)

I wanted to take a moment to help with some battery removal questions I have received from people in my discussions about the LG G5. 

Some people feel as though they are going to break the battery, or believe that the battery is inseparable from the “chin” of the device (the charging port/speaker assembly that the battery is connected to).  This is not the case; the battery is fully removable and interchangeable with another one if you have one.

20160617_163440_resized.jpg

Once you’ve ejected the battery from the device using the button on the lower left of the device, you are ready to remove the battery from the chin.  There is a special technique to properly removing it, so let’s go through that now.

You want to remove it left to right/right to left and not front to back/back to front.  The battery should be flat and facing you, and you need to grip the battery with one hand and grip the chin with another.  From there, you can lift up the chin from left to right/right to left to remove it from the battery.  If you attempt to pull it off the other way, you will see a bubble in your battery paper and the battery will flex slightly.

20160617_163452_resized.jpg20160617_163510_resized.jpg

Once you’ve removed the battery, you’re ready to replace it.  Just slide it into place and snap the chin into the bottom of the battery and you’ll hear the snap.  It’s as easy as that!

cliche.jpg

Here’s a video to help provide a better visual over the images above!

As always, thank you for reading and/or watching.

Until next time!

~ Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Hey again, everyone!

(If images appear compressed on a computer screen, click the image to enlarge.  If images appear compressed on mobile, long press the image and select to open in new tab/window to enlarge)

I had the LG G4 last year and blogged about it through the Product Ambassador Team just like I am doing now for the LG G5.  I previously wrote an article on using Ringtone ID on the LG G4, and thought it would be useful to have a new one on the LG G5 since the feature transferred over to the new device.

Check out my LG G4 blog on Ringtone ID Here

Ringtone ID - What is it?

Ringtone ID is a fun way to automatically assign a different ringtone to the people who call you.  The phone determines a different melody sequence based on the numbers in the phone number that is calling you.  Each tone is unique, which takes some time out of assigning a specific ringtone to each contact. 

How to access / turn on 

To access Ringtone ID and turn it on, navigate to Settings (slide your notification tray down and click the gear in the upper right), then click 'Sound,' and scroll to 'Ringtone ID.' From here, you can simply slide the switch to 'ON,' or you can customize it a bit by tapping on the Ringtone ID option.

Settings_Overview.png

In the customization settings, make sure to slide the feature to ON. Then, you can click on 'Compose Ringtones for' and select the option you want.  The three options include all incoming calls, contacts only, or favorites only.  This allows you to customize the callers that will have a unique melody play each time they call you. 

RingtoneID_Options_Overview.png

RingtoneID_Options.png

I have set mine to all incoming calls, which will give each incoming call a unique tone.  With this setting turned on, or even the 'contacts only' option turned on, you can preview the ringtone that you will hear when a particular number calls you.  Simply navigate to your contacts by tapping the phone icon and clicking contacts at the top.  Click a contact and you will see the 'ringtone ID' under the ringtone section.  Click the play button to hear what the ringtone will sound like when that caller calls you.

Contacts.png

Contact_View.png 

The Ringtone ID feature was a nice addition to the LG G4, and I am happy to see that it has made its way to the LG G5 as well.  It is just another feature that enhances personalization of the device to fit your needs and preferences.  Sure, you can download numerous ringtones from various apps such as Zedge, but it takes time and valuable space in your phone.  The Ringtone ID feature makes it convenient to set unique personalized ringtones for each contact or caller, and it doesn?t take up any additional space on the device. 

If you want to see it in action and/or hear how Ringtone ID works, check out my video below!

As always, thank you for reading.  Have you used Ringtone ID? How do you like it?  

Until next time!

~ Troy

1 Comment

LG G5 - In case of an Emergency - Sprint Product Ambassador

Our phones are an extension of ourselves and with that they are our lifeline to our family and friends. When phones are locked the only emergency call that can be made is 911. But what if the emergency requires the need to engage your partner, spouse, or favorite contact and you are unable to unlock your phone to assist. First responders now have the ability with a few changes to the phone to allow added users to be included in the emergency call out option.

One feature I enable on my phone is the Contact info for lost phones. This features shows contact info on the lock screen in the event the phone is lost. Under Settings in the display section select "Lock Screen". Under the section Customize select "Contact info for lost phone". Here you can write a message which appears on the lock screen at the bottom of the phone. Some people put their spouse, partner or favorite contact number to call. I put my name on it so it is displayed on the screen.  Next click the radial button to have the message begin to be displayed. It can be updated and changed anytime simply come back to this section.

Screenshot_2016-06-16-14-31-42.png Screenshot_2016-06-16-14-31-51.png Screenshot_2016-06-16-14-32-00.png

Next, navigate to your phones contacts by either clicking the contacts Icon or clicking the phone icon and select contacts at the top.  Scroll all the way to the top. Listed will be the contact ICE (Incase of an Emergency) - Emergency Contact. Click to open this contact card up. At the top you will see 911 already listed. Underneath is your contact emergency info. Here you can put your full name, blood type, any medications being taken, any allergies, or medical issues first responders should know about. Click save when finished. Next under the contact card when you go back it states you can add up to 5 additional people that can be displayed as emergency contacts and accessible even if you phone is locked.

Screenshot_2016-06-16-14-32-162.png Screenshot_2016-06-16-15-28-31.png Screenshot_2016-06-16-14-32-45.png Screenshot_2016-06-16-14-37-27.png

To add users select the plus icon in the bottom left corner. It will then bring up your phone contacts. Scroll and click on the contacts you wish to add to your emergency contacts. Once complete click done and now the contacts are added. To test the emergency contacts. Lock your phone, turn on the screen and swipe up the phone icon. Next click "Emergency Call" this will bring you to your emergency contacts folder. Here you can now call 911 view your health information or make an emergency call to a friend or loved one that has been added.

By enabling these features and using them you are giving first responders a helping hand should they need information and you are unable to respond. They are able to contact a friend or loved one and advise of the situation and obtain immediately information regarding you. I hope this can give a little piece of mind to those that are caught in an emergency.  While I never hope anyone is ever put in harm way this feature can be used to both help you and save lives.

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Disclaimer:
The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Despite significant advances to practically every part of the modern day smartphone, but good battery

life was one aspect that most smartphones had trouble making significant improvements in. Despite

Android's efforts in several iterations of their operating system, it wasn't until Marshmallow that we

started to see a huge leap in efficiency, but, despite some improvement, some phones still suffered

from their battery blues. The LG G5 is luckily one of those phones.

lg-g5-01.jpg

(source)

I have several devices updated to Android 6.x (Marshmallow), ranging from the Nexus 6, to the Moto

X Pure and Samsung Galaxy S6, and battery life on the LG G5 seems to outpace any of them. The S6

always suffered from battery issues, so I gave it a pass (not to say battery life did not improve with

Marshmallow, but there's only so much one can do with so much running in the background and a

2550maH battery), but the Nexus and Moto X, despite their significant improvements and relatively

great battery life, they never "wow'ed" me. I can use my G5 to check facebook several times an hour,

send emails, upload videos and photos, text a lot (like, hundreds a day), use GPS to find my way

around town, and I'd still only be at around 50% by 4 pm. It actually amazes me every morning when

I reach for my phone and start reading the headlines that, after several articles and perusing my facebook

feed for about 30 minutes to an hour, battery life has only gone down 2-5%. That is extremely impressive

to me. A factor may be that I don't like my screen too bright, especially in the morning or late at night, and

end up using a blue light filter during those times (I'd recommend one, but beware of certain issues with

those and Marshmallow, which I'll talk about in the next blog).

http://cdn02.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/LG-G5-14-840x560.jpg

(source)

Overall, I'm surprised at how well the battery has been holding up, and am glad that I have the ability to

switch it out easily if it ever goes bad. So, even if you are having a different battery experience, we can

agree that having a swappable battery is a universally good thing.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

We interrupt this LG 5 Product Ambassador review to talk about #Copa America.

What is Copa America? The Copa América Centenario is an international men's football (soccer to us Americans) tournament being held in the United States in 2016. The competition is the first Copa América hosted outside of South America. And the games are being held all over the US – and lucky me Soldier Field in Chicago is host of some of the games!

Full Disclosure – I am not someone who follows football, but I have many friends who do. But a party is a party when it comes to events down on the Museum Campus on Chicago’s lakefront.

Sprint is a sponsor of the event, but we are also providing other incentives along with the events. We have online contests, are providing a free trial of the Fubo TV application to watch the games (you can use it to watch the games tonight!) and we are advertising heavily (like at the games themselves – see the pictures below). 

Sprint is also creating an immersive and engaging fan experience at 27 matches, which will include an interactive digital wall, 360° photo booth where fans will get digital downloads of their photos for social sharing, and charging stations. Some locations will feature appearances and autograph signings from famous soccer legends. (Check for details here: https://latino.sprint.com/soccer/copa-america/?ECID=vanity:copa)  In addition, Sprint conducted 5G demonstrations on June 3 and June 6 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara and on June 9, 11 and 14 at Lincoln Field in Philadelphia (Check here for details on that: http://investors.sprint.com/news-and-events/press-releases/press-release-details/2016/Sprint-Demonst... ).

However cool the 5G demo is, I think the coolest thing about Copa America for Sprint is how we are interacting with our communities. Seriously, follow the hashtag #Sprint4Copa on Twitter to get some fantastic stories of flag bearers, Marcelo’s enthusiasm and how much fun our teams are having. https://twitter.com/hashtag/Sprint4Copa?src=hash.

If you are lucky enough to be close to one of the local cities, do yourself a favor and go check out the action: Here is the schedule and here are all of the cites who still have games: http://www.ca2016.com/matches Boston (Gillette Stadium), Chicago (Soldier Field), Houston (NRG Stadium), New York (MetLife Stadium), Phoenix (University of Phoenix Stadium), San Francisco (Levi's Stadium) and Seattle (CenturyLink Field). I know I’m looking forward to the Semi Finals in Chicago next Wednesday!

copa1.jpgcopa2.jpeg

0 Comments

I'm sure we've all been there: We're out somewhere with our friends or family and find that someone's phone is about to die. Imagine you are on your way to a theme park. You are driving with your significant other and your two children. Once you get there, you know that there will be times when you'll be separated as each kid will want to ride different rides. The plan is to just call each other to coordinate where to meet in between rides. The problem is, your significant other's phone is almost dead. You or your significant other forgot to charge it the night before and we don't have a phone charger in hand.

If they have a phone with a USB-C port, there might be something that can be done. The LG G5, because of it's seeming USB Power Delivery v2.0 compatibility, has one trick up its sleeve. When you plug it into another USB Power Delivery v2.0 phone, you can use one G5 to charge the other. In our scenario, this would mean that I could charge my wife's phone on the way to the park. Keep in mind, that I will be sacrificing my own battery for this but my children are young so our park trips aren't too long, anyways.

Below is a video I made to show this.

0 Comments

For selfie lovers, you know sometime it can be difficult to press the capture button to take a photo. Most Android cameras can take voice commands: like Cheese, Shoot, Capture to take photos. I found that nearly half of the time the voice commands do not work because of I am in a noisy environment or even maybe because of my accent :-)

There are times my daughters also thought I was ridiculously loud when shouting at the camera.  The voice command is not appropriate if you are in a crowd and you yell ?shoot? :-)

The LG G5 has the Gesture mode that you can use to take a selfie. The following instruction is taken right of the Help section of the camera help guide. The screen capture below shows you exactly how to do so:

Capture+_2016-06-09-10-35-24.jpg

Hope you like it and find it useful for your next selfie.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

2 Comments

Hey again, everyone!

OK, so you've recently purchased the LG G5 and have picked out (or plan to pick out) a MicroSD Card to expand the memory of your device.  Maybe you intend to use the MicroSD Card to supplement the G5's memory of 32GB and add on an additional 64GB to bring your total on-board memory to 96GB, or perhaps you're just looking for a space to store your music, pictures, and videos.  Whatever the case is, there is one thing you need to think about if you?re intending to merge the MicroSD Card storage with your already-existing storage on your LG G5: Does it support Adoptable Storage?

20160610_112559.jpg

Adoptable Storage

Adoptable storage is the ability to utilize a MicroSD Card as an internal memory partition so that application data and other information can be stored on it natively.  Think of it kind of like upgrading your hard drive in your computer -- you can't just stick a USB drive in to add in extra workable space (You can to an extent, but it's quite cumbersome and inconvenient), therefore you need to add in a larger hard drive. 

Android Marshmallow (Android 6.0) introduced the Adoptable storage feature that has been long awaited by many Android users over the years.  Prior to this, you could "move" apps to the SD Card using manual methods or through available apps, yet the full data for the app never really transferred. There was still a disconnect between native memory and expanded memory.  Android 6.0 sought to change this by allowing users to insert a MicroSD Card into their Android smartphone and adopt the external memory into internal memory.  This would allow you to take your 32GB device and expand it to something like 160 GB if using a 128 GB SD Card.  That's a lot of room for applications, data, documents, music, pictures, etc.  

This process seems quite useful, right?  Well, it is, but it is also has the potential to create issues for users who opt to utilize adoptable storage.  Why? Because the adopted storage is then adopted forever and cannot be used in any other media device.  Once the card is adopted into internal memory, it is then encrypted, which would require a reformat of the card when ejected (GASP! ). So, this means that you couldn't simply take the 128GB SD Card you have and move it over to your tablet, PC, or other device without loss of data occurring.  Much like a new pet, once the SD card is adopted, it is in its forever home in your device.  It cannot be passed around to devices (families) without harmful impacts to the data (or emotions, if we?re talking about an animal). 

OEMs and Adoptable Storage

The inconvenience of not being able to utilize a MicroSD Card in different devices is a primary reason many OEMs including LG and Samsung have decided to not support adoptable storage.  The LG G5 falls into this category.

Per Samsung: 

"Samsung decided not to use the Android Marshmallow 'adoptable storage' model. We believe that our users want a microSD card to transfer files between their phone and other devices (laptop, tablet, etc), especially the photos and videos they shoot with the camera.

With adoptable storage, first of all the card may be erased the first time it is inserted into the device. This behavior may be unexpected by many users and we don't want our users to lose their files. Second, once Marshmallow starts using a card for adoptable storage, it cannot be read by other devices, so it loses this ability to be used for file transfer. Adoptable Storage is also primarily targeted towards emerging markets where devices with only 4-8GB of onboard storage are common. We think that our model of using microSD for mass storage is more in-line with our owner's desires and expectations for how microSD should behave." (SOURCE).

LG does not have a public statement about it, but the same user experience issue applies.  LG wants to make using your phone an easy and seamless experience.  It does not want users to become frustrated or have issues when utilizing its device(s). So, the decision to forgo adoptable storage is based on the overall user experience, with the keeping a positive experience in mind. 

Advantages and Disadvantages of Adoptable Storage

There are advantages to adoptable storage, which is why many people want to utilize the feature. First, it expands your available storage space on your device beyond what was included in the box/device. Second, it provides an aspect of customizability to the device that other manufactures or platforms do not have. Finally, it allows you to use your phone the way you want to use it by allowing the install of 100s of applications, the fluid management of documents and other files on a device, and the significant space for photos and videos.

There are disadvantages, however.  We have already discussed the encryption and the need to format the card if it's being ejected, which renders SD Card sharing useless (unless data is deleted). The other disadvantage is the card requirement in terms of speed.  All cards have a class, which represents the read/write speed of the card.  This is the speed at which the data can be accessed and saved on the card, and adoptable storage requires high speed.  A user would need an SD Card that is at least a Class 8, but with UHS-1, 2, or 3 being highly recommended.  Luckily it is easy and affordable to purchase a higher class card these days, however. 

Overview (TL;DR)

Adoptable storage is a new feature (to native Android) that allows users to effectively take at least a Class 8 (UHS 1 - 3 recommended) MicroSD Card and merge it (adopt it) into internal storage to increase the amount of on-board storage a device has. It allows users to expand the available storage space on a device for various reasons. 

However, it is not supported on the LG G5 for customer experience concerns.  Once a MicroSD Card has been adopted into internal storage, it is essentially there forever.  Removing the MicroSD Card results in the card needing to be formatted, which removes all user data. 

It can be a highly beneficial feature, but considering the drawbacks of having non-portable storage, it is understandable that LG, and even Samsung, have not embraced adoptable storage at this time.  The manufacturers want users to be satisfied with their devices, not frustrated, nor do they want users to end up losing countless amounts of data. 

Adoptable storage is convenient for some users, but for the majority of users, it is not.  Therefore, you should not use adoptable storage, or the lack thereof, as a deciding factor in your device purchase decision. 

As always, thank you for reading.  What are your thoughts on adoptable storage? 

Until next time!

~ Troy

0 Comments

Who doesn’t love attachables and upgrades?  We all like gadgets or you wouldn’t be reading this to learn what options exist.  With the LG G5 you are in luck – LG released several “Friends” to go along with the device….there is a 3600 camera, virtual reality headset, the LG Cam plus, an LG Charging Cradle and the LG Tone Platinum headphones plus you can buy an extra battery to swap out. 

The modularity side of being able to plug in and out different attachables include the LG Cam plus and the extra battery.  These can be added by simply removing the existing battery and either replacing with another battery or plugging in the LG Cam plus.  This camera allows you to have a more traditional camera experience by having a true shutter button, a zoom dial and a hand grip. 

LG G5 Cam plus.jpg

*photo credited to androidauthority.com

Another option is the 3600 camera will shoot photos of the surrounding area without having to rotate your camera – removing the worry of moving your arm too fast or too slow to get the perfect shot.  The camera will also take videos and allow you to choose between 360 degree photos or 180 degree photos with the touch of a button.  This does not actually attach to the device but is controlled by the device through Bluetooth connectivity.

LG G5 360 Cam.jpg

*photo credited to androidauthority.com

Has anyone used either of the camera or any of the other “Friends” for the LG G5 – would love to hear about them if you have!

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

For selfie lovers, you know sometime it can be difficult to press the capture button to take a photo. Most Android cameras can take voice commands: like Cheese, Shoot, Capture to take photos. I found that nearly half of the time the voice commands do not work because of I am in a noisy environment or even maybe because of my accent :-)

There are times my daughters also thought I was ridiculously loud when shouting at the camera.  The voice command is not appropriate if you are in a crowd and you yell ?shoot? :-)

The LG G5 has the Gesture mode that you can use to take a selfie. The following instruction is taken right of the Help section of the camera help guide. The screen capture below shows you exactly how to do so:

Capture+_2016-06-09-10-35-24.jpg

Hope you like it and find it useful for your next selfie.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

0 Comments

lg-g5-01.jpg

It is safe to say that most new high end smartphones have screen sizes of 5" and above now, which

makes us wonder how we survived so long with anything smaller. While most offerings are some

popular options are between 5.0 and 5.1. inches, or 5.5 to 5.7, the LG G5 hits a perfect balance of

screen real estate and practicality. Some may argue that the full display size should not be counted

since the phone has on screen home buttons, but there is a setting in the phone display options to

hide them while using whatever apps you specify. To access those settings:

>Pull down the top bar and select the cog icon

>Go to the display tab

>Select the Home Touch buttons category

>Select "Hide Home touch buttons"

>Select whichever apps you'd like to have the home buttons disappear in

**The Home touch buttons can also be customized, including adding other useful buttons to the bar, like

for Qslide or Capture.

For me, it is the best of both worlds. I was initially against onscreen home buttons because I was worried

about screen real estate, but I changed my mind after using my phone late at night and being unable to

lower the brightness on the capacitive buttons. It's a killer. Luckily, the LG G5 does not have that problem,

and has enough customization features in the Home Buttons category to make anyone change their

mind about them.

0 Comments

G5 photo.pngG5 logo.pngEvery new smartphone is fast.  That is, they are fast at first, until you actually start using them and filling them up with apps, photos and music.  Then they start to lag.  Then you start counting the days until your phone contract is up so you can finally get a faster phone.  You just want to use your phone.  You just want it to work.

I've been using the LG G5 for several weeks now and have put it through some torture tests.  I'll be totally frank here; the LG G5 doesn't support installing apps to the SD card.  I use a lot of apps, and have always installed as many as I could to SD. I anticipated that I would have a problem with both space and speed with this new device.

First of all, I tried my hardest to give the G5 an unfair disadvantage.  I installed as many apps that I could possibly need into its 32GB of storage.  I installed apps that I likely wouldn't be using.  I installed apps that I've accumulated over the years from Amazon's free app of the day program.  When I was done installing every app under the sun, I started installing music and eBooks. Then I installed multiple e-reading apps.  In short, I tried to sabotage my new phone.

I had several games open.  I had social media apps open.  I had company email open.  The camera app always seemed to be running in the background as did Snapseed and Perfectly Clear.  At some times, I had Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and Moon+ Reader Pro all running at the same time. I had Chrome and Opera duking it out. In Opera's case, I had nearly 100 tabs running.  I had LG's Quick Remote, Peel Smart Remote, Android TV Remote, Google Cast and Tablo all running simultaneously.  Every single photo I take is automatically backed up to Google Photo, Flickr, and Amazon's cloud.

At one time, I had LG Health, Samsung's S Health, and Google Fit all fighting for contention of my pedometer.

Here's what happened.

Nothing.

Or, more accurately, nothing bad. Because everything happened, just as it should have, right when it should have.  The phone never hiccupped.  Not once. It just took everything I threw at it and kept chugging along.

So, I changed the battery saver on to slow the CPU down.  The Game Optimizer was never even turned off, so video setting having even been cranked up to max yet.Screenshot_2016-06-09-12-26-37.png

The phone still works fine. Yeah, the screen is a bit dimmer with battery saver on, but all my superfluous apps just run. (I did uninstall Google Fit and S Health and am just relying on LG Health at this point.)

So, yeah, it doesn't let you move apps to an SD card.  That is 100% true, and something that I really thought would matter.  It doesn't.  Not at all.

You can still have all your photos, videos, music, and eBooks saved to SD.  That works brilliantly, and is probably a good design feature.  Not all SD are created equally.  Even if they have the same specs printed on the label, they won't perform the same.  Some brand will disappoint you.  Some will utterly fail you.  There are only three brands that I personally trust. 

Put yourself in LG's shoes for a moment.  They first engineer and then build a great phone.  It's smoking fast and has tons of memory.  A customer buy the cheapest SD card they can afford and start installing apps to it.  Apps that they use everyday and depend on.  The SD card might be slower than the memory built into the phone.  Maybe SD card starts to fail.  The customer doesn't realize this is the culprit.  From the customer's perspective, their new phone isn't working the way it should.  They just want it to work, and it's not. Suddenly, a phone isn't performing as designed and it's 100% out of the hands of the manufacturer.  By restricting what can and can't be put on the SD card, LG has ensured that this phone will work great for every single one of their customers.

You won't find any benchmark test results here because you can find those all over the Internet but also because they are boring and meaningless at this point.  Seriously.  This phone is really fast and it has enough memory capacity.  I'm sure the G5 beats many phones on benchmark tests, and there might even be one or two that beat it.  It doesn't matter in the real world.  This phone just runs like a champ all the time. 

It just works.

0 Comments

I think the integration of health applications and smartphones was brilliant. And I loved how my Fitbit and phone would communicate with each other easily. I didn?t like the battery drain of having to use Bluetooth, but for the most part it was an easy tech for me to learn.  Just in time for me to test the LG 5 applications, however, I lost my Fitbit last week. So since June 1st I have been tracking my exercise using the LG Health application (which came pre-loaded in the LG application folder ? along with QuickRemote, SmartWorld, and QuickMemo+. See photo, and more on them below).

Capture _2016-06-07-09-04-06_resized.png

I am not a very techy health person (as I am not a very techy person anyway). But I like to know how many steps I have done, how active I have been, and if a machine can somehow motivate or remind me to move more than I am happy.

The LG Health is really easy to activate. I didn?t have to go and create an account or anything like that with Fitbit or the other applications. I inputted the usual Height and Weight ? and then the goals ? and it helped me figure out how many steps I would need daily. I can customize different settings ? even sync it with my Google Fit if I want.  (See photo 2).

Capture _2016-06-07-09-08-21_resized.png

But for me getting the steps and the data for how much I am moving is the real winner. And I like how it shows the data in a circle so I can see how often I am moving (I work at home, so it sometimes can be harder for me to make that effort). There are challenges too that come pre-loaded (Power Walking, Running, Stair Climbing and Cycling). (See photo 3).

Capture _2016-06-07-09-09-29_resized.png

I have lots more to explore ? can?t wait to try some of the challenges! And will be looking forward to see how it uses the data it collects to motivate me.

A word about the other applications loaded in the LG Folder. I haven?t looked into using them yet, but the descriptions are making it so I?m going to be soon!

• QuickRemote: turns your phone into a Universal Remote for your home TV, set top box, and audio system. You can set up and display up to four remotes. (ooo! I will win the ?what to watch? war!)
  • LG SmartWorld is LG's storefront that offers apps for LG smart TVs as well as mobile devices, which gives LG a place to distribute their own apps and themes for said devices. (Any of you all use this?)
  • The QuickMemo+ feature allows you to create memos and capture screen shots. You can use QuickMemo+ to easily and efficiently create memos during a call, with a saved picture, or on the current phone screen. (Oh my gosh this sounds so great!).

Next week ? I take on #CopaAmerica ? any of you following the games? Have you tried the application to watch the games?

0 Comments

LG has certainly made this LG G5 device interesting by packing several fun and useful features. After more than two weeks using the phone, I am still discovering more and more camera features that I have to learn. packed two cameras on the G5:

20160516_143632.jpg

On the back of the camera, you can see two lens: the main camera is a 16MP with 78o angle, and the other camera is 8MP with wide angle (135 o) lens. You can select a normal or wide angle shot when taking a photo, a wide angle shot may help you not having to do a pano in most situations.

One feature that I really like is leveraging both camera through a mode called ?popup? shot. Where the main camera takes a photo in the center of the photo, while the wide angle lens is taking the surround background.  You can also apply different effects on the background as well as different shapes for the center photo.  Below are a few sample ?popup? shots for your viewing:

20160602_085859_Popout.jpg

Surround is blurred out

20160602_085928_Popout.jpg

Surround is left unchanged

20160602_085941_Popout.jpg

Surround is B&W

In order to use the "popup" feature, you should press the ?Mode? button and select "Popup" icon on the main camera:

Screenshot_2016-06-07-15-59-37.jpgThen you can select different options via the icons shown in the square box below:

Screenshot_2016-06-07-16-00-07.jpgHave fun playing with the LG G5 camera.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

0 Comments

G5 logo.pngG5 photo.pngThe main lens of the G5 already lets in more light than most smartphones, which means that it will produce better photographs in low light.  It also has a slightly wider field of view than other smartphones, which provides a natural form of image stabilization.  It goes a step further with a clever device known as optical image stabilization, or OIS for short.

Suppose you are about to take a photo, but just as you touch the screen or press the down-volume button to take it, you jerk the phone just a bit.  The OIS employed on the G5 can move the lens slightly in the opposite direction that you may have moved.  In 3-Axis.pngfact, this particular OIS system moves the lens along three different axises; vertically, horizontally, and rotationally, (clockwise or counter-clockwise).  It does this very quickly, and can move in any of the three axises needed for any given shot.

To activate it, open the camera app on your G5 then press on the gear icon in the corner of your screen; it will either be top-left or Screenshot_2016-06-08-13-59-11.pngbottom-left corner of your screen depending on how your phone is orientated. The icon you are looking for is a hand with shaky lines around it indicating movement.  It is labeled "OIS", but can be toOIS.jpgggled to "Steady", which then shows an icon with a camcorder and a hand.  For still photography, leave it on "OIS"; for video, change it to "Steady".

Video recording never uses the full resolution of the sensor, so enabling "Steady" allows the G5 to automatically use digital steady.jpgstabilization by varying the crop area it selects the video from.  You essentially have a buffer space of recording area on the sensor that would not normally be used for recording that now can be accessed in order to provide less apparent movement.  It works very well in practice.  You would not want to use this steady-cam method for still photography though, as you would be effectively reducing the resolution of your photographs. 

Very nice photos can be taken in incredibly low light with the triple threat 20160603_211310_HDR-01.jpgof a slightly wider angle lens, the wide aperture, and the excellent three axis optical stabilization built into the G5's main camera.  Remember too that you can also shoot RAW images on the G5 and develop them with apps such as Snapseed.  This will give you even better low light performance.  Go out and see what you can do at20160607_203525_HDR-01.jpg night without the flash.  You'll be impressed at how sharp your photos will come out.

#lg #low_light #g5 #lg_g5 #ois #copa_america #usa_vs_costa_rica

0 Comments

Just last week, I took the family to Disney's Magic Kingdom. When we were there, as I walked into this building so that my oldest could meet up with Mickey Mouse, I noticed that the building itself was pretty interesting and that I wanted take a picture of it. I took the photo and this is what came out:

20160530_183755.jpg

The picture was not exactly what I was expecting. It didn't match up with what I was physically seeing with my own two eyes. This is because the field of view of most point and shoots and cell phones is no where near as wide as the field of view of a set of human eyes. I was just standing too close to the building for my camera to take in the whole building. I could walk back a bit (well, a lot) to get the shot but then I would have ended up with a lot more people walking through the shot.

Luckily, the LG G5 has two rear cameras that function very differently, in a very complementary manner. The first camera is a 16 megapixel, f/1.8 lens, with a standard field of view. The second camera, on the other hand, has an extremely wide field of view of 135º. What does this mean? It means you get a LOT more of the sides that you would get on a standard camera.

20160530_183750.jpg

This picture was much much closer to what I could see with my own two eyes. There are some side effects to the wide lens, though. If you stand too close to something (like the side walk), you risk warping it in the picture. This happens with all wide lenses, including our eyes, but our eyes have built in error correction. But this is nothing a little bit of photoshop (or even MSpaint) couldn't fix.

If you want a live example of how much more you can see on the camera and don't have a G5 on hand, try the following:

Face any direction and look straight ahead. Without moving your eyes, take note of what you can see in your peripheral vision. (Not the very fringes of your sight, though, since human's have a really high field of view). Now take out your non-G5 phone and open the camera. Place it right in front of you, parallel to your eyes. Look at what the edges of the camera can capture. Notice the camera can't capture nearly as much as your eyes can. Well, the G5's secondary camera can capture most of that detail.

This field of view allows the camera to replace the need for panorama shots when taking group photos of large groups, the need to back away from items just so you can get the whole item in the picture, etc. In a way, it's like a reverse zoom!

0 Comments

Quick and Easy Video Effects on the LG G5 Make Videos Fun - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Despite the fact that I review countless exciting new Sprint Phones and devices, I’m ultimately just like you.  Although I love to dig into configuration and features, sometimes I don’t want read the manual and often rely or reading quick blogs (just like mine) to learn a process or neat trick.  That being said, I’m always happy to report how LG is just packed with some of these quick & exciting features that require zero time and effort.

Queue in my favorite post recorded video editing templates.

We’ve all been there. You are in the heat of the moment you have your phone in hand and actually are capturing the exciting moment. The light is good, the focus is good but when you look back at the video it’s just a little bland.  Well, LG has you covered and despite this feature living in the formal editing section, it only requires a couple clicks to spit out a video that you can be proud of.

To access this greatness, merely start playing the video and tap on the screen to reveal the editing icon at the top of the screen.

Screenshot_2016-06-05-13-41-42.jpg

Now don’t be freaked out by the timeline at the bottom, we are only concerned with this magic icon at the top.

Capture+_2016-06-05-13-22-41.png

Click it to reveal your templates and you are on your way down easy street from here on out.  You’ll be surprised how just one of those pre-made templates can set the mood and maybe add back some of the feelings you lost. I especially like adding some music that doesn’t drown out the existing audio and only adds a little subtitle vibe.

Effects.jpg

Feel Free to check out some samples on what these templates can bring you.  The video below shows my close friend, Doug welding some steel and making sparks.  Now, I thought it was super cool at the time but it kind lost a little of the raw molten energy that I was seeing at the time (Eh, maybe I’m just easily amused by sparks). Anyways, check out the examples 

Original Video:

Now watch the video again with LG's turn-key "Drama" Effect and Music Applied:

Well, not sure if the effect supplemented the heat coming off of the torch but it definitely gave the video a bit more excitement.  Look no further than the supplied templates to make those videos post worthy in a matter of moments.  I love easy templates and with the G5, Life Is Good indeed.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Top.PNG

I have had my LG G5 for 3 weeks and my Spigen case for 4 weeks because I have to protect my phone from accidents. Whenever I have a new phone coming, I always check Spigen to see if they have a case for it. Then I go and check to see if they have the Slim Armor version available as it is my favorite for multiple reasons. The Spigen Slim Armor case offers my LG G5 Military Grade protection from dropping my phone and my phones do have a tendency to fall out of my truck.

feature_g5_sa.jpg

The Military Grade certification is just a plus for me as Spigen adds so many other things to the case that I enjoy from the kickstand to keeping the case very slim while keeping my G5 protected. I have never had a problem with any of phones protected by Spigen and all the cutouts for charger, mics ect have perfect unlike some other cases I have tried.

One case I tried out, I had to cut away some of the polyurethane in order to use my headphone jack. Another case I tried the polyurethane would lose its flexibility and require me to keep stretching it back over the edge of the phone to protect it. While some other cases were so thick that it made the phone seem like a brick.

MS.PNG

There are multiple case manufactures out there for the LG G5 and other phones. I have used Spigen cases now for over 2 years and love them over all the others I have tried. Pick one that you know will protect your phone and not add a lot of bulk to the phone.

I mentioned the kickstand earlier and it is the real bonus on my Spigen case for my G5. My daughter likes to watch YouTube videos on her phone and it does not have a Spigen case or a kickstand... she told me the other day she wants a case like mine because it has a kickstand. Often she will prop her phone up against something only for it to only slide down and have to prop it up again... I did not know about Spigen cases when I had my LG Optimus G my daughter uses for watching YouTube videos.

One of the things I love about LG is that they continue to support their customers by providing a microSD card slot. I can store several movies on a 64GB microSD card for my G5 and prop it up with the builtin Spigen kickstand to watch movies on the 5.3" 2560x1440 Quad HD display. The G5 has been great for watching movies while on the go...

g5 gunmetal.jpg

For more information on the LG G5, please visit  https://www.sprint.com/landings/lg-g5/index.html and check out the LG G5 Spigen Slim Armor case.

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

G5 logo.pngG5 photo.pngsandisk-ultra-200gb-microsd.jpg

The LG G5 supports micro SD cards up to 200 Gigabytes in capacity, which means that you could store over thirty-thousand photographs taken at full resolution.

Use the tiny SD tray removal tool that came with your phone to remove the tray, or, if you've lost it, you can use a paperclip.

IMGP4550.JPG

IMGP4553.JPGIMGP4558.JPG

Carefully insert the Micro SD card into the left and larger slot of the tray, then return the tray to its cavity.  Power the phone back on.

Launch the camera app.

Screenshot_2016-06-03-16-48-30.png

You can always toggle camera storage to the internal memory of the phone or the Micro SD card by access the setting menu in the camera.

Screenshot_2016-06-03-16-48-48.pngScreenshot_2016-06-03-16-48-52.png

It is also useful for storing mp3's or possibly documents, such as e-books. I use it to download albums from Amazon Prime for listening to offline.

Screenshot_2016-06-03-16-04-29.png

Screenshot_2016-06-03-16-04-34.png

You can get detailed instructions on adding a micro SD card to your G5 at the URL below.

http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/lgg5/content/lg_g5_ug/insert_a_microsd_card.html